This thread is being watched by 2 people
Marcel Christian is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 16:26
nessie
Photographer
nessie
East Sussex

Quote from gerryquiff
I say good riddens to her.  She ruined many communities in my area, and I'm sure there's many in those communities that wish they could afford to celebrate in style.

http://www.milksnatcher.com/

It's a sad day when a community is torn apart from loss of industry, but having lived through the 70's and the union stranglehold, I can't help feeling that change was needed to survive. I'm convinced mistakes were made, but that's often the case when progressing.

If we could turn back the clock, remove Maggie and let Michael Foot show what he'd have done, we would have had a very different Britain. A rewind button would be essential before trying it out - I believe we'd have been a third world nation.

Marcel Christian is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 16:30
nessie
Photographer
nessie
East Sussex

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
She was the following things:
1. A Great Natural Leader.
2. A person with utter belief in what she was doing.
3. Someone with Convictions and is happy to say what she believed and act on it.
4. Someone who was not intimidated
5. Someone who was hard as nails.
6. Someone who took on some vested interests and won.
7. Someone who allowed other vested interests to become too strong.
7. Someone who allowed her views and beliefs to cloud her judgement leading to massive pain for much of the population.
8. Someone who was the architect of her own Downfall with the Poll Tax and Arrogance.
9. A trail blazer.
10. A divisive figure who could not understand many of parts of the population.

She was the last of the real politician in the UK.

Loved or Loathed it does not matter. Has there been a Prime Minister so loved or hated 20 years after they had lost the leadership.

And even Tony Blair when interviewed today sang her praises, such was her impact in the shaping of "New Labour".

08 April 2013 16:33
tocopubs
Photographer

One of the things Margaret Thatcher did was to bring in the Video Recordings Act in 1984. This meant that anyone who wished to shoot and sell a video had to submit it to a private limited company (the British Board of Film Classification) on payment of a substantial fee for a non-elected body to grant them authority to market that video. Failure to do so and you could go to prison. The VRA made no distinction between a small-time home-made glamour enterprise and a million-dollar hard-core operation, or even a Hollywood Studio. Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers was refused a certificate first, I recall, for movie theatre exhibition. Anyone who attempted to sell a (perfectly legal elsewhere) video of this flick at the time faced, if caught, a stretch at Her Majesty's Pleasure. What a star Maggie was. Rest in peace (?!?)

08 April 2013 16:34
onebadpuppy
Photographer

That dreadful woman did more damage to British Industry than the Luftwaffe ever did.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 April 2013 16:47
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from onebadpuppy
That dreadful woman did more damage to British Industry than the Luftwaffe ever did.

All she did was gently ease-in the final nail in the coffin, the unions did all of the hard work themselves with their neverending strikes.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

08 April 2013 16:56
comemodelling
Photographer
This member has been suspended

Try growing up in an inner city area in the 80s and you will see exactly why this person is without doubt the most hated English person of the last Thousand years along with Oliver Cromwell ! Good to see Celebrations in Glasgow Tonight ! I will personally be shooting or doing something much more enjoyable than watching an undeserved State Funeral on TV for this Dreadful Woman

08 April 2013 16:56
stevephot
Photographer

You need to look at the facts of her time in power.

We had the highest of employment rates the country has ever seen, the lowest of wages and the highest suicide rates.

Horden Pit was the biggest in Europe, it was a teaching pit. Every pit that opened 30 years before Hordens closure and 10 years after had the expertise of Hordens pit somewhere along the line (im talking worldwide here). Whether it was the Deputies providing safety and engineering expertise or the scientific or geological expertise it came from Horden.

The same pit had around 200 people completing 3-4 year Apprenticeships annually (these are engineering, electrician, plumbing, carpentry types, not the keyboard types you get nowadays).

Now when you consider that there is at least 1 new pit being opened every week worldwide we have lost those skills because she wanted to break the unions...and you call that leadership!!

The worth of the pits outweighed the cost now we have dont ave any real manufacturing in this country and you wonder why we failed to survive 3 recessions.

Dont blame me..i voted for the other lot :)

08 April 2013 16:58
stevephot
Photographer

Quote from RedChecker
All she did was gently ease-in the final nail in the coffin, the unions did all of the hard work themselves with their neverending strikes.

You are the guy who said it was funny to see the bulldozers roll over a South American Ghetto whilst the people were still in their houses.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
08 April 2013 17:01
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stevephot
You are the guy who said it was funny to see the bulldozers roll over a South American Ghetto whilst the people were still in their houses.

I never said it was funny.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

08 April 2013 17:03
stevephot
Photographer

Quote from RedChecker
I never said it was funny.

Yes you did ...you said you laughed.

That is why thankfully most people on here called you a complete twit (or words to that effect).

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
bonni_cuffs chosin Michelledefeo1 Silkythighslou
AFYS AndyGStudios Apex_photo brendan Cadwallen Chris650 daseinphoto DavidN dby47 gazzer59 grahamsphotography lify markeos50d mghphoto rod_m99 Rscott360 stephenmuddell talldave68 ttstinger will_i_am Willjamieson
grailmodels