31 May 2013 05:52
Truedefinition
Studio
This member has been reset to pending
Truedefinition
Greater Manchester
Stockport

http://www.focus-on-imaging.net/news/
Hallam Mill - a creative Photographers playground - 2 Huge (i mean huge) Studios - Daylight - Flash - Infinity Curve - Props..

Spike is off-line
31 May 2013 06:19
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

The end of an era, though when I first started work in the industry it was Photography at Work at Wembley Conference Centre.

Be interesting to see if anything replaces it, since big exhibitions used to be the only place you could research a large number of products easily in one place, now the internet & relatively easy international shipping you can source stuff fromm anywhere on the planet from your home.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Peter Bailey is off-line
31 May 2013 07:34
bailey_p
Photographer
bailey_p
Cheshire
Manchester

Sorry to see it go.

It just leaves Photovision road show = http://www.forwardevents.co.uk/

Maybe a trip to Photokina in 2014 for a couple of days followed by a trip to Oktoberfest

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php September 16 to 21, 2014 in Cologne.
then pop over to Beer festival.

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/   Oktoberfest 2014 : 20 September - 5 October.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
31 May 2013 07:49
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Entirely understandable, extremely expensive for exhibitors, with added on costs, hotels etc. and the return?? A number of 'expected' people pulled out, really a case of first to bite the bullet. End of an era but the signs were there for a while.

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
31 May 2013 08:45
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

I stopped going a couple of years ago, never missed a year from 1998 but just recently seemed to be same old stuff. I won't miss it.
How hard can it be?

modjo30 is off-line
31 May 2013 10:00
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Cambridgeshire
st neots

It was starting to get filled up with people trying to flog photo frames and wedding books, i wan't to go there to look at camera gear and software, nothing more

CSD Images is off-line
31 May 2013 10:14
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Grampian
Aberdeen

One of the magazines I work for was quoted around 30k for a small stall. Little wonder it's gone as few business can actually afford that.
www.flickr.com/photos/csd_images | www.celticshadows.co.uk

Dave Beasley is off-line
31 May 2013 10:19
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

It's a real shame as even though it had its faults it was still a good place to go, look at everything, buy at (usually) good prices and generally meet other like minded people.

I have been to Photokina for the last 3 exhibitions, and will continue to do so, but there are no retailers there so you cannot buy anything.

I believe Canon will be having their show at Islington Business Centre later this year so there's something for us Canon owners.

Norman Buckley is off-line
31 May 2013 12:16
njb
Photographer
njb
Suffolk
Halesworth

It's a shame but understandable in the current financial climate I suppose. I enjoyed going most years.

OldMaster is off-line
31 May 2013 12:33
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

Can't say I am too upset....my past memories were typical of most industry exhibition experiences..hot, stuffy, over crowded and outrageously expensive, particularly any drinks one might choose to imbibe!! Gave them up years ago!

Loads of equipment geeks all crammed into a relatively small space with carrier bags stuffed full of brochures that will probably be thrown away pretty soon after they get home...hmmm, great!!

How much more relaxing is it to identify what you may be interested in and spend some time in more relaxed surroundings, one to one ..like a good dealer?

And if it's seminars you want, there are loads of companies putting these on, although better value is probably a good college course.

Each to their own of course!!!

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
casia pam69
dave@studio99