Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 April 2013 13:56
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Marty_W
Again laughable! Why do these companies think they can evade tax when its competitors don't? Vodaphone get away with owing est 6 billion when other companies pay their dues.

They don't think, they know, in fact they have entire legal/accountancy teams dedicated to this very cause.  As I said... they set up their registered offices overseas in order to LEGALLY avoid paying UK tax.  I said in my post above that it is indeed a shady practice but it is not illegal, it is simply an unfortunate side effect of free markets.  I'm sure there will be companies based here who do the same to other EU countries and the people there may well feel equally aggreived.

Consider the alternative though... we'd have to buy all of our stuff from UK based shops/suppliers who not only will have lower buying power but will also have to pay all of the taxes at UK rates.  Ultimately who do you think will end up footing the bill for that?  It sure as hell won't come out of their profit margins.  At least this way you have a choice, nobody is forcing you to buy from them and if you so choose you can pay extra to support British companies and workers.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 April 2013 05:03
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from RedChecker
Oh I do apologise. 

I simply assumed that while some of my friends were out all day on their (relatively uncomfortable) motorbikes in the cold, wind and rain that their disability wouldn't hinder them from doing a day's work for once in their lives rather than sponge off the state.

Must be brilliant having a 'friend' like you who disparages them in public forums.
Maybe you should take some personal responsibility for these 'scroungers' rather than expecting the government to persecute all disabled people because you have such delinquent 'friends'.
Don't you think it (at best) two-faced. I could not call anyone I had so little respect for, a friend.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

stevet is off-line
17 April 2013 08:15
stevet
Photographer
stevet
South Yorkshire
rotherham

whatever your politics is it right that when services are being cut that 10 million pounds of public money should be spent on maggies funeral former primeminister or not no way should the public pay for her funeral.

how many hospice s /hostpitals could make good use of ten million pounds

17 April 2013 08:23
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from stevet
whatever your politics is it right that when services are being cut that 10 million pounds of public money should be spent on maggies funeral former primeminister or not no way should the public pay for her funeral.

Firstly all goverment departments have their money ringfenced to a degree so this would come out of another pot and not affect anything.

Secondly there is far more wastage on a local level on failed schemes, overpaid consultancy, staff theft, false sick pay claims etc. within each of those pots.

Thirdly there was a breakdown of funeral costs published a day or two ago and £2million was coming from her estate/family.  IIRC Another £3-4 million was from some parlimentary fund and only the rest (£3-4 million again) was strictly 'public' money but if there wasn't the threat of scumbags making a song & dance then that figure would have been so much less.

And besides, those opposed to Maggie never seemed to care about the cost to the country regarding policing of strikes and the costs incurred by others due to the strikes so why such a fuss now?
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
17 April 2013 09:01
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

Quote from stevet

"Obesity was costing the NHS £4 billion a year, with this expected to reach £6.3 billion by 2015"
http://fullfact.org/factchecks/NHS_reforms_David_Cameron_speech_obesity_costs_foresight_Department_of_Health-2732

If all the fatties ate 1 less bar of chocolate per week we would save more than ten million... it's an insignificant amount on the NHS budget.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

17 April 2013 09:55
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Hugh
"Obesity was costing the NHS £4 billion a year, with this expected to reach £6.3 billion by 2015" http://fullfact.org/factchecks/NHS_reforms_David_Cameron_speech_obesity_costs_foresight_Department_of_Health-2732 If all the fatties ate 1 less bar of chocolate per week we would save more than ten million... it's an insignificant amount on the NHS budget.

Not to mention savings made from policing and NHS if RedChecker is a naughty person heads didn't exist on a friday & saturday night, savings from NHS if people stopped buying fags savings made from policing if we didn't have football yobs etc. etc.

Colin H is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2013 10:02
thelook
Photographer
thelook
Berkshire

Quote from stevephot
Tony thats a terrible argument..

how about being more sensible:

couple late 40's Managers 4 bedroomed detached house 2 cars in drveway living take home pay combined £77K

Young Couple 1 bed flat, 1 car parked on the street combined wage of £22K

Pay the same for Poll Tax.

Now is that fair?

There was a reason the Poll Tax was dropped and the Council tax (the replacement)  had banding.

They pay the same for Petrol, Food, Beer etc etc......
When the world whispers 'give up, a fool will say 'I'll give it one more try'.....

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
17 April 2013 17:19
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

This was sent to me from a fellow Scot, some members may enjoy it.

A Poem for the Death of Thatcher

When Thatcher dies, I’ll close my eyes and take some time to send,
a thought on how she lived her life and how she met her end.
I’ll offer up to lifeless skies a final contemplation,
of one who crucified a land through mad determination.
I’ve waited for this news so long, my patience has been tried.
But now the day and hour has come: she’s dead and I’m alive.
I’ve waited years for happy news of final destination.
The single trip of one who ruled with spite and desperation.
I hope she likes her lonely boat to where the fallen dwell.
I hope the hinges do not squeak when close the gates of Hell.
I know it will be warm down there, for Satan has his pride.
He lights an incandescent flame, for friends of his who’ve died.
He likes to keep the fires stoked and burning night and day.
His daemons work with strength and zest to keep the cold at bay.
They love their job; they toil with glee, down in the constant gloom.
They’ll make sure Margaret doesn’t chill when cloistered in her tomb.
She’ll have the warmth to ponder long on all her schemes and lies.
The daemons never dim the flames, for they weren’t privatised.
So farewell Iron Lady now: your memories are black.
The Gates of Hades firmly shut: the Devil wants you back.
The Hounds of Hell are on their mark: they’re restless for a run.
They haven’t fed since Reagan came: they’re pining for the gun.
With luck a creeping fear will call, and chill your very soul.
A dread like those you sent abroad when killing steel and coal.
So taste the air that Satan shares, and peer into the gloom.
The dogs of war are on your scent: they’ll rush you to your doom.
Don’t try to leave, for this is home: don’t try to dodge or run.
The pups are only passing shades of cruelties you’ve done.
The viciousness deep in your heart: the well of poisoned thoughts.
They came with you as company for Lucifer’s dark sports.
I’d like to offer you some hope, some dream of charity.
Some recompense for how you looked on our society.
Oh dear, it seems you haven’t much writ down that stands for good.
You weren’t as nice, when Tory boss as fate says that you should.
An iron heel, on iron boot: an iron will so strong.
A people longing for some hope ‘gainst punishments so long.
But kindness wasn’t in your heart: you lusted for the fight.
You swept away all that was good, and turned our day to night.
So fiendish canines, do your work: I hope your teeth are keen.
Give her the quarter she gave us: and nothing in between.
So snap and grind and yelp and bawl and bite and tear and munch.
We veterans of Thatcher’s fight are sure you’ll like your lunch.
She gave us greed and selfishness: she taught us wrong was right.
She gave us generations new, who didn’t give a light.
But that is gone. Your dreams are done: regained our will to think.
The Reaper’s polished off his work: from him you could not shrink.
I hope he smiled when you breathed last, I hope his scythe was slow.
I hope you cried, when in his eyes you saw where you would go.
One final laugh, one final sound, his striking blade does peal.
Farewell from all of us you scorned: it’s forged from Scottish steel.
CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

" Hibby " is off-line
17 April 2013 18:18
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

"This was sent to me from a fellow Scot, some members may enjoy it."

And some may think it is pathetic and in bad taste.
"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

Anthonygh is off-line
17 April 2013 18:48
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Some may love her but history will show she was a destructive force and the most divisive UK political leader in the modern era..indeed....her legacy is still here and the nation, despite the passage of time, is still divided because of her.

Of course that is my opinion...I am merely suggesting history will support me. She may have changed the UK for ever...but Hitler managed something similar for Germany (and the world as it happens)...so hardly a recommendation.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42