Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Just got one - shooting Canon.

Bloody hell, it's good.
No focus problems either.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 May 2013 06:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I'm very pleased with mine and so glad I bought it over the f1.2  (to which I think the Sigma is actually superior, certainly in terms of sharpness)

The 85 is also very good.  Chances are I'll be getting their 35 as well.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
01 May 2013 10:35
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Very pleased with the lens:

Bought it because you'd said how good it was.

Anthonygh is off-line
02 May 2013 04:11
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

This lens is well regarded by users on fredmiranda.com. It was also part of a comparision review with the Canon 1.4 in a mag a few months back, this being a much older lens (and a lot cheaper).... it was also highly rated.

The real prize (it would seem from reviews) is the Sigma 85 1.4.....for those that can afford it!!

02 May 2013 04:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
This lens is well regarded by users on fredmiranda.com. It was also part of a comparision review with the Canon 1.4 in a mag a few months back, this being a much older lens (and a lot cheaper)

The Canon is not a LOT cheaper, the 'real' prices come in at £279 for the Canon vs £359 for the Sigma (Warehouseexpress.com), although if the review go by the list prices (or launch price of the Sigma) then yes, there's a decent discrepancy but that does not hold any relation to prices you can get them for.  Bear in mind the Sigma also comes with a hood which for the Canon would add £23.99.

The better comparison for the Sigma IMO would be against Canon's 50mm f1.2 but at £1169 they're having a laugh.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

markthetog is off-line
02 May 2013 04:27
markeewould
Photographer

West Midlands
Birmingham

any recommends on where to get one from re price etc ??

Derek Brewster is off-line
02 May 2013 05:25
pygar1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle upon Tyne

Quote from RedChecker
The Canon is not a LOT cheaper, the 'real' prices come in at £279 for the Canon vs £359 for the Sigma (Warehouseexpress.com), although if the review go by the list prices (or launch price of the Sigma) then yes, there's a decent discrepancy but that does not hold any relation to prices you can get them for.  Bear in mind the Sigma also comes with a hood which for the Canon would add £23.99.

The better comparison for the Sigma IMO would be against Canon's 50mm f1.2 but at £1169 they're having a laugh.

Are you not comparing the canon 85mm 1.8 price here with the Sigma 50mm 1.4? The canon 50mm 1.8 is only about £75 and the sigma 85mm is about £660.

02 May 2013 06:13
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from markeewould
any recommends on where to get one from re price etc ??

I bought mine from Amazon.

Test it out, return it without any trouble if its not 100% spot on focusing.

02 May 2013 06:21
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from pygar1

Are you not comparing the canon 85mm 1.8 price here with the Sigma 50mm 1.4? The canon 50mm 1.8 is only about £75 and the sigma 85mm is about £660.

No, I'm comparing the Canon 50mm f1.4 (£279 at WHE) vs Sigma 50mm f1.4 (£359 at WHE)

Don't forget the Sigma includes a 'free' lens hood which would otherwise cost you £23.99 for the one for the Canon.

02 May 2013 07:27
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quality control is said to be a bit variable, but mine focuses perfectly.

Every lens I've got now focuses perfectly with the 5D3 - about a 98% success rate.

The 5D2 was more like a 75% success rate.

27 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin EmmaCarrie18 LSSlut Marieechloe
bertram Brian2008 Bristoltalent Daniel77 david1500 digitalmood Flanders For_Arts_Sake gazzer59 humphries Jamesrichards Ludapix markeos50d michaelangelo mlp panda49 PDCPhotos rossiter sniffer Spiritofwales stephenmuddell TheChrisS woody