Selling art..

Angel3 is off-lineSilver Member
07 April 2013 20:16
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Something that has been getting me very down recently is not being able to sell my art.
I make prints of my work and no one (or very few people) buys them, put it in galleries, tried to put it on websites.
Has anyone ever sold art and if so what are some tips??
I know it has a little bit to do with the recession, art is a luxury blah blah blah however I have observed some people selling art and doing so successfully, so what am I doing wrong?
I aim at a fairly modern market with my art and it's bright and vibrant so I assume that the art itself isn't the issue.
I use all social websites, have business cards. Everything. I have my own website too.
Help? I think I'm going insane.

HowardJ is off-line
08 April 2013 02:39
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

have you tried selling through eBay?

David Kirk is off-line
08 April 2013 03:42
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

Have you tried local art fairs? Depending on the location, they can be quite good for generating sales. Or at least raising your profile.
Feel free to PM me any questions

Steve Walsh is off-line
08 April 2013 03:55
swalsh58
Photographer
swalsh58
Kent
St Mary's Bay

It depends on what your 'art' is. I dont mean to be rude but if it isnt what people want, or not up to standard they wont buy it. I dont know what your selling so cant make a comment on it, but people are not spending money on that sort of thing at the moment unless its good quality, with some exceptions..... If you troll through the Ebay section on photographs you will see that not many are selling......apart from one guy who is selling erotic nudes. He advertises them as 'busty nude' etc etc and offers them in various sizes at different cost, starting around £1.50 or so, and he is selling them too!
Try offering your stuff to local coffee shops, hairdressers to hang on the walls with a little card on them. If they sell offer the shop 10%. Try Ebay, but dont hold your breath. Some places have shops which sell work on commision, that may be worth a go. To generate interest, you have to advertise, so get your name out there. Local press, Twitter, Facebook business page, websites, links etc etc

Stefan Schiefer is off-line
08 April 2013 04:10
stefanschiefer
Photographer

South Yorkshire

Where can we find/see the art ourselves? I would love to have a look

Cheers

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
08 April 2013 05:55
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

I'm very sorry not only for repeating like a stuck record what I've said before but also for saying something that may sound objectionable.

But to sell art the first (and required) step — uless you're a celebrity — is to stop thinking about yourself as an artist seeking an outlet for whatever your self-expression urges you to produce, and instead investigate the desires of the customer and work out how you can serve that. If you make just that one shift in thinking, then you'll already be head and shoulders above most.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

" Hibby " is off-line
08 April 2013 06:56
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
Highland
Inverness

Quote from skymouse

But to sell art the first (and required) step — uless you're a celebrity — is to stop thinking about yourself as an artist seeking an outlet for whatever your self-expression urges you to produce, and instead investigate the desires of the customer and work out how you can serve that. If you make just that one shift in thinking, then you'll already be head and shoulders above most.

That's an excellent point. Success in many if not all creative persuits is less about talent than sheer hard work, marketing, and finding/creating a niche market.

Times are VERY hard right now and the OP comment "I know it has a little bit to do with the recession, art is a luxury blah blah blah" is unfortunate in that it may be seen as suggesting that harsh realities don't/shouldn't apply.
"A technically perfect photograph can be the worlds most boring picture" Andreas Feininger

David Kirk is off-line
08 April 2013 07:51
DKirk
Photographer

Glasgow
Glasgow

Quote from skymouse

Indeed, quite true. However, I've noticed that you need to have a range of 'portfolios'. I've sold greater amounts of one style of photography to one customer profile, yet the same style gets poo-poo'd by another, and different customers buy different 'products'. Also what formats are you presenting your work in?

08 April 2013 12:24
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from HowardJ
have you tried selling through eBay?

Yeah I have- no luck really
Could try again. I didn't get any views so I think it must have been to do with bad SEO plus it's £1.40 to list an item for 12 days which isn't great tbh..

08 April 2013 12:25
angelique110
Model
angelique110
West Sussex
worthing

Quote from DKirk
Have you tried local art fairs? Depending on the location, they can be quite good for generating sales. Or at least raising your profile.
Feel free to PM me any questions

Yeah, not yet! One of my art teachers told me about one in Brighton so I shall definitely try that out Pming you as well

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Angeleyes777
Fluffypup Happysnappyj Rhadamanthus timwalton42 woody