This thread is being watched by 1 person
Paul is off-lineSilver Member
07 April 2013 05:27
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

One of the reasons retirement age is being pushed back is because people are living longer in the years since I was born (1960) life expectancy in the UK has grown by 10 years. 65% of the DWP budget goes to people over 65. It's known that by 2035 23% of the population will be over 65, in 1985 it was only 13% - by 2030 there will be 6 million people over the age of 80 - figures not even contemplated as recently as the mid 1980's. There is finally a long term plan being contemplated with regards to what we can afford financially, the social costs are another argument.

As an aside whilst I might not agree with their politics the Conservative budget that formed part of their 2010 election manifesto was the only one that made any financial sense, and I mean that from my day job as an accountant. Labour would simply carry on as all Labour governments do - borrow more and more of other people's money getting the country further and further into debt. You'll never hear a squeak from Labour about poverty on their watch, despite the fact that under successive Labour administrations (1997-2010) the rich got richer and the poor got poorer.
It was broken when I got here

Anthonygh is off-line
07 April 2013 06:49
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from DorsetHammer
One of the reasons retirement age is being pushed back is because people are living longer in the years since I was born (1960) life expectancy in the UK has grown by 10 years. 65% of the DWP budget goes to people over 65. It's known that by 2035 23% of the population will be over 65, in 1985 it was only 13% - by 2030 there will be 6 million people over the age of 80 - figures not even contemplated as recently as the mid 1980's. There is finally a long term plan being contemplated with regards to what we can afford financially, the social costs are another argument. As an aside whilst I might not agree with their politics the Conservative budget that formed part of their 2010 election manifesto was the only one that made any financial sense, and I mean that from my day job as an accountant. Labour would simply carry on as all Labour governments do - borrow more and more of other people's money getting the country further and further into debt. You'll never hear a squeak from Labour about poverty on their watch, despite the fact that under successive Labour administrations (1997-2010) the rich got richer and the poor got poorer.

Then as an accountant I would suggest your brownie points fot the govt are misplaced........there is barely an economist of any prominence that has not found Osborn's economic policy to be incomprehensable.....a Nobel economist recently came close to calling him a fool on TV, with less than a schoolboys grasp of basic economics. Virtually every policy he has come up with falls apart when it is deconstructed......so much so that he can't even defend the analysis so switches to repeating his political mantra. Supported by his chum Cameron.

Much like Thatcher did before him..Tories love to look back on her govt as a 'golden age' for the UK economy.......the only reason it survived was ...the City.....N S Oli...and the massive selling off of publicly owned assets....a policy that ensured the means of production largely came to be owned by wealthy individuals and foreign companies....these same individuals and companies that are syphoning wealth out of the UK economy.

Hence the govt's focus on penioners, benefit claiments and so on...diversionary tactics to ensure the average voter isn't concentrating on the real problem......our broken political system.

07 April 2013 09:22
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

With respect economists, especially Nobel winning economists have no obligation to anybody involved in the democratic process. Just as Frank Sinatra once described critics as the people who went in at the end of a battle and shot the wounded so economists can spout forth opinions with impunity, knowing they don't have any responsibility. A little basic research shows there are actually as many supporting Osborne as there are calling him a clown.

Andy_B is off-lineSilver Member
07 April 2013 09:46
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
London
London

Quote from anthonyh
I would suggest from my daughter's experience that a CV has zero value if it doesn't include an email address and a phone number. Therefore to not have these facilities could lead the Job Centre to argue one isn't seriously looking for work...so not entitled to JSA and any related benefits.

It's easy to get a mobile phone for a fiver, and a pay as you go card for the same amount. No charge for incoming calls - job done.

You can access your hotmail/yahoo/gmail from the library - job done. 

Why would the taxpayer have to pay for your daughter to have a smartphone/iMac/broadband etc. when telephony and email are ubiqutous and very low cost?

The government should be providing a safety net, not luxuries.

Anthonygh is off-line
08 April 2013 10:04
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from Andy_B
It's easy to get a mobile phone for a fiver, and a pay as you go card for the same amount. No charge for incoming calls - job done.

You can access your hotmail/yahoo/gmail from the library - job done. 

Why would the taxpayer have to pay for your daughter to have a smartphone/iMac/broadband etc. when telephony and email are ubiqutous and very low cost?

The government should be providing a safety net, not luxuries.

My daughter has just bought the new Sony Experia Z so she likes her luxuries...which is why she is (a) giving me her old iPhone and (b) looking for a better paid job....hence the C.V. writing.

As for accessing email at the library...I'm not sure where you live...but the last time I was at mine and wanted to do a quick bit of surfing the first free slot was the following morning.

Anthonygh is off-line
08 April 2013 10:07
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from DorsetHammer
With respect economists, especially Nobel winning economists have no obligation to anybody involved in the democratic process. Just as Frank Sinatra once described critics as the people who went in at the end of a battle and shot the wounded so economists can spout forth opinions with impunity, knowing they don't have any responsibility. A little basic research shows there are actually as many supporting Osborne as there are calling him a clown.

Can you provide a few links then? To economists supporting Osborne...it would be interesting to see what they are saying after nearly three years of incompetence in the post.

EdT is off-line
08 April 2013 10:28
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from anthonyh
If the situation is so dire how has it happened that one of the richest nations on earth has one of the lowest state pension in the EU...and the govt is able to reduce the lengh of time people contribute to 30 yrs and raise the full entitlement they will receive at the same time?

I've read this 5 times and I'm still not sure what you're saying.

"If the situation is so dire how has it happened that one of the richest nations on earth has one of the lowest state pension in the EU", maybe it's because the situation is so dire that the state pension is so low. How can we be one of the richest nations on earth if the nation as a whole and most of it's inhabitants are deeply in debt?

"and the govt is able to reduce the lengh of time people contribute to 30 yrs" I was under the impression that to qualify for the new increased pension is increasing from 30 years to 35 years, not decreasing.

Or are you talking about another nation?

mitch69 is off-linePlatinum Member
08 April 2013 10:48
mitch69
Photographer
mitch69
Derbyshire
swadlincote

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
Fuel is Gas and Electricity.  £10p week on gas and £10 per week electricity = £20 per week or £40 per fortnight.

So please tell me how there is a £19 per shortfall.

Water rates and TV licence are paid for from the £15.

Water rates and TV licence are paid for from the £15, or if this is not enough amend the food list to £25 and increase the consumable's budget. 

You can tell the phone/ broadband provider etc that you are cancelling and why.  Also demand that the electricity/ gas company put in a pre paid meter.  Cancel the DD at the bank and write to them and tell them that you will pay them in due course, one you have a job. 

This will hurt your credit rating, but that is the least of your issues at this point.  Since the phone calls from collection agents will be un answered as the phone is cut off it is a long term problem.

Phone, Car, Broadband etc are luxuaries that you do not actually need,  They are for people who can afford them. 

There are alternatives as I said, prepay mobile pay in £20 per fornight and only use for looking for work or emergencies.  Internet can be accessed via the Library.  Most Library's have access to computers for email and internet.

*****************Is bloody difficult but possible.

IT ISNT POSSIBLE TRY LIVING IN THE REAL WORLD!    "phone,car broadband etc are luxuries for people who can afford them"  What about having them as you CAN afford them then the employment rug is pulled from underneath you they still NEED paying one way or another or you go under with debt, and amend the food budget to £25 for a fortnight ?? lol , and am guessing its not a situation you have been in as you wouldnt be so condesending and also would know £10 per fortnight gas is rediculous you need more than that a week in cold weather , OH wait sorry you want people to wear 50 layers of clothes and stay in bed to keep warm!
 I did my time in the forces and worked bloody hard all my life and paid hell of alot of TAX and NI so when I found myself in the benefits system I didn't see it as scrounging and certainly couldn't last on what they gave me! I TRIED....................................HAVE YOU???????????
Images capture the imagination but imagination captures the image!

08 April 2013 10:52
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from anthonyh
Can you provide a few links then? To economists supporting Osborne...it would be interesting to see what they are saying after nearly three years of incompetence in the post.

Try Olli Rehn - he still supports Osborne. 

diipii is off-line
14 April 2013 15:30
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

It's not for you to live on.
It only happens all the time.

24 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray catherinewilliams Charley1986 ElleLaura fionajane
azurphotos bbphotos Blancho dorrian edb ignite jas Kjoservices Mike103 Oberonfoto Peterashuk philippahh prestigephil stevegosh steveh32 Steveharratt tms
grailmodels
harbourstudio