Hugh is off-lineGold Member
21 April 2013 09:43
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Might be some lens to lens variation.
Lot of hand assembly going on with the rarer L lenses.

They don't sell very many 35/1.4L compared to 70-200/2.8L.

Mind you, the current 35/1.4 is about £1,000.
Would I pay £1800 for a better one - unlikely.

It's like medium format digital - nice, but really worth the money?
Not unless you can get someone else to pay for it.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
21 April 2013 10:22
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Quote from Hugh
The only real reason for Canon to replace either is if there is some insanely high MP camera coming - like 45MP.

Realistically, the money Canon would make by killing off Medium format digital is insignificant compared to what they can make from Video - which is where their research money seems to be going.

I read somewhere that world wide only a few hundred MF digital camera systems were sold last year so it's not a huge market. A rep for a large professional retailer told me they sell can 5D's on a 5:1 video to stills ratio. That's where the market is and clearly how Canon are skewing their emphasis.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
21 April 2013 14:09
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from magpie1
I read somewhere that world wide only a few hundred MF digital camera systems were sold last year so it's not a huge market.

Hasselblad on their website claim to have a turnover of over $350million a year, that's a hell of a lot more than simply a few hundred (it must be in the tens of thousands at least), not to mention the market also has other makes such as Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya and Leica.  The R&D costs alone would dictate $millions in costs so in turn they must sell an awful lot more than you give credit for and I suggest the article you read is a load of crap.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Sacredo is off-line
21 April 2013 14:32
Sacredo
Photographer
Sacredo
Surrey

Quote from Hugh
o put it all in perspective, in my experience, the Canon 35/1,4L at f5.6 will easily make a very sharp, detailed 20" x 30" print which rivals 5x4" film - and I've owned and used 5" x4".

That's interesting ... I'm about to sell mine. I wanted a 35mm for a particular project so I compared it to the 24-70II at 35 ... I was shocked to discovered that the zoom was far better than the prime (this was shooting at f4) - it's not supposed to be like that! ;-)

I'm also considering selling the 135 f2 for similar reasons.
Photographer

21 April 2013 14:57
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Sacredo
That's interesting ... I'm about to sell mine. I wanted a 35mm for a particular project so I compared it to the 24-70II at 35 ... I was shocked to discovered that the zoom was far better than the prime (this was shooting at f4) - it's not supposed to be like that! ;-) I'm also considering selling the 135 f2 for similar reasons.

The current mk2 versions of both the 24-70 and 70-200 are said to surpass even the primes of similar focal lengths although their somewhat increased price tags over the mk1 versions this shouldn't be too surprising, especially since the 35mm and 135mm L primes are two of Canon's oldest lens designs (not just in the shape of the optical elements but also factoring in the coatings/optical materials used).  One suggestion I read somewhere (a rumor) was that Canon had optimised these lenses (and other recent ones) for an oversized image circle (the EF mount would permit this) rather than to simply cover the standard 36x24mm image area.  If this is true then the further rumors of either an enlarged sensor or the square sensor format seem logical for a potential upcoming large megapixel camera.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
21 April 2013 14:58
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Hmmm...
Just been back and looked at one I've printed that big - it's sharp.

Mind you, looking at the colour version, not quite so impressive.
First time I've looked at the RAW file in colour.
It's normally set up for BW, orange filter straight from the camera into DPP.

Maybe that's the difference.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

21 April 2013 15:13
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Hugh
It's normally set up for BW, orange filter straight from the camera into DPP. Maybe that's the difference.

In a way that could make sense as the filtering (even with digital) could be eliminating elements of chromatic aberration.

Paul Cox is off-line
22 April 2013 00:37
paulcoxphotography
Photographer
paulcoxphotography
Greater Manchester

Quote from RedChecker
the market also has other makes such as Leaf, Phase One, Mamiya and Leica.

The first 3 are the same company these days.

12 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
kelleanne sehrishkhan
Antz Dphphotography keltica Redbaron RenedeHaan skinz snapcandy southernsnapper stevegosh Thunder_Photos