Reminder Secure

Some questions

Breagh is off-line
30 May 2013 12:49
nuiloa
Model

Glasgow

Hi Chrissie,

Thanks for your post. I read a lot of your advice for models here and around the web and it is always very thoughtful and kind. I hope to run into you one day around and about.

I'm fine with not being what they're looking for, just thought I'd try a few avenues. Unfortunately I will need to retire from dance as anything more than a hobby quite soon. I really enjoy modeling so was hoping to see if it would go somewhere for me.

I'll try a few more things before giving up. I'm also not against moving but I think my next move may be outwith the UK if I do.

Chrissie Red is off-line
30 May 2013 12:53
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from nuiloa
Hi Chrissie, Thanks for your post. I read a lot of your advice for models here and around the web and it is always very thoughtful and kind. I hope to run into you one day around and about. I'm fine with not being what they're looking for, just thought I'd try a few avenues. Unfortunately I will need to retire from dance as anything more than a hobby quite soon. I really enjoy modeling so was hoping to see if it would go somewhere for me. I'll try a few more things before giving up. I'm also not against moving but I think my next move may be outwith the UK if I do.

Thank you :-)

Maybe you could try looking into the London commercial agencies and spending a few days popping in to see some of them, make it some sort of "last attempt" before retiring the agency thing. What about having fitness classes which encorporate dance in some form? Thats fairly popular with people looking to get fit. I'm sure with the thinking hat on you could do something a little original/different from what other classes currently offer. I'm just chucking ideas out there! 

Let us know how you get on if you do go down to the big smoke

31 May 2013 18:32
Honesty
Model
This member has been suspended

Let's see if I have anything useful in my head....

I used to be agency signed, can't say I really found it to be a spectacular advantage to be honest. Its stressful and people are uber demanding as well as there being no particular guarantee of work. And I spent ages and mmiles walking around with my book back in the day. If you're in their offices you're a lot harder to refuse an audience.

From your pics you look alternative like me. You could try those agencies (dark arts etc) For lifestyle I'd advise doing a few tf/stock footage shoots and submit the results. So things with living room sets, out in caf├ęs, walking a dog etc. Tv extra work could be a start. Just sign up somewhere and see what comes along. Can get a bit weird tho I wanted to do kooky nerdy goth and ended up in Robinson Crusoe. Lol at least Im not type cast.

I guess the main thing is not to give up. Modelling is hard work and all models have to push all the time to get themselves noticed and keep themselves on the radar. Its also tough on the old self esteem when you get knocked back. Something all the advice in the world cant prepare you for.

Good luck sweetie

Breagh is off-line
01 June 2013 05:25
nuiloa
Model

Glasgow

Hi Honesty,

Thanks for your message. Now that you mention it, perhaps I should just accept that I am more alternative than anything - if I am going to fit into a niche. I always figured I wasn't quite odd *enough* for that genre (and also being over 30 wasn't sure if the same age rules applied as with other modeling work).

I might specifically look for photographers with a lot of experience shooting lifestyle and see if that helps, but perhaps alternative would be the way to go.

Chrissie - you may have something there, perhaps I could try visiting places in person. It sounds like both of you would recommend that, at least. I'm not the type to give up so I am going to continue to work on it.

01 June 2013 05:46
Honesty
Model
This member has been suspended

Actually one of my friends is signed with spirited models, I'll give her a bell and see if they've any spaces up for grabs. I've no idea if the agency is any good because she's "dreamy pagan" and I usually get the "fetish/satanic" so I've not checked it out. But... dreamy pagan could work for you. Anyway there's no reason you can't do both if you can twist your look around both, which shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll PM you.

Breagh is off-line
01 June 2013 06:03
nuiloa
Model

Glasgow

Hi Honesty,

Wow, thanks! That is great, I look forward to your PM.

Spike is off-line
01 June 2013 06:58
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Chrissie Reds advice is spot on, particularly re the "mumsie" look for commercial/lifestyle.
As or the beauty pagents do them if you enjoy them, though they are going to have little effect on your prospects of work.

If you are considering moving south of the border, try a tour first, put up a casting & gauge the response to your look in the area you are thinking of moving to.

"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Brightonblonde miles
bradder cityclikr cygnet dave2008 david1500 dorrian Fatsammy lukaszmarcinkowski mareeoosh modelboutique nik300 ranesh rscott360 seductiveangels Willjamieson