This thread is being watched by 1 person
CMAGS is off-lineGold Member
14 May 2013 07:25
CMAGS
Photographer
CMAGS
Greater Manchester
Leigh / Bolton

Every models portfolio talks about how they want to "Get ahead" in the industry and that they are "comitted and give 100%" yet so many don't even bother replying to emails you send even when its paid work.

My question is therefore are most models unreliable?
Chris Mangnall 07779 132347.

Neil Anderson is off-line
14 May 2013 07:27
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

no
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Dave Laurie is off-line
14 May 2013 07:41
deetvstudio
Photographer
deetvstudio
Lancashire
Preston

Quote from CMAGS
 "comitted and give 100%" 

Only 100%?

You need to look out for ones giving 110% then.

The answer to your question is no but I do recommend reading between the lines written in profile notes.
And/or see if you can find them on Facebook too.
There are some who appear to be less than professional once you've read about their night's out antics.
Even when they have a shoot booked the following morning............

Peter Hague is off-line
14 May 2013 07:41
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

No, but the minority of models who are get a disproportionate amount of press on these sites, making the problem seem worst than it is. And when you suffer from them (as I am now, I have dealings out there, 3 models have gone 'radio silence' on me, that's probably a grands worth of work going down the pan) it does make you think "Why do I bother with internet models, they're all a waste of time" when clearly, they aren't.
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

tomhl is off-line
14 May 2013 07:56
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
Ayrshire
Dumfries,Ayr,Carlisle,Glasgow,Manchester

Quote from CMAGS
My question is therefore are most models unreliable?

Normally you can suss out wannabees and timewasters. if you get a message off a model which contains about 5 words then she normally can't be arsed.
I don't judge models on whether they are amateur or professional, as two out of the three 'no shows' i've ever had were 'professional' models with more than 50 feedbacks on here.

I personally prefer to now work with models I already know and have shot before. So find a good model and stick with her cheeky
My imagination wants to see the vivid colours of reality .

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
14 May 2013 08:05
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Yes - or at least the majority of girls who sign up to sites such as this most definitely are.

I now pretty much work on the assumption that, even if a model has replied to my initial message offering them a shoot and say they'd like to work with me, or who have contacted me about a shoot (so I've excluded the very large number who don't even bother to reply to a first message), most will actually disappear or just stop communicating before we have either arranged a date or, if we have, will stop replying when you try to sort out the final details. The number I actually work with is a very small (depressingly small!) percentage indeed.

But I guess it depends on how you define a 'model'. 'Professional' models (ie those who treat as a proper job) are, on the whole, reliable.

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
14 May 2013 08:06
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from CMAGS
Every models portfolio talks about how they want to "Get ahead" in the industry and that they are "comitted and give 100%" yet so many don't even bother replying to emails you send even when its paid work. My question is therefore are most models unreliable?

Almost every model I've worked with (in about 900 shoots) has been reasonably, very or extremely reliable.

I've only ever worked with models with whom I established contact. By definition a shoot never got booked if contact never got established so I can't comment on how reliable those models are, but aren't such cases irrelevant? What does it matter how reliable or unreliable those models who you won't be shooting with are? I know I for one don't give a screw about those cases.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

CMAGS is off-lineGold Member
14 May 2013 08:36
CMAGS
Photographer
CMAGS
Greater Manchester
Leigh / Bolton

Great advice, Still trying to find my feet in this game and have previously stayed away from models charging top dollar for work but then maybe there lies the problem.

Chris Mangnall 07779 132347.

14 May 2013 11:56
johnlp
Photographer

No, most are reliable, most are very good, some are extraordinary; but a significant minority who are trying to find their way in this, very strange, industry fall by the wayside, or aren't committed, or aren't organised or have no empathy for the needs of the photographer.  And is easy to become jaded if you happens to choose those models to work with. 

Don't worry if they don't reply to your email.  They may have had many responses and have only made a mental list of the top one or two photographers who fit their bill, and haven't got around to replying to everyone.  My stategy, if I really want to work with a model, is to wait a couple of weeks and then send them a second, polite, request.  This will either be ignored again, or you'll get a pleasant surprise.

You must also remember that their priorities may be totally at odds with yours.  Photography is my main interest at the moment and I'm spending a considerable amount of time and money on it.  But some of the models who have worked with me are also students, mothers or in full time employment.  I have to remind myself of this when I'm waiting around for a reply to what I consider is an urgent email.

I don't always feel so sanguine about these issues, but remember there are always other models out there, who want to work, are proud of what they achieve and really are willing to give 100%.

14 May 2013 13:00
1919_Images
Photographer

Despite what some will claim most models on these sites are a waste of time, even if you are offering paid work.
Probably only about 20% of girls on here are worth bothering to book, as you get more experienced you learn to spot them, when they turn up to shoot with you it makes up for all the hours you've wasted trying to book the other 80%.

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Anniebabe Dionne_94 kylied
AndrewF cliffc djb1 Dphphotography fannmore hylander iamge johntisbury JSP Kentrichuk Ladiesman mike0048 philippahh photomart Rhadamanthus Steveh32 talldave68 vapourtrail