Tony Stephenson is off-line
17 April 2013 19:59
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from anthonyh
Some may love her but history will show she was a destructive force and the most divisive UK political leader in the modern era..indeed....her legacy is still here and the nation, despite the passage of time, is still divided because of her. Of course that is my opinion...I am merely suggesting history will support me. She may have changed the UK for ever...but Hitler managed something similar for Germany (and the world as it happens)...so hardly a recommendation.

Congratulations!

Godwin's Law in action!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Kevin W is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2013 20:01
carshaltonkev
Photographer
carshaltonkev
London
Carshalton / Surrey / Greater London

Quote from BrazenDivas
"This was sent to me from a fellow Scot, some members may enjoy it." And some may think it is pathetic and in bad taste.

I agree- it is rather over the top! The poet must have had strong opinions!

However, some may think that all the endless tributes glorifying Margaret Thatcher and spending £10 million of public money on a state funeral (in all but name) are pathetic and in bad taste. I certainly do. I think giving her a state funeral is an utter disgrace, though I certainly would not want to protest at anybody's funeral.   

There was no need for it. Of the Prime Ministers who have deceased only Churchill has had a similar funeral. And winning World War 2 was somewhat more significant than winning the Falklands War. Why not something more modest paid for by her family who are worth millions?   

As in life, so in a game of hazard, skill will make something of the worst of throws.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
18 April 2013 02:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from carshaltonkev

and spending £10 million of public money on a state funeral (in all but name) are pathetic and in bad taste.

The Thatcher familiy made a sizeable contribution to the funeral which was estimated a few days ago in a news article at around £2million.  A further £3-4million was from a parliament pot I believe that is already set aside for things like this and as far as the other £3-4million for policing, much of it will be reduced as they can reclassify it as training or such like (they did this during the Queen mother's funeral).  All of this is speculation as official figures haven't been released but it's important to remember that any money spent on this will not affect other services as each government department/service has its finances ringfenced so the public (taxpayer) will not notice any loss as such.

It's also worth pointing out that if it weren't for the militancy of left-wing scum, the security bill for this would be greatly reduced.  Not that the cost (financially or otherwise) to the country bothers them when they want to strike/protest.

And as for my own personal feelings, even if it were £10million of public money I think it's well spent.  I'd rather that than to give a single penny to the miners/dockworkers who are still wallowing in self pity after 30 years.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

18 April 2013 03:32
tocopubs
Photographer

"We are all Thatcherites now," said Dave. Really? Bit like "we're all in this together" I suppose.

Spike is off-line
18 April 2013 04:50
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Hertfordshire
St Albans

Maybe this thread should be classed as "yesterday's news", for all the cermony & notable attenddees, due to other events ithe funeral didn't even get a mention on today's BBC breakfast news.
"Photoshop is there to cut diamonds, not polish turds"

Tony Stephenson is off-line
18 April 2013 05:35
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from Spike
Maybe this thread should be classed as "yesterday's news", for all the cermony & notable attenddees, due to other events ithe funeral didn't even get a mention on today's BBC breakfast news.

Now that's a real shock - the BBC omitting to report or comment favourably on anything remotely Thatcher!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
18 April 2013 05:47
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from tonycsm
Now that's a real shock - the BBC omitting to report or comment favourably on anything remotely Thatcher!

They burnt her yesterday. What more is there to say.
I'm guessing you don't regard the continued discussions about the disgustingly expensive charade as a positive story.
What irony that the rising unemployment figures were announced during the ceremony.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
18 April 2013 06:17
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from BrazenDivas
"This was sent to me from a fellow Scot, some members may enjoy it."

And some may think it is pathetic and in bad taste.

I,m a Scot. Not all Scots hated Thatcher, the workshy union lefties and buckfast swilling layabouts did, thats for sure. Even the Tory farmers and landowners hated her mainly as she took away ther ridiculas grants and subsidies, paid for by the taxpayer. Some of us who just wanted to earn what we worked for and keep as much ofthose earnings as possible liked her though!

The poem is neither in good or bad taste as far as i,m concerned, its just typical whingeing.
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Neil Anderson is off-line
18 April 2013 06:25
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from IainT

I,m a Scot. Not all Scots hated Thatcher, the workshy union lefties and buckfast swilling layabouts did, thats for sure. Even the Tory farmers and landowners hated her mainly as she took away ther ridiculas grants and subsidies, paid for by the taxpayer. Some of us who just wanted to earn what we worked for and keep as much ofthose earnings as possible liked her though!

The poem is neither in good or bad taste as far as i,m concerned, its just typical whingeing.

I think you will find that 4 million people who wanted jobs but were put out of work didn't think much of her. Many of these were Scots. Maybe you are counting these amongst your 'workshy'.
Did she have a more positive view of the Scots than she did of the Irish.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10001423/Lady-Thatcher-warned-the-Irish-are-all-liars-says-Lord-Mandelson.html
I rather think that she regarded anyone who wasn't English to be damn foreigners.
But don't let that bother you as she was generally much more liked by foreigners.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

CPPhoto is off-line
18 April 2013 06:36
CPPhoto
Photographer
CPPhoto
West Midlands
West Bromwich/Birmingham

Quote from carshaltonkev
There was no need for it. Of the Prime Ministers who have deceased only Churchill has had a similar funeral. And winning World War 2 was somewhat more significant than winning the Falklands War.

And the war on the home front...

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment chosin pinklilly YolandeLee001
Blancho bninja duncanjames jackw john_at_tina_spice liteangle oro redtail RenedeHaan shadowtime74 steveh32
harbourstudio