Paul Hodson is off-line
06 May 2013 13:49
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Well - not exactly but:

The company has no plans to release any new versions of Creative Suite going forward, but Adobe will ensure that every CS6 application will run on the next version of OS X and Windows. It will also provide the usual bug fixes and security patches, but it won’t add any new features to the tools. ...

Instead, the Creative Suite name is actually going away in favor of Creative Cloud, which won’t have traditional version numbers anymore. For Adobe, of course, this also means the company is now making the move to a new business model, where the focus will be squarely on subscriptions and not on selling boxed software, licenses and upgrades anymore.

Fine by me - just means they won't get any more of my money!

The only problem I foresee is that new cameras may not be covered by ACR - meaning using dng files.

Oh well. 
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Cox is off-line
06 May 2013 14:40
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Out of interest what puts you off the subscription model? For much of their target market it looks very sensible.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 May 2013 14:52
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from paulcoxphotography
Out of interest what puts you off the subscription model? For much of their target market it looks very sensible.

For me as an amateur who can't write it off as a business expense, the fact I only use Photoshop (as I don't work with video*, web coding, DTP etc.) and the fact that I only upgrade every 2nd/3rd version (and during Adobe's special offers) the pricing is somewhat prohibitve to say the least (even for the single package version where I'd be paying over £200 a year compared to the ~£75 a year on average for my boxed copy of Photoshop).

* - tell a lie, I do but certainly don't need anything as heavyweight as Premiere for the basic editing I do.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Cox is off-line
06 May 2013 14:57
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from RedChecker
For me as an amateur who can't write it off as a business expense, the fact I only use Photoshop (as I don't work with video, web coding, DTP etc.) and the fact that I only upgrade every 2nd/3rd version (and during Adobe's special offers) the pricing is somewhat prohibitve to say the least (even for the single package version where I'd be paying over £200 a year compared to the ~£75 a year on average for my boxed copy of Photoshop).

But surely Adobe LR answers much of that markets needs? Especially with the advanced healing brush in version 5. Certainly I'll be reviewing the need for Photoshop come the expiry of my current subscription.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
06 May 2013 14:59
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

I agree with RedChecker.

At least Microsoft do a tiered subscription model, so home users can buy in - but not be paying the same as people who make a living from the software.

I use Photoshop rarely (usually try and get a photo right in Lightroom) but I keep it around as it's the only tool with such a wide feature set. It's worth the every-second-version upgrade cost to keep it fairly current, although even then I don't think I'm getting great value from the new features.

The problem is that there really is no alternative. Pixelmator and Gimp don't have the industrial strengh 16 bit and colour space treatments that's essential to take over where Lightroom leaves off.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 May 2013 15:00
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from paulcoxphotography
But surely Adobe LR answers much of that markets needs? Especially with the advanced healing brush in version 5. Certainly I'll be reviewing the need for Photoshop come the expiry of my current subscription.

LR is good but it certainly is no substitute for Photoshop (I own/use both)
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Cox is off-line
06 May 2013 15:18
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from Andy_B
I agree with RedChecker.

At least Microsoft do a tiered subscription model, so home users can buy in - but not be paying the same as people who make a living from the software.

I use Photoshop rarely (usually try and get a photo right in Lightroom) but I keep it around as it's the only tool with such a wide feature set. It's worth the every-second-version upgrade cost to keep it fairly current, although even then I don't think I'm getting great value from the new features.

The problem is that there really is no alternative. Pixelmator and Gimp don't have the industrial strengh 16 bit and colour space treatments that's essential to take over where Lightroom leaves off.

I'd also like to see the student and teacher edition extended to home user in the way Microsoft has done, and perhaps that may come. But realistically Office is targeting a very different market. At the right price pretty much anyone could have a use for it, on the other hand many home users would run away from photoshop in horror.

Megan Reynolds is off-line
06 May 2013 15:30
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
Bristol
Bristol

We both use cloud as we are heavy photoshop/bridge/premiere users, and far prefer it to buying copies of each software. I think its a great idea, and with the amount of users who use the software heavily but have never paid a penny it makes sense for them to do it this way.

Will is off-line
06 May 2013 15:46
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
Staffordshire
Stoke-on-Trent

The people illegally using 'cracked' copies of the software will be unable to do so with the 'cloud' method.

LR and Photoshop are different beasties. I have a use for the latter in my retouching workflow but not the former - CNX2 for my raw files, ViewNX2 for my event on-site viewing / printing. If ACR is not updated except via 'the cloud', no problem for me.
Where there's a Will, there's a way.

digineil is off-line
06 May 2013 16:22
digineil
Photographer
digineil
Staffordshire

Quote from Photoimager
The people illegally using 'cracked' copies of the software will be unable to do so with the 'cloud' method

It won't make any difference to piracy.

29 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chloejade25 Just_Janine
63jian alanbassettphotography chicimages DJ200 duncanjames edwards ellessephotography farley fashionphotography ignite jyp Ladiesman Mark_roe peteb peterh photomart plymjack poah psn redbaron Robinsky rosscollins Rscott360 skinz TonyNutley ukbondagetotty vipimages