Reminder Secure

Baroness Thatcher (retitled)

This thread is being watched by 2 people
08 April 2013 13:51
stevephot
Photographer

Quote from Badger
I think that you ought to revisit your history, she did in fact do a lot for the military, she brought our wages up to levels comparable with civvy street for similar jobs.

I know because I was serving in the Army at the time.

No she didnt. the big increase of 12% was introduced by Major after the gulf war, which brough the wages to comparable to a traffic warden  I know becuase I was a Pte at the time as part of the AMF(L) Sig Sqn in Bulford.

Throughout her period defence spending was cut (Fact)

Manning was reduced -  180,000 to 125,000

Do I need to go on?

Dont blame me..i voted for the other lot :)

Ratana Rose is off-line
08 April 2013 13:58
RattusRock
Model
RattusRock
County Durham
durham

seems appropriate today lol

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 14:21
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from anthonyh
The best thing about Thatcher was what she did for 'Spitting Images'.

Spitting Image was immense.

Perhaps the best political satire show ever.  The only competition was Yes Minister/ Prime Minster.

Loved it.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 14:36
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

It is almost always sad when any person dies, but the reaction to this event does show how mediafests take off. In reality, for at least the last 10 years she has, essentially, disappeared, and been of little interest to anyone. Now an elaborate funeral and eulogies coming, in many cases from the same people, from her own party, who politically assassinated her when she became a liability and a likely election loser. One wonders how many days, hours? after the pomp and circumstance of the funeral is over she will get much of a mention ever again?

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 14:38
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

She was the following things:
1. A Great Natural Leader.
2. A person with utter belief in what she was doing.
3. Someone with Convictions and is happy to say what she believed and act on it.
4. Someone who was not intimidated
5. Someone who was hard as nails.
6. Someone who took on some vested interests and won.
7. Someone who allowed other vested interests to become too strong.
7. Someone who allowed her views and beliefs to cloud her judgement leading to massive pain for much of the population.
8. Someone who was the architect of her own Downfall with the Poll Tax and Arrogance.
9. A trail blazer.
10. A divisive figure who could not understand many of parts of the population.

She was the last of the real politician in the UK.

Loved or Loathed it does not matter. Has there been a Prime Minister so loved or hated 20 years after they had lost the leadership.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

David Heels is off-line
08 April 2013 14:50
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

I was interested to hear that she's being cremated. Presumably so that nobody can dig her back up again.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 April 2013 14:56
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Others might disagree but from personal experience Maggie did more than any PM to get people off work than people into work. Shops were closing down left, right and center, many of those who closed their businesses, stayed on benefits and never return to work again to this day.

Jesfish is off-line
08 April 2013 15:04
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Thatcher did what she thought was best for our country...and whether you like her or not, there is no denying she was an amazing woman, not least for the fact she was a strong woman who achieved a great deal within a male dominated environment.  I have to respect her for that.

People who are making remarks about being glad of her death are pathetic!...but of course the Purestorm trolls could have run the country much better...from behind their computer screens, no doubt!

Simon Chan is off-line
08 April 2013 15:09
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Quote from jes
Thatcher did what she thought was best for our country...and whether you like her or not, there is no denying she was an amazing woman, not least for the fact she was a strong woman who achieved a great deal within a male dominated environment.  I have to respect her for that.

People who are making remarks about being glad of her death are pathetic!...but of course the Purestorm trolls could have run the country much better...from behind their computer screens, no doubt!

You might not know but Maggie was anti women and think a lot of them were rubbish. She made sure she was the only woman who has any say in her cabinet.

Simon Chan is off-line
08 April 2013 15:20
Chandos
Photographer

Merseyside
Liverpool

Thatcher was pro censorship. She allied herself with Mary Whitehouse and went about "cleaning up" videos, pinups, etc. How she would have made of Purestorm if she was still in power one can only guess.

10 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Chebella91 Stephieb27
Blancho cliffc davojj frank4 GerryS2 iestyn marcblackie rscott360