Reminder Secure

Manipulation of a photographer's picture(s)

Magnolia285 is off-line
27 May 2013 12:31
magnolia285
Model

Surrey
Croydon

Can anyone tell me if I am wrong when a photographer ditched me for 9 months without editing the images I wanted him to do. One particular image, my favourite but the background was taken in my living room and captured my cluttered shelf. I requested another photographer to redo the unsuitable background (not my image though) by imposing a graphic design for a background. After, 9 months, I decided to contact the photographer who ditched me as a friendly greeting and showed him what the other photographer did for me. He told me that the other photographer should know better. Don't have I got the right to ask someone to replace the ugly background on my behalf?

Darren Brade is off-line
27 May 2013 12:39
darrenbrade
Photographer
darrenbrade
London
London

Not without the photographer's permission, better to ask first.
www.darrenbrade.com

Magnolia285 is off-line
27 May 2013 12:53
magnolia285
Model

Surrey
Croydon

Well, next time, I would. He didn't inform me what his restrictions were. He was the first photographer who left his work undone so I assumed I have the right to ask another photographer to redo the unsuitable background. I originally posted in my gallery but it didn't look nice so I removed it and brought it back when the background was replaced by an amazing graphic design.

Ratana Rose is off-line
27 May 2013 13:01
RattusRock
Model
RattusRock
County Durham
durham

common sense, its not your copyright so no you cant

i assume it was tfp and some photographers are lazy chalk it up to experience and move on or at a push attempt to make a subtle change yourself (ie. if its small like cloning out a plug socket that's only just in frame) but then be willing/expectant to have the photographer say remove it

27 May 2013 13:16
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Yes, you are wrong.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Magnolia285 is off-line
27 May 2013 13:22
magnolia285
Model

Surrey
Croydon

Even though it was tfp, he shouldn't callously ditched me. Thoughtlessly, without knowing my wrongful rights, I asked another photographer just for one image to manipulate the unsightly background.

Thank you for your reply. I'll put it down to new experience and "We learn everyday!"

" Hibby " is off-line
27 May 2013 13:38
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from magnolia285
Thoughtlessly, without knowing my wrongful rights, I asked another photographer just for one image to manipulate the unsightly background.

Ignorance of the law is absolutely no excuse.

"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

Magnolia285 is off-line
27 May 2013 13:51
magnolia285
Model

Surrey
Croydon

Thanks.

Chrissie Red is off-line
27 May 2013 14:28
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I know it can be very frustrating waiting for shots to be edited - I have been there.
One thing you can do is rely less on the photographer and his photoshopping skills, for example if I'm out on a location shoot before even posing I will look around for rubbish/twigs which may pop annoyingly into the frame and other little things which might be of hinderance in the final image. If I'm shooting TF or collaborations I like to see fairly often how the images are looking and if I see anything which annoys me in the unedited images which I can physically change there and then I will go and do so.

He is right in that the other photographer really shouldn't have edited his images without his permission. Remember what you think might be an "amazing" background graphic might be other folk's idea of crap background.

I occasionally even get random emails and messages from strangers showing me photo manipulations they have made and I get angry for the photographer even if they never spot the "manipulation". Its just not good call without permission. I have been granted permission to edit images of me after shoots but this is very occasionally and I edit the image myself then send it to the photographer for approval.

Best thing to do is make sure those you do TF with have good references from models who have worked with them on that basis before, its amazing how many "good" photographers leave models waiting for months and months or fail to even bother editing the images properly. I wouldn't say changing an entire background is a "normal" job though for a shoot so the photographer maybe just couldn't be arsed with all the work - in which case he should have been paying more attention to the background himself.

Ratana Rose is off-line
27 May 2013 16:32
RattusRock
Model
RattusRock
County Durham
durham

I am curious as to the photographer

he may not edit full stop... lots dont/wont, if he portfolio is highly and well edited then i would be annoyed he didn't put the same effort into our collaboration but by the sounds of it he may just have a dislike of photoshop but without knowing his other work its hard to judge

when I look at photographers I look at there best image, worst image and middle image to try and figure out the standard I can expect - one great image could be a fluke, on bad image might be perspective but you should know what to expect by the end

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray Craigchesham fizzy LaLuna sifx
antoinewynn cliffc dailand davejarvis david1500 eosfan gwentman Johnp9 moritz78 peteb Puremoods severndigital southernsnapper Spiritofwales stevegosh ttstinger Willjamieson windowman9
thomas321