Reminder Secure

Why do we shoot?

Ash is off-line
16 April 2013 11:00
hoodoo
Photographer
hoodoo
East Sussex

Not a portfolio review, done that, didn't enjoy it one bit, but very related.

After reading portfolio reviews on here I wondered – apart from money – why do you take photos? are they solely for personal pleasure or to gain praise from others? If it is personal pleasure then why do we show them of on the internet and ask for comments and reviews?

Am I looking to deeply into this? probably, discuss…

Bryony Edwards is off-lineSilver Member
16 April 2013 15:39
bryonyphotography
Photographer
bryonyphotography
Derbyshire
Mansfield

I think everyone posts they're images and asks for critique for their own reasons. However, i do think that they fit into two , maybe three, broad categories (and you can quite easily tell who is in what category)

There are :

1. people who actually want to improve and are asking the input of people they can learn from. These tend to be more structured questions, or in relation to a specific set of images.

2. people looking for validation. These are the people who post for a portfolio review by saying simply "review my port" and then are thoroughly annoyed when they don't get entirely glowing feedback.

3. The people who want to check the validity of someone else's comment. normally begins with a statement followed by a question.
e.g.. "my friend said that selective colour was cheesy and outdated and that i shouldn't be charging clients when i don't know what aperture means. Is this true? what does aperture mean?" People from group 3 can be more generally categorised into 1 or 2.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
16 April 2013 16:00
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Some people do it for money... good reason.

Some people do it so they can look at naked chicks... good reason.
There are far worse, and far more expensive hobbies... golf is expensive and dull, fishing is uncomfortable and dull, racing anything is expensive.

Some do it because they like cameras and other shiny toys... good reason.

Some do it because they like winning things... you see a lot of that in camera clubs.

Some people have a need to create art... doesn't mean it's good art or bad art.
If you have that drive, you don't have much choice about it.
Life is probably a bit easier if you don't have the need to create art.
If you don't have it, it's fairly difficult to understand why people do it.
Art without an audience is a bit meaningless.
If you can reach a sympathetic audience that understands what you're trying to do, that's even better.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

16 April 2013 16:50
Socialdisaster
Photographer

I lead a particular lifestyle and my photos are an extension of that lifestyle. I enjoy producing what I produce, because it reflects how I am, by and large.

Plus, it's one of my creative outlets.

I dont look or ask for any validation, from anyone. Never have, never will, so long as it pleases me, that's good enough.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Sacredo is off-line
16 April 2013 17:23
Sacredo
Photographer
Sacredo
Surrey

Quote from Hugh

Art without an audience is a bit meaningless.

Is it? What part does the audience play?
Photographer

16 April 2013 18:00
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from Sacredo

Is it? What part does the audience play?

Is art about communication?
or just decoration?

Alan Johnson is off-line
17 April 2013 02:24
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

There are probably lots of reasons.  However for me it is about a creative/artistic outlet.  (yes I know some dislike the artistic thing).
I cannot draw, most 5 year olds draw better than I do;  I cannot play a musical instument or sing,  in fact I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!  At primary school, where everyone had to do something in music,  I was given the triangle.....no striker,  just the triangle!

Pre internet, I shared my images with photographer friends mainly,  shortly followed by the other members of a camera club.  There I was 'encouraged' to enter the club competitions and found the judges' comments really useful.  Winning competitions wasn't exactly unpleasant,  but the amount I learnt during that time was amazing.  In one competition, judged here and in Australia, one judge scored at the high end the other judge scored it at the low end,  but their comments were all useful.
I also recall a judge who just didn't like my work.  Having had all three of my entries slated by him, an older member of the club told me to ignore him.  Instead, I bought him a cup of tea and asked if he could give me some pointers to improve.  My photography improved almost overnight.  

Internet portfolios are mostly about showing potential models what sort/genre of image I'm planning for shoots.

I find photography also gives me a way of relaxing away from the hassle of a high pressure job.  I love catching something that only existed for a second,  even if it meant waiting half an hour!  I enjoy studio shoots where the interaction of two creative minds, (model and photographer), can take an idea off on a tangent and create some good, unplanned images.

Oh!  Its also the cheapest of my hobbies!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

17 April 2013 03:05
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from Hugh

Is art about communication?
or just decoration?

Can only assume you have no artistic need in you. Historically people have created art because they want to, need to, it's an outlet. Historically most "famous" artists were unknown most of their lives, but they never stopped, because they needed to create. The person sitting in their bedroom playing a guitar 12 hours a day needs to do it.

It's only modern culture where people have added a need to explain themselves.

true art is made only because we can. It isn't about communication, it isn't about decoration, it's about the artist needing to get that art out of them. Anything else is secondary.

17 April 2013 03:07
Socialdisaster
Photographer

Quote from Alan_Jay
Internet portfolios are mostly about showing potential models what sort/genre of image I'm planning for shoots.

This, don't mistake the presence of a portfolio as a need for an audience, it's a means to end for many. We need models, models need to see what we can do, but the pictures are not created for the models, that's simply a by product.

17 April 2013 03:25
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from Socialdisaster

Can only assume you have no artistic need in you.

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Asian_amy_Latina
Cheshunt83 Dave@studio99 jyp nicholas_ainsley Vinceb