Reminder Secure

Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

This thread is being watched by 2 people
09 April 2013 01:29
stevephot
Photographer

Quote from GSC4X
Gobsmacked at some of the views expressed on here.  Dissappointented.

The alternatives were Michael Foot,  Neil Kinnock.....would we have fared better under those governments?  I doubt it.  Great leader and a fantastic politician, no matter what your party politics are/were.  A true Briton.  Rest in Peace, your country owes you so much.

ok with a statement like that you have to say why Kinnock or Foot would have ben worse (dont go on about the person but on their policies).

There are romantics out there who seem to think by destroying communities and industries was an effective way to change conditions.  Rather than investing the money she made from Oil into the country .  Hang on...arnt we going through the same thing with Cameron

Dont blame me..i voted for the other lot :)

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
09 April 2013 02:27
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

Well, she did deregulate the banks (City of London), with as much thought as she deregulated buses.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

Alan Johnson is off-line
09 April 2013 02:49
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

Quote from stevephot
ok with a statement like that you have to say why Kinnock or Foot would have ben worse (dont go on about the person but on their policies).

There are romantics out there who seem to think by destroying communities and industries was an effective way to change conditions.  Rather than investing the money she made from Oil into the country .  Hang on...arnt we going through the same thing with Cameron

As I recall, she took power from Labour, inheriting a country paralysed by strikes and militants and began an 18 year reign for the Tories during which the country prospered. Interesting how she was re-elected if she was so bad!!  Labour came back into power in '97, lived off the back of what had been "gifted" to them by the previous government's decisions and policies for a term and then began implementing their own.  Then shortly after, the recession hit, the banks failed, he resigned and we elected a different government who have been "gifted" by the outgoing guys, unfortunately theirs wasn't as good as the one they received back in 1997.  So yes, the situation is very similar in that this government is having to make unpleasent decisions to clear up Labour's mess. 

I remember what it was like with the union barons thinking that they could run the country for their own gain.  It may be worth remembering that the union leaders were not quite so affected as the workers out on strike!  I remember the speaches given by Scargill et al and they didn't appear to me to be about improving the lot of the workers,  more about proving how big and hard they were and promising to destroy an elected government.

My paternal grandfather was involved in the pit unions at their birth.  However as a man of honour, he would, I am sure, have been horrified by the way that the unions bosses abused their power in the pre- Thatcher days.

I didn't like much of what her government did, but then, as now, her opponents had no viable alternative to offer.

I suggest that thiose who are claiming to be happy at her death are the sort of person who would have bowed their heads and scurried away from her in real life.  Even recently when she was a sick old lady.  She had the sort of courage that they can only dream of!
Whilst these self proclaimed political experts are happy to tell all how wrong she was and how they know so much better than we mere mortals,  they certainly do NOT have the courage to stand for election and prove it.  Far better for them to hide behind a computer and attack a dead person,  which is about the limit of their courage.

As for those who claim she was anti women,  you really should look beyond the stories in the press and think about what life was like in those days.  Here's a clue,  it wasn't the same as now!!
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Tony Stephenson is off-line
09 April 2013 02:55
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from stevephot
 ....... we have lost those skills because she wanted to break the unions...and you call that leadership!! .

Yes she did Steve but the mining strike wasn't really about pay and conditions... it was about yet another Soviet backed union Baron personally wanting to bring down the Conservatives...he used the miners for his own agenda so don't blame Thatcher for everything that happened to the miners! 

The union Barons were virtually running the country and dictating policy up until Thatcher came along - even by then the average member of the public was sick and tired of all the strikes, inefficiency and havoc wreaked in our industries by these subversives and that is how Thatcher was able to break the unions... with the blessing of the majority of voters at the time!
In the end, there was little support for the miners by the majority and they effectively sealed their own fate! Mind you, Scargill didn't come out of it too badly, unlike those he led to disastser.

www.le-femme.co.uk

Jesfish is off-line
09 April 2013 04:47
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Quote from Alan_Jay

I suggest that thiose who are claiming to be happy at her death are the sort of person who would have bowed their heads and scurried away from her in real life.  Even recently when she was a sick old lady.  She had the sort of courage that they can only dream of!
Whilst these self proclaimed political experts are happy to tell all how wrong she was and how they know so much better than we mere mortals,  they certainly do NOT have the courage to stand for election and prove it.  Far better for them to hide behind a computer and attack a dead person,  which is about the limit of their courage.

As for those who claim she was anti women,  you really should look beyond the stories in the press and think about what life was like in those days.  Here's a clue,  it wasn't the same as now!!

Exactly my point!...I think you put it much better!  R.I.P MT.

nigel kent is off-line
09 April 2013 05:53
sirspread
Photographer
sirspread
Avon
bath

i have never seen so much hatred for one person....a lot of it justified in my opinion

David Heels is off-line
09 April 2013 06:03
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

Quote from tocopubs
One of the things Margaret Thatcher did was to bring in the Video Recordings Act in 1984. This meant that anyone who wished to shoot and sell a video had to submit it to a private limited company (the British Board of Film Classification) on payment of a substantial fee for a non-elected body to grant them authority to market that video. Failure to do so and you could go to prison. The VRA made no distinction between a small-time home-made glamour enterprise and a million-dollar hard-core operation, or even a Hollywood Studio. Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers was refused a certificate first, I recall, for movie theatre exhibition. Anyone who attempted to sell a (perfectly legal elsewhere) video of this flick at the time faced, if caught, a stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure. What a star Maggie was. Rest in peace (?!?)

Sorry to correct you, but Natural Born Killers came out in 1994. Thatcher was ousted in 1990. She did many evil things in her time, but refusing NBK a certificate was not one of them. Perhaps that was one of John Major's oily ministers.

Some Tory councils, certainly banned The Life of Brian.

But your basic point about censorship is a valid and important one. We should never forget the Video Nasty list.

Any politician who tries to ban me from watching the likes of The Evil Dead, The Burning, Last House on the Left, Inferno, Straw Dogs, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, A Clockwork Orange, Scum, etc. is a tyrant and despot, and therefore my enemy. - Even after her death!

Dave

09 April 2013 06:33
Marty_W
Photographer

Never liked Thatcher or any Tory really but, as one of the first posts reads, she is
A mother sister etc, love her or hate her let's not be like Tory troll Louise Mensch
and Red Check who want to insult labour voters/ lefties.
I could go on a huge rant about her, but why? She's dead
now.
Her rein of terror was over years ago, its in the past learn from it.
She also branded Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Something you've all missed.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
09 April 2013 06:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Marty_W
She also branded Nelson Mandela a terrorist. Something you've all missed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he have a major role to play in the Church Street Bombing (among others) in 1983 where 19 people were killed and 217 wounded?

Whether for the right reasons or not, that would still be seen as terrorism in most people's eyes.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

tomhl is off-line
09 April 2013 06:53
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
Ayrshire
Dumfries,Ayr,Carlisle,Glasgow,Manchester

Quote from gerryquiff
I say good riddens to her.  She ruined many communities in my area, and I'm sure there's many in those communities that wish they could afford to celebrate in style.

http://www.milksnatcher.com/

Putting a link up celebrating the death of someone ,shows what a sad man you are.

My imagination wants to see the vivid colours of reality .

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
casell FirstLifePhotography iestyn JohnDentonPhoto Symon1