Reminder Secure

Hogging the middle lane on the M1

Jonathan is off-line
05 June 2013 13:55
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

Relax, take it easy and float down-stream with the Sandy Camel

05 June 2013 14:04
Webbo2
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
So if I am doing 70 in the middle lane, over-taking lorries doing 60 etc, then what am I doing wrong just staying there ?  Surely nothing should catch up with me as then the other vehicle would be doing over 70 and acting illegally ?

I hope that this makes sense and I genuinely believe that I must be missing some-thing so please educate me.

Jonathan.

I, like many others, do not stick to 70mph, I'll admit that straight away. I think the issue for me personally is that when there is no traffic in the left lane other than myself, and I catch up to a 70mph driver in the middle lane then it means that I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake rather than one had they just moved over to the left lane. For some reason I see driving at 80mph as acceptable yet undertaking morally wrong 
EYUP!

Jonathan is off-line
05 June 2013 14:08
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from Webbo2
I, like many others, do not stick to 70mph, I'll admit that straight away. I think the issue for me personally is that when there is no traffic in the left lane other than myself, and I catch up to a 70mph driver in the middle lane then it means that I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake rather than one had they just moved over to the left lane. For some reason I see driving at 80mph as acceptable yet undertaking morally wrong 

Fair comment - I am in a minority sticking to the speed limit to be honest - it is so obvious when I am on the M1 - and I feel like an anoyance to other drivers for doing so 

05 June 2013 14:11
Webbo2
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
Fair comment - I am in a minority sticking to the speed limit to be honest - it is so obvious when I am on the M1 - and I feel like an anoyance to other drivers for doing so 

I don't see others driving at the speed limit as an annoyance at all, because for most part they are in the left lane and have no effect on my travels. The real annoyances for me are the 100mph right lane drivers who are completely comfortable 5ft from my rear bumper should I be in 'their' lane overtaking.
EYUP!

05 June 2013 14:13
silverk
Photographer

Quote from SandyCamel
I understand that police will soon have the power to give on the spot fines and 3 points for people who hog the middle lane.

I have never under-stood this to be honest - what I mean is this,

The M1 has a 70 mile speed limit. That is the law. If you exceed this then you are acting illegally I believe.

Jonathan.

Pretty sure that assuming you have actually passed a driving test,it states in the highway code that when driving always keep to the left lane unless overtaking (or words to that effect).

Jonathan is off-line
05 June 2013 14:18
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from silverk
Pretty sure that assuming you have actually passed a driving test,it states in the highway code that when driving always keep to the left lane unless overtaking (or words to that effect).

Oh, I see, so the idea is that you can do a maximum of 70 mph AND when appropropriate you must stay in the left hand lane.

That makes perfect sense - thank you.

Another happy ending 

ps: yes I have passed my test and never had any points etc for poor driving over very many years.

Sincerely thank you though - this has puzzled me for years and now I under-stand.

Jonathan is off-line
05 June 2013 14:19
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

if only other drivers under-stood this lol

KHV is online
05 June 2013 14:47
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

I regularly travel up and down the motorways, so over the last few months that would be the M3, M4, M40, M25, M6, M1 & the M54.

Now on the M40 if I travel at a constant 70 or 75MPH to keep fuel consumption at a reasonable level, the Keltica is a naughty person Keltica is a naughty person s on their Keltica is a naughty person 4BY4's fly past me at 90+ then you get the inconsiderate Keltica is a naughty person ers keeping to the middle lane at 60MPH.

I have experienced these twats on all motorways and no amount of flashing or gesticulating with fingers will move the armholes from the 2nd lane, although the 1st lane is empty.

Oh by the way, what the hell is doing 90MPH on the 3rd lane when the 1st and all the 2nd lane is empty.

Just shoot the Keltica is a naughty person ers.

Mantisphoto is off-lineSilver Member
05 June 2013 14:56
mantisphoto
Photographer
mantisphoto
Birmingham

what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR

Jonathan is off-line
05 June 2013 14:57
SandyCamel
Photographer
SandyCamel
Nottinghamshire

Quote from mantisphoto
what really annoys me more than hogging the middle lane is HGV's trying to overtake other HGV's at 56mph on a hill... they need about 10 miles on order to do so and cause massive congestion... GRRRR

ha ha ! I could write a book about what other drivers do to annoy me lol !

I make mistakes some-times though and feel so ashamed   

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
tim
diphoto DJ200 dorrian duncanjames extra_mayo fashionphotography HarishPadalia jackw keltica nemesis NigelAdams pcmphotography philippahh Robinsky Rupert skinz Snooper911 stevegosh Steveh32 Steveharratt sumupp supaglam totalpics vapourtrail
tim