Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 11:26
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from skymouse
I'm very sorry not only for repeating like a stuck record what I've said before but also for saying something that may sound objectionable.

But to sell art the first (and required) step — uless you're a celebrity — is to stop thinking about yourself as an artist seeking an outlet for whatever your self-expression urges you to produce, and instead investigate the desires of the customer and work out how you can serve that. If you make just that one shift in thinking, then you'll already be head and shoulders above most.

Yeah I agree I am exploring what customers want by seeing what sells. What seems to be popular (and what I enjoy doing) is post impressionism. So trying that out. I used to do realism but that market of art is just dying slowly and is moving more onto abstraction.

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 11:27
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from stefanschiefer
Where can we find/see the art ourselves? I would love to have a look

Cheers

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PaleBlueUnicorn Here you go!

JackR is off-line
08 April 2013 11:38
Jack_Russell
Photographer
Jack_Russell
West Midlands
Burntwood

You have a sale - I love your fox painting. What an amazing talent you have. X

HowardJ is off-line
08 April 2013 11:40
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Quote from angelique110

Yeah I have- no luck really
Could try again. I didn't get any views so I think it must have been to do with bad SEO plus it's £1.40 to list an item for 12 days which isn't great tbh..

Have you tried waiting for a zero listing fee period?

They seem to run one every few weeks.

Stick in the correct category and go with a low price.

There does seem to a market but it depends what your work is like or you could produce for the market that already exists.

08 April 2013 11:45
bravepioneer
Photographer

Got a friend here in London, one of the great art capitals of the world. Shes in her early 30's, studied art, she networks like crazy. Has about three or four gallery shows a year (and that's proper commercial galleries, not the local library).

Her paintings go for a couple of grand a pop. She sells about 2 a year. Her boyfriend has a good job.

Good luck!

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
08 April 2013 11:53
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from angelique110
I am exploring what customers want by seeing what sells. What seems to be popular (and what I enjoy doing) is post impressionism. So trying that out. I used to do realism but that market of art is just dying slowly and is moving more onto abstraction.

Excellent — by the sounds of it you've already taken some key initiatives. cheeky I hope it works out well; please keep us updated.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
08 April 2013 12:22
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

You're in a very competitive market at the moment, thousands of students who have trained and honed their skills are tying, like you, to eke out a living. Keep it up though you have a good style with the post impressionism and I would have thought there were enough shops in the Brighton area to at least take some of your work on s.o.r basis.
It was broken when I got here

Salacious Art is off-line
08 April 2013 13:24
pentax5AC
Photographer

East Yorkshire
Bridlington

Hi A,
As a fellow artist, you will appreciate that all art by definition remains a matter of aesthetics and taste.

Unfortunately however, commercial success within the gallery system remains underpinned by an elitist, well educated, but commercially driven group of critics and dealers, who; although they have never applied a single brush to canvas in their lives, dictate what is "fashionable and commercially viable"
The secret is, don't chase it, leave them to it and paint instead what you want to paint and what gives you the greatest pleasure. Remember nothing in art is new; the avant garde just like to shock and pretend that it is, and when the shock element has worn thin, most people really (even today) prefer to hang something on their walls to provide them with pleasure.
I make a decent living out of selling pin-ups, a throw back to the 1950s and some people's understandable yearn for days gone and nostalgia.
Someone,somewhere will want and like what you paint too. Plug it, display it, advertise and keep pushing it...but ABOVE ALL ENJOY IT!!

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
08 April 2013 15:21
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

I really like your work, I love your bold use of colours!!

My advice, if i'm honest is that your actually selling your work at a very low price. Whether you're in it for the money or the love of what you do, I believe your price point is too low. You can't be making much profit selling them at the price you have set.

Just like when someone is looking for a photographer, when you see someone who charges £10 an hour vs a photographer who charges £95 an hour; you are more likely to push toward the one who charges £95 due to perceived value.

It's better to sell one piece for £100 than have to try and and sell 10 at £10. Plus at £100 each, they become more valuable rather than a disposable print.

By pricing your items higher, you automatically get rid of the time wasters and only the people who are truly interested will contact/take the time to look.

I hope this makes sense and helps in some way

Stefan

p.s. and if someone wants something, they will pay for it no matter what the price. A love that we feel for a piece of art is priceless! I recently paid £250 for a sewing sampler for my GF. To her it is an extremely valuable piece of work, whereas to others its worthless.

w4pictures is off-line
08 April 2013 16:38
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

I really like your work too. Particularly the cityscapes. I also think you are pricing too low. Maybe go for a much higher price for a limited edition run.

Try www.fineartamerica.com as another home for your work. As well as a great source of art, its an inspiration.

15 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Hann Michelledefeo1 samanthajane4 Yenguo
aprilscherz3 davemac grahamsphotography iestyn JimPow MauricesImagery Peter_d_photography Platidonio rscott360 severndigital xposed