Recommended photography books?

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
20 May 2013 01:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Landscape photography isn't particularly challenging in technical terms, the difficulty is actually getting out there and shooting it, and being in the right place at the right time (with a tripod).  As mentioned, Michael Freeman's books are good as he gives an insight into composition and I've also found Lee Frost's books fairly informative in the past, they both have quite a wide range of books covering all subjects IIRC.

Lee Filters have two interesting books called Inspiring Professionals and Inspiring Professionals 2, both of which give a breakdown of how the images were put together, especially interesting are the diagrams explaining how their filters were used to enhance the sky etc.  Both books can be previewed and you can clearly see the diagrams and how useful they are.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

OldMaster is off-line
20 May 2013 04:11
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I guess understanding "photography" first may be a benefit and for that Michael Langfords "Basic Photography" is a bible!

It has been in print for decades with up dated versions post his death to include digital as well. It remains a seminal work and I recommended it to all my students who found it invaluable.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
20 May 2013 10:10
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Blimey, this has given me a lot to think about guys. A lot of these are v expensive new, blimey. I was thinking more of a how-to not just a picture book but something with insight or a guide as to how they did it. Got about 20 tabs open now so will get looking

20 May 2013 12:27
Ash_G
Photographer
This member has been reset to pending

Fran Halsall: Light & Shadow The Art of Landscape Photography (pub. price £16.99) is a great book by a great British photographer.

Chaz is off-line
19 June 2013 07:16
ChazPhotos
Photographer
ChazPhotos
Devon
Cullompton

For book on photography there is one person I would say will cover just about everything in a way that makes seance, its Michael Freeman ones to look for might be to start with are 'The Photographers eye' and 'The Photographers Mind' both worth a read by anyone into photography. Don't for get to look up all his books.

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Sarah75
fineartbysimon Glam2k Willjamieson