Reminder Secure

models just doing it for money

10 May 2013 06:36
johnlp
Photographer

Enthusiasm from a model goes a hell of a long way, and is probably the key to a memorable shoot.

The motivation behind why some people want to model must be hugely varied, but earning money must be high on the list. I've had a reasonable percentage of models where this seems to be their only motivation, and the shoots are competent and totally boring. I sometimes look back at these images and I can't even remember the model's name or anything about the shoot. I've had others who have got a set routine with set poses and are impossible to direct. You might as well attach a devise to the camera for taking a shot every ten seconds and go and have a cup of tea, or read a book and come back at the end to collect your equipment. Or better still just ask them to send you a CD with images from one of their previous shoots. Real collaboration, on the other hand, is a joy. You feed off each others ideas, the enthusiasm and energy levels of the shoot rises and at the end you feel elated. Most shoots seem to fall between the solid, professional job well done and the high of feeling that you've both achieved something worthwhile. I'm working with a model at the moment who is constantly thinking about the props and poses and making suggestions on how to improve. Fabulous. If I could bottle just a little of this dynamism I would offer it to the highest bidder.

CGW is off-line
10 May 2013 07:34
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster
Hampshire
Basingstoke

Quote from PaulManuell

I doubt there're many photographers who get into photography purely to spend as much money as they can on equipment.

Looking at some of the forum posts on dpreview, I think that's exactly what some do

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
10 May 2013 07:40
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from PaulManuell
I doubt there're many photographers who get into photography purely to spend as much money as they can on equipment.

laugh
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

10 May 2013 07:46
photoclassic
Photographer

Every relationship is a two-way street. There needs to be a rapport for a shoot to work well and that only comes if everyone makes the effort.

If the model has just travelled x hundred miles to shoot with a photographer she has never met, then she needs to get a good vibe from the photographer too, or she's going to wonder why she bothered.

If you stand there with a face like a guppy, expecting her to pull rabbits out of a hat you are going to be sorely disappointed. The very best models will do their utmost to rescue the atmosphere on a stilted shoot but only because otherwise it will be a VERY long day and they know they need to get something worthwhile for you from the shoot or they will get the blame.

There are plenty of "mawdulls" out there who are only interested in the money and there are others who are just plain boring people with no creativity who just cannot grasp that they are not suitable for this kind of work but a quick scan of portfolios will weed out 80% and the rest can be weeded out very easily in pre-shoot comms.
We do not stop playing because we have grown old; we grow old because we have stopped playing

Kevin Wilson is off-lineSilver Member
10 May 2013 10:22
kerandastudio2
Studio
kerandastudio2
Norfolk
Kings Lynn

Quote from moodimage
Just wondered how many photographers get models wanting good money just cause the can get nude and are not interested in the modeling side of the deal and don't show much enthusiasm once on set.

Have just noted original posting. Why pick on models I ask ? Is this not a fact of any walk of life. You get craftsman builders you get cowboy builders, good painters,plumbers,electricians,machanics, hairdressers, drivers and you get the cowboys and those that will take short cuts.
Is no different with models and photographers, I was for many years an in demand wedding photographer, for the most part I enjoyed the work, other times uncooperative clergy, drunken guest's ,yes I was just there for a pay day.
If the uninterested attitude of models is a regular occurance for the poster, I would suggest a little self examination,do you make the booking interesting for your model ? involve the models in your project, because you actually sound as if by paying a fee you expect it to buy you enthusiasm from your model.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
10 May 2013 11:16
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from johnlp
... Real collaboration... is a joy. You feed off each others ideas, the enthusiasm and energy levels of the shoot rises and at the end you feel elated...

I couldn't have said it any better.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

NICOLE MAY  is off-line
10 May 2013 12:09
fishing
Model
fishing
Ukraine
Kiev, Europe

Quote from photoclassic
Every relationship is a two-way street. There needs to be a rapport for a shoot to work well and that only comes if everyone makes the effort.

If the model has just travelled x hundred miles to shoot with a photographer she has never met, then she needs to get a good vibe from the photographer too, or she's going to wonder why she bothered.

If you stand there with a face like a guppy, expecting her to pull rabbits out of a hat you are going to be sorely disappointed. The very best models will do their utmost to rescue the atmosphere on a stilted shoot but only because otherwise it will be a VERY long day and they know they need to get something worthwhile for you from the shoot or they will get the blame.

There are plenty of "mawdulls" out there who are only interested in the money and there are others who are just plain boring people with no creativity who just cannot grasp that they are not suitable for this kind of work but a quick scan of portfolios will weed out 80% and the rest can be weeded out very easily in pre-shoot comms.

I totally agree with you. The photographer should make model feel comfortable,etc. Some photographers don`t have any manners to act, How many up there photographers who are genuine and work on professional manners? I think only few from 100s.

Nicole May

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Kingpanther786
bogan carshaltonkev doctor rscott360 skinz