Reminder Secure

A career without nude

13 April 2013 16:32
DAT
Model

Hey there

I'm relatively still new to the modelling world and I have only done a few shoots. So far I can say I've loved modelling and I definitely want to keep going with it, I've even been considering the possibility of being able to earn some money down the line providing that I am good enough.

However...

Actually so far I have been offered two decently paid jobs but they aren't quite what I want to get myself involved in. The first was a 'Nude & Erect' shoot and the other was a nude shoot for a website that had paying members. I am still gutted to have had to turn those jobs down because the money would have been a big help especially as I am a student, however I just don't want to do those kind of shoots, no matter how much money I am offered.

I've got the impression there is a lot of work in this area, so much so that it has made me think whether I am able to have much of any kind of modelling career without doing shoots like that.

So I guess the question I am curious to ask is, how realistic is it for me to have a modelling career without doing nude, erect or other kinds of shoots that are overly sexual and explicit ?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all feedback

David

13 April 2013 16:59
Socialdisaster
Photographer

I think it's as realistic as having a modelling career *at all* (assuming you mean it literally, and not just as a term to mean the time that you want to spend modelling).

But to be fair, look at your port. No one should be pushing your levels, but your port does kind of scream sexy half / fully naked man. It's kinda like a female model putting up utterly sexy photos in tiny sheer underwear in a shower covered in oil while pulling an orgasmic face and "wondering" if she can have a career on the catwalk and why is she only getting requests for UK Mag level :P
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

13 April 2013 17:04
DAT
Model

Hey

Yeah your absolutely right! I feel like a bit of a hypercrit to be honest now.

Well I am comfortable working topless and implied nude, I guess I was just curious as to how much work I am able to get without actually doing naked, erotic work.

But yeah, my port is asking for it so I guess that is probably why I will get those kind of work offers.

Thanks for the reply

David

13 April 2013 17:09
Socialdisaster
Photographer

It's probably also worth remembering that as a male you are in quite a minority on sites like these (hell, I bet most of can only name one male model - joel hicks) so anyone who wants to shoot you (at any level) is liable to jump on your port, anyway. But the flipside is that there are a lot less people looking to shoot men.
Modesty is just arrogance in stealth mode

Sacredo is off-line
13 April 2013 19:29
Sacredo
Photographer
Sacredo
Surrey

I'd be interested in booking you for art nude (art nude to me is pictures I'm happy for my young kids to see) ... but I'd want to think you were very comfortable being naked in a studio ...

Like most people, I have very specific knowledge of the parts of the industry that I've been involved with (modelling wise) - in my commercial life I tend to work with 'normal people' models who as far as I can tell are selected to show diversity in age, ethnicity and all that kind of thing. These people just look like regular people in the street and earn very healthy day rates (though most of them seem to also be actors, comedians etc)... something you could definitely do - but don't know how much work is out there...

Photographer

Danny Barson is off-line
13 April 2013 20:19
dannybarson
Photographer
dannybarson
Nottinghamshire
Sutton-In-Ashfield

I guess I'm one of those in the minority, and mainly shoot male models. For me personally, it dosn't bother me if a male model does nudes or not, some of the guys ive shot have, but most dont,and some will only do nudes with me and not with anyone else, so even if I see a model has done nudes with other people I never assume they will want to with me, a lot of models try diffrent aspects of modelling, especially when starting out to find out where they feel thier comfort zone is. Its all down to your boundries and what you want to do.
You shouldnt feel forced to go down that avenue if its out of your comfort zone. The problem is, and I've never understood this, that guys get paid less than female models, even in the adult industry, even though you are esssentially doing the same job. But it is in that industry where a male model would make most money. The fashion world has always been more geared towards females too, look in any mixed sex clothing shop 3/4 of the shop will be womens clothing and only a 1/4 will be mens. So it only stands to reason, that there is less demand for male models.
What you have to remember is, how you would feel down the line if you did do nude/adult work because it paid well at the time. Only you can answer that one.

Chrissie Red is off-line
13 April 2013 21:04
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from DAT
Hey there I'm relatively still new to the modelling world and I have only done a few shoots. So far I can say I've loved modelling and I definitely want to keep going with it, I've even been considering the possibility of being able to earn some money down the line providing that I am good enough. However... Actually so far I have been offered two decently paid jobs but they aren't quite what I want to get myself involved in. The first was a 'Nude & Erect' shoot and the other was a nude shoot for a website that had paying members. I am still gutted to have had to turn those jobs down because the money would have been a big help especially as I am a student, however I just don't want to do those kind of shoots, no matter how much money I am offered. I've got the impression there is a lot of work in this area, so much so that it has made me think whether I am able to have much of any kind of modelling career without doing shoots like that. So I guess the question I am curious to ask is, how realistic is it for me to have a modelling career without doing nude, erect or other kinds of shoots that are overly sexual and explicit ? Thanks for reading and I appreciate all feedback David

What I find amusing is that despite you stating in your opening post and the title being "A career without nude" you still have people saying they will pay you and shoot you to nude levels. Its pretty clear you are not comfortable with the idea of shooting nude and I have to be honest with you in that I respect your decision not to do nude even if the offer of money is tempting. Lets face it if you feel pressured into doing something you would rather not do modelling wise it always shows in the images. I do nude work but its something I enjoy doing and feel very passionate about, if it was about money alone then I really don't think I would be able to do it quite so well (that sounds far more big headed than I intended).

As mentioned Joel is a fantastic example of a successful male model, he is very much in the minority and shoots to nude. Many of the male models appear to be only to happy to be used almost as if they were a prop (most of the time not getting paid for the pleasure) especially when it comes to internet land. If making money is your incentive or a massive factor in why you want to model then I'm afraid the future is bleak - there really isn't much demand for male fashion/topless models despite what you might think. Once in a blue moon I see a casting for a male model, and I'm not sure if that once in a blue moon would be able to help you much with funding your studies.

I'm not entirely sure how tall male fashion models would need to be but I'm sure its taller than 5'8 also I'm not entirely sure your look is suited to the "fashion" world, at the moment your portfolio kind of says male glamour.. I read on your portfolio that you do not want to do nude shoots, and judging from your post here its not something you want to do so you might be better taking down the nude shots from your portfolio - I know they are more "concealled" than nude but most people don't see the difference - if you are nude then you are nude.

You may pick up the odd paid gig here and there but I really wouldn't intend to rely on it as a source of income, even for experienced female nude models its not a walk in the park. I do roughly 2 paid shoots a week, I couldn't support myself on that income alone.

Sorry to put a dampner on things

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
14 April 2013 03:17
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Models One have a minimum height to apply of 5'11" - so it would appear your height is going to be a limiting factor for big earning fashion work.

http://www.models1.co.uk/become-men.aspx?nav=51
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

14 April 2013 04:23
DAT
Model

Thanks for the reply's.

Like I said I'm just starting out so I guess I was just curious as to how much work potential there could be down the line, I was probably thinking a big too unrealistic by throwing in the words 'Work' and 'Paid' in there. I guess I'l just keep doing modelling work when I can for the fun and experience and just do whatever I feel comfortable doing

David

Dominic Thurmer is off-linePlatinum Member
14 April 2013 07:03
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Kent
Gillingham

All the Male models I've shot have struggled in reality to find steady income in modelling alone. Its tended to support other activities mainly fitness instruction, acting aspirations or perhaps a dedicated Martial Artist who want to expand their appeal. If anything the modelling opens up additional followings from people and you can enhance your Facebook/Twitter/website activity with great photos that will connect you with possible employers.

Occasionally a fashion (seems more often T-shirt) designer might pay you to model their gear, again by opening up your contact/profile across a range of social medias with great pictures you might find it puts you in a better position, you wont find enough action here on PS so look into other similar sites too to help get exposure,

Good luck,

Dominic

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin kacie kkoch
analog bbphotos boc david1500 dorrian eosfan GSC4X Jamesrichards lenspoynter MIB mike0048 MrDL Vinceb
matt