Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
23 May 2013 15:25
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from Plymjack
But if she said she was a professional you would moan that she was not that good?

Or some dickhead would say she can't qualify as a "professional" model because she has posted too few pics on Purestorm (or indeed other sites where exactly the same moronic criteria are wheeled out by some members).

Or because the images she happens to have posted here don't satisfy the Critics's personal taste.

Funny how being a professional in any given field used to be intrinsically tied up with putting the welbeing and satisfaction of your clients first. Now, it means what? Meeting the capricious standards of users on an internet forum who know nothing about the model or photographer's work setup or business.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Eebijeebi is off-line
23 May 2013 16:33
eebijeebi
Photographer
eebijeebi
Essex
Brentwood

Quote from stolenfaces
Ok what about modelling all the time (as in having no other occupation) but only getting paid for the odd shoot. I think most people would agree that a model who did 100% tfp would stretch any definition of professional.

No other occupation but only paid occasionally! House person, living off of benefits or independantly wealthy???

Interesting though how the term profession so much nowadays is used when occupation/job is what it used to be.
A profession used to be something that you had to study, train and qualify for, e.g. doctor, lawyer etc. and not those other oiks - tradesmen!
Trouble is, you then throw in sport where you're a 'professional' because you get paid and are full time, and semi-professional if you have another job but don't need a single qualification. Skilled workers?

I still think 'semi-professional' and 'full time' doesn't make sense - but hey ho, who really cares?

23 May 2013 17:12
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

@eebijeebi, I agree that something has been lost in the way it's now used to refer to any coccupation in general. Language of course changes, but I also feel that when we lose a word that had a distinctive meaning and don't replace it with another, it's suggestive that the concept is nolonger cared about. That's lamentable in this instance, as I suspect you may agree (even if a good many others reading this don't give a monkeys).

Regardng sport, that, I think is a specal historic case. The word "semi-professional" was invented by lawyers at the end of the 19th century to create a loophole enabling athletes to compete and still be paid: the trick was that they would be employed in a capacty that wasn't offcially for performing the sport, but some other role, thereby technically retaining amateur status. Of course other meanings have been ascribed for convenience since then. My own self-description is a fudge, as I'm sure some others' also is.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

24 May 2013 18:57
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from mph
Or how about it is probably simply wrong - Occam's razor?

Damn it, you're no fun at times

44 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray fashion29 Jessicaliu1993 Lusciousabi29 RISelene rob452 Roose speed84
android_man antoinewynn boss1968 cliffc copperbronze cygnet Dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Don_Dark donaldmac eosfan flawless_photo glamorphotos gshocker30 Impulse_Images JPV just_lez Kjoservices MauricesImagery MIB michaelangelo mlp modelboutique natkins noggy1930 philsmg Photojames43 redbaron Richard99 rscott360 RUPERT sirspread stevegosh steveh32 westend_portfolios