"Professional" and "Very Experienced"?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Rich G is off-line
22 May 2013 00:38
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Is it me or does there seem to be an increasing number of models (and maybe photographers) who say they're "professional" and "very experienced" yet only have the site minimum of four images on their portfolio, these often being of poor quality. I don't have so much of an issue with the 'professional' tag but surely if you're 'very experienced' you must have plenty of images from the numerous shoots you've been involved in.
I tend to ignore people's cv's these days and judge them by their images and references - does anyone else do much the same?
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
22 May 2013 01:06
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Most definitely. Any of course they only work for pay - I have assumed that is the reason they have decided they are 'professional'. They think it is more likely that people will offer them paid shoots.

I did contact a couple of them a while ago offering a TF shoot to help build their portfolio. Most didn't reply (surprise, surprise), but those that did were very huffy and arrogant and appeared to think there was nothing wrong with their portfolios. I pointed them in the direction of a couple of genuine professional model portfolios and asked if they could spot the difference between those and theirs, but didn't hear from them again. They generally don't tend to last very long.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
22 May 2013 01:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

You've only just noticed this?

It's an easy way to con the more gullible and many haven't a clue what constitutes a good/bad image or skill on the part of the model/photographer and are quite happy to take people at their word regardless of how bad they are.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

beauvoir is off-line
22 May 2013 06:47
beauvoir
Model
beauvoir
Birmingham
Birmingham

If I take my clothes off in front of a stranger and he gets to keep those images, then regardless of level of experience I don't think financial compensation is unreasonable.

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 May 2013 07:26
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

As far as I can see it's usually people who get their TFP offers rejected who get upset by such trivia.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

22 May 2013 08:13
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from beauvoir
If I take my clothes off in front of a stranger and he gets to keep those images, then regardless of level of experience I don't think financial compensation is unreasonable.

Still "no longer using the site" huh.

Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Rich G is off-line
22 May 2013 08:32
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Quote from stolenfaces
As far as I can see it's usually people who get their TFP offers rejected who get upset by such trivia.

I'm not sure that the accuracy of someone's portfolio is trivia Neil. If you're like me and regularly offer paid work, I expect a good idea of what that person's like before I offer them a job. I'd still feel the same if it was a 'TF' shoot.

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 May 2013 08:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from SMILESPHOTO
I'm not sure that the accuracy of someone's portfolio is trivia Neil. If you're like me and regularly offer paid work, I expect a good idea of what that person's like before I offer them a job. I'd still feel the same if it was a 'TF' shoot.

Well it's best to rely on what they look like and what they say. Tick boxes are notorious for being open to different interpretations and randomly completed - I can't think why you would think it important what those boxes say.
Unless, like Mighty White, you are looking to 'help' models who don't have a profile which reaches his required standard.

Personally I find that 'poor' photos give a better idea of the model I am booking than 'beautiful' photos from a really professional photographer and retoucher.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

G Jack B is off-line
22 May 2013 08:57
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Devon
Plymouth

In another post a photographer complained because a model said she was full time but only semi professional - seems that models have a hard job pleasing some people on here.... why not leave them alone, stop moaning about what they say, book them if you want to work with them and just live with it.
Real Bread Cook by day, BTL landlord & IT Guru - who said men can't multitask!

Rich G is off-line
22 May 2013 09:32
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

Quote from stolenfaces
Personally I find that 'poor' photos give a better idea of the model I am booking than 'beautiful' photos from a really professional photographer and retoucher.

Good point. I think an accurate shot is helpful whilst a re-touched image can show the potential.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs chosin Michelledefeo1 Silkythighslou SuzyMonty
AFYS brendan Cadwallen Chris650 daseinphoto DavidN dby47 gazzer59 grahamsphotography James7799 markeos50d Rscott360 stephenmuddell talldave68 ttstinger vapourtrail will_i_am Willjamieson
grailmodels