Cold sores!

Jesfish is off-line
03 June 2013 19:20
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

I had a really bad cold sore when I was a child and once a year almost every year it comes back in the same spot.  In the old days we used to use tincture of myhre (sp?) and lavender oil.  I think Blistex is the best thing now but you have to out it on as soon as you feel the cold sore coming!  They are horrible things.  Thanks to the people who remind us it's herpes! 

Gary Lowther is off-lineSilver Member
04 June 2013 03:13
gazbiker
Photographer

Northamptonshire
Brackley

Hi Pixie

I get occasional cold sores and have found a product that certainly stops it in its tracks its called Lysine Lip Clear by Thompsons, just take a couple of tabs when you feel a tingle and sometimes it can stop a attack altogether and certainly reduces the length of time to heal.

Gaz

theperfectgentleman is off-line
10 June 2013 10:16
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectgentleman
Essex
Chelmsford

Hi.
I am troubled when I get run down and as soon as I get the tingle,
I use after shave dabed on with a q tip.
Use a different one (q tip) three times a day and they have always dissapeared.
Tom

Razoir is off-line
10 June 2013 12:59
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from RedChecker
Give the boyfriend a good full-on snog, having bateria from another person's mouth helps neutralise the cold sores

Rubbish.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

11 June 2013 02:00
Gfun
Photographer

May be missing something in this post but there is a whole scientifically proven cold sore industry out there -

Acyclovir is the only drug that can actually have any significant effect of the virus.

It can be purchased at most chemists as Zovirax where its costs ££££ however the identical none branded product that works just as effectively can be had for £1 in poundland or home and bargin type places (if its got 2% Acyclovir written on the pack its the same stuff)

If you do get lots and lots of cold sores your GP may prescribe tablets that work very well in stopping them for a long period.
these are very safe with rarely any side effects. Outside the UK these are often available over the counter in a pharmacy (depends where you are as to if you need a script).

Then Boots also sell an 'Avert light' treatment machine that has been proven to work against the virus £35 if you don't like the idea of drugs.

Finally for the future, a precursor to a vaccine is under development but no promises as to when it will be available.

But personally I find photoshop is the fastest cure ;-)

Baybee is off-lineSilver Member
10 September 2013 06:41
AndreyaW
Model
AndreyaW
Dorset
Bournemouth

Thanks for the tips everyone

I too suffer from this dreaded virus, cancelled a shoot today as my whole chin is covered and my head is throbbing with fever!
I use lysine cream (from Holland and Barrett) only £3.50, and Lysine tablets also from same shop.
I didn't know about the patches, but doubt they would cover mine, as they are massive and I don't feel good either! :-(
My aren't always on the same places either.

jivago Photographic is off-line
10 September 2013 14:24
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Cold sores are caused by the virus Herpes simplex - Therefore, use an anti-viral such as acyclovir (example product=Zovirax). Other than staying healthy, it is that simple!
http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Kaylie Mansfield is off-line
09 May 2014 17:51
kayliem
Model

Hertfordshire
hertford

my boyfriend suffers from them often when his stressed. If you want a natural product to try he uses 'MOA' the green balm. 100% natural ingredients. a small pot will last you ages

jivago Photographic is off-line
10 May 2014 05:57
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Highland
Highlands & Cheshire

Quote from kayliem
my boyfriend suffers from them often when his stressed. If you want a natural product to try he uses 'MOA' the green balm. 100% natural ingredients. a small pot will last you ages

'Natural" has no real meaning in this context. It's a 'rip-off' and one that is marketed a women. It is either effective or it is not. Aciclovir based medicines have scientific rigour behind them. Other stuff does not seem to. Its that simple. Spend your money wisely. In any case Aciclovir was first isolted from the common sponge. Natural enough?   

http://www.jivagophoto.com/

Steve Guy is off-line
10 May 2014 09:51
Sdeve
Photographer

Derbyshire
Derby

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-27330273

Be very careful about doing anything more than a snog.

Campaigners have criticised the Court of Appeal after it rejected a man's appeal against his conviction for infecting a woman with genital herpes.

David Golding, 31, of Braunston in Northamptonshire, had been jailed for 14 months after admitting grievous bodily harm in August 2011.

His appeal was rejected although his sentence was reduced to the three months he had already served in prison.

The Herpes Virus Association said it was "appalled" at the ruling.

The group, which campaigns against the transmission of herpes being treated as a criminal offence, supported Golding throughout his case.

Its director Marian Nicholson said: "We are appalled at the court's failure to overturn the guilty verdict - herpes virus transmission should not be in the legal arena at all.

"Over half the cases of genital herpes are caused by the common facial cold sore type usually [transmitted] by oral sex.

"The implications of the judgment are that any of them [infection carriers] could be sent to prison if they transmit this infection to a partner."

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
ElleLaura Littlemiss01 Winterlilly
AaronKent ansonphotography bbphotos bengie Digitalsugar eyecandiphotography JohnDentonPhoto keltica Kjoservices MazeImages mlp panda49 skymouse Spiritofwales stevegosh Thunder_Photos trixta