Tony Stephenson is off-line
14 April 2013 07:35
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from christopher_ball
Disability can be a 'hidden disability' and may not be physical nor noticeable to an observer with no medical knowledge. On fraud - take the now gone Disability Living Allowance - it had a fraud rate below 1%. Despite what is being put out in the press by Iain Duncan Smith and Esther McVey - it was not an easy benefit to claim. It was also paid to people in work as well as out of work - it recognised that disabled people have extra costs to face. Disabled people are also often denied access to places - or made to go around the houses to access a lift well away from where non-disabled (or in truth 'future disabled' can freely gain access. There is much in the press that is feeding a rise in hate crime towards people with disabilities. There is an inherent need to abject disabled people. This is often amplified in times of hardship where scapegoats are sought and often supplied by Governments. Disability hate crime has indeed increased - in part due to misinformation put out by Government in an attempt to drive through policy. It is dangerous and often lacking in basic truth. I have taken a side step away from much of my photography and/or am using the skills I have to develop projects, to campaign against Government's dangerous disability policy. Disability benefit fraud is very low indeed - yet this government, despite there having been no assessment yet, plan to cut at least 20% - if fraud is low then this translates to disabled people being denied that which they would have been entitled to - money needed to live. There is a lot of dangerous misinformation being put out by Government ministers who should know better - especially if they have read history. I ask everybody here not to fall into the trap and remember that with the perceived 'benefit' comes the disability. I ask that people with no medical experience don't attempt a diagnosis.

My partner's sister is registered as being almost blind but it doesn't prevent her from holding down a full time job as a solicitor in the metropolis that is London or managing to use public transport to get around- she studied hard at school and university and achieved everything through hard work and didn't let her disability hold her back.

Of course, as a caring society we should help the genuinely disabled but if they can do a job, then they should be encouraged to do so, just as we should those who are perfectly fit and healthy and those who are claiming disability benefits unfairly should be weeded out!

Since 1993, the number of disability claimants claiming DLA has risen from 1.1 million to 3.24million with 71% having been awarded DLA for life and the annual bill is now £13 billion! These figures would suggest that the population is either getting progressively sicker or too many are now claiming and being awarded DLA. There are now over 21,000 registered junkies and alcoholics receiving DLA.
I find it curious that the majority of DLA claimants rose by up to a factor of three during New Labour's period in office!

The hard working majority of this country aren't stupid or anti-disability or hate criminals...they just know from their own experiences that a proportion of DLA claimants are freeloaders who are in fact detracting from and taking away funds for the needs of the genuine disabled!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
14 April 2013 07:36
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from tonycsm

The hard working majority of this country aren't stupid or anti-disability or hate criminals...they just know from their own experiences that a proportion of DLA claimants are freeloaders who are in fact detracting from and taking away funds for the needs of the genuine disabled!

^ This
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Christopher John Ball is off-lineSilver Member
14 April 2013 09:34
christopher_ball
Photographer

London
london

Quote from RedChecker
^ This

Try reading this book and then get back to me http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scapegoat-Why-Failing-Disabled-People/dp/1846273218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365946290&sr=8-1&keywords=scapegoat+why+we+are+failing+disabled+people

remember - disability can happen to anyone, it doesn't respect your politics, it doesn't care that you voted Labour, LibDem, Conservative, UKIP etc - it isn't interested and shows no one any favours. As we get older we all become more prone to its visitation.

14 April 2013 09:38
christopher_ball
Photographer

London
london

Quote from tonycsm
My partner's sister is registered as being almost blind but it doesn't prevent her from holding down a full time job as a solicitor in the metropolis that is London or managing to use public transport to get around- she studied hard at school and university and achieved everything through hard work and didn't let her disability hold her back.

Of course, as a caring society we should help the genuinely disabled but if they can do a job, then they should be encouraged to do so, just as we should those who are perfectly fit and healthy and those who are claiming disability benefits unfairly should be weeded out!

Since 1993, the number of disability claimants claiming DLA has risen from 1.1 million to 3.24million with 71% having been awarded DLA for life and the annual bill is now £13 billion! These figures would suggest that the population is either getting progressively sicker or too many are now claiming and being awarded DLA. There are now over 21,000 registered junkies and alcoholics receiving DLA.

I find it curious that the majority of DLA claimants rose by up to a factor of three during New Labour's period in office!

Look deeper into the figures Tony - I have, don't swallow all that Iain Duncan Smith puts out. I also said nothing about disability and work. I was simply asking that people rethink some of their attitudes as that directly translates into hate crime. I experience it daily and it is increasing - it is also changing tone. That is all I asked - those who refuse to rethink are as guilty as those who carry out the attacks. I will leave it there.

14 April 2013 09:49
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Try reading this book and then get back to me http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scapegoat-Why-Failing-Disabled-People/dp/1846273218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365946290&sr=8-1&keywords=scapegoat+why+we+are+failing+disabled+people remember - disability can happen to anyone, it doesn't respect your politics, it doesn't care that you voted Labour, LibDem, Conservative, UKIP etc - it isn't interested and shows no one any favours. As we get older we all become more prone to its visitation.

I know a lazy when I see one and some of my friends are no exception, whether they are disabled or not, and no matter what you say will convince me otherwise - I know these people personally remember, YOU do not, so how you can possibly judge both me and them is quite amazing.  Firstly you are assuming I am against disabled people, I am not, I am however against theiving scum who abuse the system and secondly you are assuming they are fully entitled to that benefit money, which IMO is incredibly naive and it's no wonder the system is being milked if that is also the attitude of people put in place to ensure abuse doesn't happen.

The fact they (as able people who should be working) can enjoy a good life on these benefits tells me two things-

1 - my taxes aren't going to the right people.
2 - you're bloody stupid for sticking up for them.

Again, I re-iterate, I know them personally and can assure you they're your stereotypical scroungers who'd rather sponge than do a hard day's work (admittedly they'll do some cash-in-hand stuff for mates).  I'm sorry if this offends you but that's what they are and I'm not going to change my attitude towards them simply because someone feels they should be mollycoddled because of some medical review that appears to have been both overexaggerated, not reviewed and made a mockery of.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

14 April 2013 09:53
christopher_ball
Photographer

London
london

Quote from RedChecker
I know a lazy when I see one and some of my friends are no exception, whether they are disabled or not, and no matter what you say will convince me otherwise - I know these people personally remember, YOU do not, so how you can possibly judge both me and them is quite amazing.  Firstly you are assuming I am against disabled people, I am not, I am however against theiving scum who abuse the system and secondly you are assuming they are fully entitled to that benefit money, which IMO is incredibly naive and it's no wonder the system is being milked if that is also the attitude of people put in place to ensure abuse doesn't happen.

The fact they (as able people who should be working) can enjoy a good life on these benefits tells me two things-

Again, I re-iterate, I know them personally and can assure you they're your stereotypical scroungers who'd rather sponge than do a hard day's work (admittedly they'll do some cash-in-hand stuff for mates).  I'm sorry if this offends you but that's what they are and I'm not going to change my attitude towards them simply because someone feels they should be mollycoddled because of some medical review that appears to have been both overexaggerated, not reviewed and made a mockery of.

Stay as you are - I tried, but it seems that I wasted my time - I am done with you. Good day.

14 April 2013 10:17
Marty_W
Photographer

Quote from RedChecker

Your arguments on here are laughable. Against thieving scum? What's your opinion on Amazon,
Starbucks, google, Vodafone?
Also a great Tory move giving the rich a tax cut, that means the bankers that helped cause
this mess to get a tax cut. A fine reward for thieving scum?
What about the politicians that cheated their tax expenses? Didn't I read somewhere Thatch
claimed half a mill?
What do I know I'm leftie scum apparently.

14 April 2013 11:22
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from Marty_W
Your arguments on here are laughable. Against thieving scum? What's your opinion on Amazon,

Starbucks, google, Vodafone?

While somewhat morally distasteful, their businesses are legitimate. There's nothing illegal about having your registered head office in another country where you'll pay a lower rate of tax, without this we would not have such free and open trade and as such would all be paying far higher prices across the board.

Lying to claim benefits that you really shouldn't be entitled is illegal, and in the case of one of my friends so is sub-letting his flat and doing the odd bit of cash-in-hand work for his mates.

Tony Stephenson is off-line
14 April 2013 13:20
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Look deeper into the figures Tony - I have, don't swallow all that Iain Duncan Smith puts out. I also said nothing about disability and work. I was simply asking that people rethink some of their attitudes as that directly translates into hate crime. I experience it daily and it is increasing - it is also changing tone. That is all I asked - those who refuse to rethink are as guilty as those who carry out the attacks. I will leave it there.

Christopher, no one could be more against idiots that attack people such as yourself out of blind stupidity than I am - these people are very similar to those who have deep seated racial or minority hatred views.
I agree that there will be a minority of individuals who just don't understand or comprehend the nature of 'hidden or unseen disabilities' and see anyone who doesn't appear to have anything physically wrong with them as a sponger and freeloader but I think the majority of reasoned people, are far less judgemental and far more sympathetic than you might appreciate.

Over the years I've known several people with genuine disabilities and appreciate just  how difficult life can be for them but I've also known several who have played the system with virtually nothing wrong with them ( with evidence to prove it) other than they preferred the state to keep them rather than go out and find work.

It's the latter whom I am against as I'm sure are the majority of right thinking people - it's those lazy people who are  spoiling it for the genuine DLA claimants which is creating the problems, no doubt stirred up by the acid tongued press! Public finances are very limited right now and I would prefer to see those funds set aside for DLA to go to genuine claimants and not freeloaders.

I also apprecaite that you will see disability from the other side but unfortunately not all DLA claimnants are perhaps genuine like yourself and unfortunately, until the scroungers are weeded out, people like yourself will wrongly face the abuse by the idiots you clearly have experienced which is a sad endightment of our society!

www.le-femme.co.uk

14 April 2013 13:21
Marty_W
Photographer

Quote from RedChecker

While somewhat morally distasteful, their businesses are legitimate. There's nothing illegal about having your registered head office in another country where you'll pay a lower rate of tax, without this we would not have such free and open trade and as such would all be paying far higher prices across the board.

Lying to claim benefits that you really shouldn't be entitled is illegal, and in the case of one of my friends so is sub-letting his flat and doing the odd bit of cash-in-hand work for his mates.

Again laughable! Why do these companies think they can evade tax when its competitors
don't? Vodaphone get away with owing est 6 billion when other companies pay their dues.

45 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray fashion29 Jessicaliu1993 Lusciousabi29 RISelene rob452 Roose speed84
android_man antoinewynn boss1968 cliffc copperbronze cygnet Dave@studio99 david1500 djb1 Don_Dark donaldmac eosfan flawless_photo glamorphotos gshocker30 Impulse_Images JPV just_lez Kjoservices MauricesImagery MIB michaelangelo mlp modelboutique natkins noggy1930 philsmg Photojames43 redbaron Richard99 rscott360 RUPERT siclews sirspread stevegosh steveh32 westend_portfolios