Mark Wood is off-line
31 May 2013 12:57
HandsworthPhotography
Photographer
HandsworthPhotography
West Midlands
Birmingham

Quote from modjo30
It was starting to get filled up with people trying to flog photo frames and wedding books, i wan't to go there to look at camera gear and software, nothing more

I think you'll find they were always there - it's just that the last couple of years, they're the only ones that turn up
Mark Handsworth Photography

Jon E is off-line
03 June 2013 14:15
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Devon
Seaton, E Devon.

I don't like to be critical of the organisers, because they have a damned near impossible task every year, but the hard fact is that in 24 years of exhibiting there not once have we been contacted outside the usual post show 'Thank you, let us know if you want to book again' letter  with a view to selling us space, so like all business that haven't pulled their finger out on the marketing and sales front, it has dwindled away: Those who have been every year over the last ten years will have seen the spaces at the bottom of the halls gently increasing year on year, and its a fair bet that one or more of the major players decided they weren't going to rebook for 2014 which tipped the balance, but I don't think you will find it will be long before there are at least two events aimed at replacing Focus announced....

First off... See http://swpp.co.uk/news/2013/A-sad-farewell-to-Focus-on-Imaging.htm

It was well known in the trade that SWPP were looking at becoming involved with, or even taking over, Focus late last year - I am not in the know enough to find out what fell down, but their announcement was online within minutes of the Focus press release.

Later the same day another event/marketing company based in Eastbourne circulated the trade calling a meeting in London later this month to examine the possibility of setting something similar up.

It's early days: A couple of my colleagues on Bigger Picture Roadshows have suggested we develop our small one day events into something larger, targetting only the serious professionals rather than all and sundry.

Fotoshack is off-line
09 September 2013 10:32
onthecouch
Photographer

Hampshire
Reading

But a new show is taking over next year

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/06/26/the-photography-show-our-new-consumer-event-to-replace-focus-on-imaging/

Jon E is off-line
10 September 2013 13:13
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Devon
Seaton, E Devon.

Yes indeed.... and the NEC have kindly changed the halls so the ghost of Focus is well and truly laid to rest. Many of the usual suspects are already on the floorplan, together with various demo areas, live stage and wild flower garden. The latest version I have seen included a Pro and Exhibitors lounge.  Very few album companies as yet though, and Canon havent appeared, but there are a number of substantial stands remaining.

However... I understand - and the organisers have confirmed in conversation with them - that Ticketmaster have been lined up to handle the tickets, so it's going to cost booking fees at least it seems. That part of the master plan has yet to be announced, and the organisers are keeping very quiet about their plans, despite the rates for exhibiting space being comparable with the old show.

The event announced for 3 weeks later in London seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet - haven't heard anything about that one for weeks now.

Strober is off-line
10 January 2014 06:52
Strober
Photographer
Strober
Cheshire
Manchester

I'll be attending got someone I have to meet there, http://www.photographyshow.com/

Quote from Truedefinition
http://www.focus-on-imaging.net/news/

www.strober.co.uk

Jon E is off-line
11 January 2014 16:11
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Devon
Seaton, E Devon.

Have to say that the organisers seem to be doing a pretty good job, having given them quite a hard time on several matters initially, and last week they announced a bit of reorganisation to release more stand space, so there are going to be plenty of companies there.

Referring to a point earlier in the thread, Interestingly, not many of the 'traditional' album companies (eg Jorgensen, GF Smith etc) are showing on the floorplan at the moment, but plenty of labs adnd others who offer albums besides other things, and plenty of photobook suppliers.  A good number of training companies and the usual gear suspects, with one or two taking some pretty hefty stands also evident on the latest plan. 

There are a lot more centrally organised demos than in previous years, with various arenas around the halls... and I await a Wild Flower Garden in March with some interest!

Website now online - www.photographyshow.com  Free admission for professionals - £15 for hobbyists. <edit.. apologies - didnt spot post above>

The date for the planned London event (London Imaging Live) was moved to October... but I have heard nothing about it since, despite being on the email circulation list - Anyone heard any more about it?

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AdelineE DareMeDD ElleLaura RoxyMendez
AlfieJones copperbronze Domnumberone eyecandiphotography Feklin frogley GlasgowPhotographer Hioctane idubai2018 Jan77 JohnDentonPhoto Kjoservices mauricesimagery mike0048 Njsphotography peterh Pictureimage redbaron Steveharratt WellandPhoto Willjamieson
shahab