speaker system for ipad 3 ?

Andy is off-line
30 April 2013 17:35
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

Looking for a good speaker system or docking station (permanent system for lounge-not a portable) for an ipad 3
do you have a personal recommendation ?
lets get shootin

TarMoo is off-line
30 April 2013 18:08
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
Kent
Chatham

Try these: (they do have a cheaper version) http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Wireless-Music-Systems/Wireless-Music-Systems/A7/explore.html
Q: How to make a small fortune from photography? A: Start with a large fortune.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
30 April 2013 18:37
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

I've been looking for this sort of thing myself. Having looked at the various options my overriding impression is that the market is full of crappy plastic products inflated in price 400% merely because they're 'iPad compatible' or they're branded by some rap producer that I don't even like.

I'm considering just going for a pair of high quality powered monitor speakers and the right lead.

http://www.dv247.com/search/2940/0/ProductPrice/Ascending/-/1/

Something like a pair of KRK Rokit RP5s and the right lead would sound better than a single plastic speaker trying to produce a stereo sound...

Andy is off-line
30 April 2013 18:37
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife

looks fantastic and i'm sure it sounds amazing but don't want to spend more than £200
also Airplay seems to be much dearer than bluetooth, can anyone enlighten me ?
I'd also not mind going wired connectivity, if the sound was good at the right price.
lets get shootin

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
30 April 2013 18:42
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Apple charges $$$ for manufacturers to include Airplay. So if you manage to find a speaker with it for less than £200, be aware that a large chunk of that money is going to Apple for licencing and not being spent on speaker.

Bluetooth audio has generally been pretty crappy quality - although there's a new standard out there called aptX which sounds decent. iOS doesn't yet support it.

If you can live with a 1/8inch to two phono plugs lead, and drive powered speakers directly from the iPad, then you'll get a lot more sound for your buck.

Andy is off-line
30 April 2013 18:48
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife

Quote from Andy_B
Apple charges $$$ for manufacturers to include Airplay. So if you manage to find a speaker with it for less than £200, be aware that a large chunk of that money is going to Apple for licencing and not being spent on speaker. Bluetooth audio has generally been pretty crappy quality - although there's a new standard out there called aptX which sounds decent. iOS doesn't yet support it. If you can live with a 1/8inch to two phono plugs lead, and drive powered speakers directly from the iPad, then you'll get a lot more sound for your buck.

It's definately an option but wireless was the preferred  route

lets get shootin

Andy is off-line
30 April 2013 18:54
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife

I'm not even sure of the source music she has on it anyway !
She has bought itunes stuff for her iphone, but recently she's been at the ipad for hours playing on an app called imusic (basically its the video and songs sourced from you tube i think )? so not sure of the source musics quality ? presumably its just an mp3 file ?
Anyway she wants to have it through a decent system/speakers !
lets get shootin

Neil Anderson is off-line
30 April 2013 20:43
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk £49
http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am1/camb-topaz-am1-blk £79
http://www.richersounds.com/product/hi-fi-interconnects/cambridge-audio/aud100-3.5-1m/camb-aud100-2ph-1m £10

Total £140

For example
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
01 May 2013 01:38
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I simply bought a phono connection cable to connect it to my existing hifi and it works perfectly (I just have the iPad sat at the side of the hifi when listening to Spotify or podcasts)

The one I got was an Arcam one that although has extra wiring for the amp to control the iPad/Pod/Phone it works fine just dangling it down the back unconnected (I've put a little plastic bag over the redundant connector to avoid shorting). Mine also allows a charger to be connected to it.

Cost me ~£20 IIRC
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

raw and the cooked is off-line
01 May 2013 02:11
Rawandthecooked
Photographer

London

The harmon stick speakers and subwoofer are very satisfying, and quite sexy! H ave them jacked into the tv, macbook or I pad!

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Charlotte90 chosin danixhale jensomerfield scarlettfoxett
adamjt7 andygstudios basil Blancho bradder clarmike Creativedge digitizer duncanjames gazzer59 iestyn James7799 jpdo keltica magpie1 mrdl Platidonio Puremoods redbaron Rhadamanthus Rhphoto Rscott360 Snooper911 stevegosh TinDolls wacTony Willjamieson