Andrew Gibbins is off-line
01 May 2013 02:35
andrew_gibbins
Photographer
andrew_gibbins
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Hello.

Don't know if this is a tightly held secret among photographers here, but I would like to get some inputs on how to proceed in selling images. How do you approach magazines or websites, what do you say, etc. I want to learn so I can also perhaps have an income in the future from my images. I am very new to all this, so some guidance is requested

KHV is off-line
01 May 2013 03:00
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
London
London

It's not a secret but others who have asked are usually given the stock answers, email people but a lot of us got out of providing content for websites years ago, as the easter Europeans/Russians were doing it with vastly superior models (this is the adult content market), and we could not compete, and only being able to shoot the odd set here and there.

There are plenty of info out there, you just have to pick your market and do some research, and of course have the money to create the content before you can flog it but IMHO that horse died and was in pies years ago.

Peter is off-line
01 May 2013 07:17
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freelance-Photographers-Market-Handbook-2013/dp/090729765X
Lists a load of publishers, what they want, what price they may pay and the contact details of the photo editors desk.
Mostly what they will pay is a smack in the face (£50 or less for most front covers). In the end I didnt bother but the information is all there if you want to give it a try.

I was going to look to the nature mags and take pictures while on family days out since I would already be there and dont have the added cost of travel to factor in. Even then these magazines pay so little its not worth the hours taking, working on and trying to submit these pictures.. better off spending the same amount of time working for min wage.

The regular advice on here is boring stock hotography as fewer people do it a its not as fun but I think what with the glut of advice to do this aand even tv programs like The Gadget Show doing a piece on it and advising the same thing, that will be oversaturated too.

Another point to think on is the new legislation going through with regards to "orphan works" which allegedly means if they cant lazily find the owner of the image they can just use it under the assumption the creater is dead or nolonger has an interest in its use. This has the potential to open up the whole internet as a free stock photo database for publishers who cant be arsed paying the photographers. This could further massively erode the revenue sources for photographers.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
01 May 2013 07:31
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

http://www.istockphoto.com/

Quite tough technically at first, but easy pocket money if you shoot the right stuff.
Never make a living at it though.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 May 2013 07:34
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Hugh
http://www.istockphoto.com/ Quite tough technically at first, but easy pocket money if you shoot the right stuff. Never make a living at it though.

This guy doesn't do too badly from it
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

01 May 2013 10:03
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

He's really quite good though.

He and I joined iStock about the same time, but he's worked a bit harder at it than I have.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
01 May 2013 10:50
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from Hugh
He's really quite good though. He and I joined iStock about the same time, but he's worked a bit harder at it than I have.

And there's only one of you Hugh - he has eighty little helpers.

It was broken when I got here

markscatesphotography is off-line
01 May 2013 11:02
mscates176
Photographer

Essex

I shoot stock and to be honest with a portfolio of about 1000 i earn about £60 a month. It takes a long time to recoup the money from a shoot with a model. I look at it as a hobby and the stock sales pay towards cost of models and equipment.

01 May 2013 11:24
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

My best seller out of my portfolio of 29 images:

Andrew Gibbins is off-line
02 May 2013 04:00
andrew_gibbins
Photographer
andrew_gibbins
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Well these answers brings me to the inevitable question. What do you guys do to even break even on the costs of shooting these girls? Because if you don't get money in from getting published, then what? Its all a hobby that we all spend money on so a select girls can make a living taking their clothes off for a camera?

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
joann2
abouncer cygnet photofrank Steveh32