Recompense

Jon Williams is off-line
02 May 2013 18:51
jonnar42
Photographer
jonnar42
Hertfordshire
Hemel Hempstead

I recently booked a model through Purestorm making clear I was renting a studio especially for the shoot, as well as paying her full fee. She cancelled with one hours notice of "personal reasons", leaving me to pay for a four hour studio hire. I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense, with me again paying for the studio, which she seems reluctant to do. Am I being unreasonable? I really would appreciate feedback from togs & models. Thanks

Kev W is off-lineSilver Member
02 May 2013 19:07
Follyhouse
Photographer
Follyhouse
Leicestershire
Hinckley

Not so much 'unreasonable' as unrealistic. Try self-flagellation; it's cheaper.

Leave appropriate feedback; then book a real model and enjoy a productive shoot

Gerry is off-line
02 May 2013 19:43
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Surrey
Guildford

If she failed to show for a paid shoot, what are the chances of her turning up to a "recompense" shoot. All that would guarantee is another no show to add to the first - particularly with a further studio liability.

Leave the feedback in accordance with the site rules and move on
If you have to ask why I do it, you will never understand the reason why

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
02 May 2013 19:49
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Small claims court?

Ask for the studio hire fee.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Chris Corbin is off-line
03 May 2013 03:52
corbystock
Photographer
corbystock
Hampshire
New Milton

I'd be amazed if she turned up for the TF shoot.
There is a chance that everything I just said is complete bollocks

Chrissie Red is off-line
03 May 2013 05:28
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from jonnar42
I recently booked a model through Purestorm making clear I was renting a studio especially for the shoot, as well as paying her full fee. She cancelled with one hours notice of "personal reasons", leaving me to pay for a four hour studio hire. I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense, with me again paying for the studio, which she seems reluctant to do. Am I being unreasonable? I really would appreciate feedback from togs & models. Thanks

Did she seem genuinely apologetic for letting you down or was it more like a rushed "sorry something has come up, personal reasons can't come today"  Either way its pretty crap she left you in that situation and I have to admit if I let somebody down that badly and they had lost money due to me I would have no problems at all in making it up in modelling time or paying the studio fees and I imagine most models who value their reputation would also be only to happy to "sort out" the mess they got themselves into. 

Give it a week or so, if she says no and makes no effort at all to sort something out then I would leave a negative reference on her page and mark her down on the "will not shoot with" list. If her name comes up in a conversation with other photographers I would make them aware of her behaviour with you. Also as Hugh said I would attempt to take her to the small claims court so you can get your money back. If more photographers actually went through with this practice after being financially let down I imagine there would be less "time waster/wannabe" models kicking around saying they are professional when they are anything but.

Either way good luck!

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
03 May 2013 05:51
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from jonnar42
 I have asked her to do a tf shoot as recompense,

Unfortunately the above is doomed psychology.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Qu is off-line
03 May 2013 13:13
hhoa
Photographer
hhoa
London
London

To be honest I would be afraid of her doing another no show. A no show (an hour beforehand), a 4 hours studio fee and no compensation would make me want to move on and forget about her.
Otherwise to answer your question: I don't think your request is unreasonable.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
03 May 2013 13:33
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

As others have suggested you are being a little over optimistic about this persons attitude. If they had any genuine sense of responsibility and concern for their reputation, one would have reasonable expectations that they would have made the offer of a compensatory shoot to you!
I think, if you have good records of the arrangements made and the payment to the studio then it would be entirely reasonable to make a small claims application.

Kevin White is off-lineSilver Member
03 May 2013 17:33
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Berkshire
Ascot

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Also as Hugh said I would attempt to take her to the small claims court so you can get your money back. If more photographers actually went through with this practice after being financially let down I imagine there would be less "time waster/wannabe" models kicking around saying they are professional when they are anything but.

Either way good luck!

But realistically how does he do that? He probably won't have her address and, if she is smart she won't be using her real name on here, so he won't have that either.  

It is is frequently suggested to photographers (and models) who have lost money because the other party has cancelled at the last minute, that they should be taken to court - but I have never heard of anyone successfully doing so in a case like this.

I had a 'No Show' last year. A model I had worked with before - sent me a text an hour after we should have started (and after 3 or 4 phone calls from me saying where are you) to say she was at the hospital with a family member who'd been rushed in the previous night. I'd spent money on a location which she said she'd repay but of course never did. Did I believe her - No, but there was nothing I could do. As I'd worked with her before I knew her real name, but not her address.  I left a negative reference for her (as we are also always told we should - but which often causes more hassle than it's worth) but shortly afterwards she stopped logging in to the site. People who do this sort of thing really don't care and they know that there is nothing you can do. 

20 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
danixhale emmac89
aprilscherz3 ChrisD clarmike djb1 eosfan geronimo gperl johnr lify MIB mlp oscar pierre plld Steveh32 Thunder_Photos TinDolls violins