Andy is off-line
10 April 2013 05:30
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife
fife based, but Scotland wide

[ Admin Warning -  Another Soapbox Thread ]

It's all over sky news this morning about Durham College investigations into gas fracking and how the hype about earthquakes are nonsense ? with them stating that the minor quakes caused by it are so small only geologists with the correct equipment can record it, and how it will undoubtedly benefit the country with cheaper gas prices (my arse ! if you think the developers/sponsors are doing it to give you a good deal ? return immediately to cloud cuckoo land)) and fuel security for the long term ?

What they dont tell you is about the other environmental issues with it seaping into waterways and even your drinking water supply
check this video out, there are plenty more like it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBjSXWQRV8coming to your area ?    
 https://docs.google.com/a/greenpeace.org/file/d/0B1cEvov1OlyHbnlUUFRLZEloSWM/edit?pli=1
lets get shootin

Paul is off-line
10 April 2013 07:04
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Lancashire

Its on my doorstep and what is most worrying is the level of apathy shown by local residents, there will no doubt be environmental issues and with them will come health issues,tumbling house prices etc yet no one seems over concerned! People these days just sleepwalk through life while these big industries sponsored by whichever government is in power brainwash the people with TV and general crap while doing whatever they please!! There are many examples on you tube etc I just wish I could get more people to watch them! The local councillors just push jobs and cheaper fuel as the good reason to continue which are both questionable. Caudrillar are even spreading their propaganda in local schools to brainwash the kids! What do you do??

OldMaster is off-line
10 April 2013 07:09
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

It's forecast to become the largest source of fuel in the US making them self sufficient on shale gas alone..apparently.

I know we have a much smaller land mass and much higher population densities but we need a long term solution and fracking should not be dismissed on insufficient information. Is it really more dangerous than digging deep coal mines and pits or quarry blasting for instance?

In my view virtually any opportunity to not go down the flawed route of nuclear needs careful consideration.

It is true we benefited little from north sea gas 'cos we sold it, but that was a political decision!!

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
10 April 2013 07:30
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from paulcase
Its on my doorstep and what is most worrying is the level of apathy shown by local residents,

We have a slightly different approach down here but for what I would call the wrong reasons. Their is a plan to put a wind turbine 'farm' in Poole Bay, well about 10 miles from land, and all the arguments to date have been over whether or not it will spoil the view and keep grockles away - very few people are actually asking whether or not wind generated power on such a small scale is worthwhile.

It was broken when I got here

Andy is off-line
10 April 2013 08:17
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife

Quote from OldMaster
It's forecast to become the largest source of fuel in the US making them self sufficient on shale gas alone..apparently.

I know we have a much smaller land mass and much higher population densities but we need a long term solution and fracking should not be dismissed on insufficient information. Is it really more dangerous than digging deep coal mines and pits or quarry blasting for instance?

In my view virtually any opportunity to not go down the flawed route of nuclear needs careful consideration.

It is true we benefited little from north sea gas 'cos we sold it, but that was a political decision!!

Ans: without a doubt much more dangerous, do some research or check out the dvd Gasland-shows whats already happening in the states

lets get shootin

Andy is off-line
10 April 2013 11:53
photostore
Photographer
photostore
Fife

The company that owns the technology for fracking wont even divulge to the American government what the chemical cocktail is that they pump into the ground to make it possible ? but be sure it ain't sugar and spice and all things nice
lets get shootin

OldMaster is off-line
10 April 2013 12:00
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Hertfordshire
Harpenden

I'll take a look because this issue does interest me ..thanks!

HowardJ is off-line
10 April 2013 12:23
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

The view is shale gas will not be a big contributor to the UK energy market as our geology makes it uneconomic to extract and the volumes yielded would be lowerer. As a result it won't be happening in a major way in the UK.

Nuclear is probably the most cost effective way to go for the UK.

The UK has recently started signing gas supply deals with the US so they'll become more important to us and yes we might take some of their more expensive gas. I'm assuming they'll keep the cheaper gas for themselves as I think with shale the US will no longer be depend on external supplies. This will buy their economy the time to develop new cleaner energy generation technologies whilst still being competitive.

Basically UK governments have failed to make the big energy generation decisions in time and now the UK is feeling the pain. Here's an interesting article about the impact on Europe http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9982885/Europe-falling-behind-US-and-blighted-by-energy-costs.html

The UK government should have got on with building more nuclear power stations years ago, so we weren't able to be put over a barrel by the Russians, Middle East and the US.

You voted for them and this is what you get. HowardJ is a naughty person happens and then you die (possibly as a poor old person in fuel poverty)

Robert Blandford is off-lineSilver Member
11 April 2013 18:12
couchpotato
Photographer
couchpotato
New Zealand
Kirwee

Fracking BAND in New Zealand.......

Matt Harper is off-line
11 April 2013 18:18
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from photostore
Ans: without a doubt much more dangerous, do some research or check out the dvd Gasland-shows whats already happening in the states

Naturally, you can access this but Durham can't 

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Cody illy_xx Lucy2108 Winterlilly
63jian bengie diphoto dorrian gazza GlasgowPhotographer imageatthemill keltica Ladiesman mikebee oro panda49 photostevo plymjack Snooper911 stevegosh steveh32 Willjamieson