Reminder Secure

Can you live on £53 a week?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Anthonygh is off-line
06 April 2013 07:45
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Irrespective of how some people do the maths...if an organization (call it the UK state) says if you pay in £X for XXX period of time we will pay you £Y for another defined period of time (your retirement)....one doesn't expect the organization to try and redefine that arrangement into being some kind of 'gift'.

If the maths don't add up the state needs to start another arrangement for new entrants...or possibly get out of that business altogether.

The maths must add up to someone as the govt has recently decreased the length of qualifying period for a full state pension to 30 yrs and increased the amount to be paid out once retired...presumably at the expense of someone like me who will retire a little before the new arrangement but having paid NICs since the 70s.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
06 April 2013 08:25
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from mitch69
IMPOSSIBLE  with the figures you have given !

£53=£106 per fortnight
minus £40 fuel on payday
           £10 gas
           £10 electric
           £20 phone     
                                     £60 will cover essentials for fortnight (Well thats £80 already)
           £30 food
           £15 Toiletries/cosmetics
TOTAL £125 from £106 Benefit leaves £19 shortfall already !

Fuel is Gas and Electricity.  £10p week on gas and £10 per week electricity = £20 per week or £40 per fortnight.

So please tell me how there is a £19 per shortfall.

Water rates and TV licence are paid for from the £15.

Quote from mitch69

Thats without water rates , TV licence etc and not taking into account contracts  may have had before went on benefits , cant tell phone/broadband provider etc that your cancelling contract due to being laid off !

Water rates and TV licence are paid for from the £15, or if this is not enough amend the food list to £25 and increase the consumable's budget. 

You can tell the phone/ broadband provider etc that you are cancelling and why.  Also demand that the electricity/ gas company put in a pre paid meter.  Cancel the DD at the bank and write to them and tell them that you will pay them in due course, one you have a job. 

This will hurt your credit rating, but that is the least of your issues at this point.  Since the phone calls from collection agents will be un answered as the phone is cut off it is a long term problem.

Phone, Car, Broadband etc are luxuaries that you do not actually need,  They are for people who can afford them. 

There are alternatives as I said, prepay mobile pay in £20 per fornight and only use for looking for work or emergencies.  Internet can be accessed via the Library.  Most Library's have access to computers for email and internet.

Is bloody difficult but possible.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
06 April 2013 08:31
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from anthonyh

If the maths don't add up the state needs to start another arrangement for new entrants...or possibly get out of that business altogether.

Agreed. Unfortunately we currently have the lowest number of people contributing to private pension schemes since records began in 1953. Over 3 million people have dropped out of private pension schemes in the last decade, we also have the lowest level of private savings since the record highs of the Conservative government between 1979 and 1997, savings during the Labour years were the lowest since records began . 

It was broken when I got here

06 April 2013 08:42
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from anthonyh
Maybe I should have said frail late middle age.....she is younger than me but looks much older and was working as a classroom assistant in a school until it was closed a few years back.

Yes she screwed then.

If she is ill and gets disibility living allowance etc then suggest that she apply's to her local authority for a Discretionary Housing Payment.  She should also approach the housing department that supplies her home.  They usually have a tenancy support team who can help with a move if this is needed.  Unfortunatly unless she can pay the difference she will be required to get a smaller house.

Unfortunatly when there is change then people will always be hurt.

However that is the cost of the biggest financial balls up in history.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

06 April 2013 08:43
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from DorsetHammer
Agreed. Unfortunately we currently have the lowest number of people contributing to private pension schemes since records began in 1953. Over 3 million people have dropped out of private pension schemes in the last decade, we also have the lowest level of private savings since the record highs of the Conservative government between 1979 and 1997, savings during the Labour years were the lowest since records began . 

This is the issue.

Labour changed the whole eithic from save to borrow and spend.

I fell foul of this and had huge debts.  

I have paid them off through working two jobs and living a frugal lifestyle.

Now if I want something I save for it, I pay extra pension contributions.

It is not much fun.   

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
06 April 2013 09:09
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from anthonyh

The maths must add up to someone as the govt has recently decreased the length of qualifying period for a full state pension to 30 yrs and increased the amount to be paid out once retired...presumably at the expense of someone like me who will retire a little before the new arrangement but having paid NICs since the 70s.

The maths haven't added up since 1951 that was when the basis of national insurance contributions had to be changed. You'll find people of a certain age going on about paying their stamp - even that originates from before 1951! The 'maths' of contributions = benefits don't add up today, they never have and never will, not enough people are in work earning enough at any one time - that's why pensions are deferred.

The welfare state is slowly fading, we cannot afford it. The current government inherited a record deficit which they have to reduce, the last Government through a sustained period of profligacy allowed benefits to reach record levels, it cannot continue.

It was broken when I got here

Peter is off-line
06 April 2013 13:38
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
You can tell the phone/ broadband provider etc that you are cancelling and why.  Also demand that the electricity/ gas company put in a pre paid meter.  Cancel the DD at the bank and write to them and tell them that you will pay them in due course, one you have a job. 

This will hurt your credit rating, but that is the least of your issues at this point.  Since the phone calls from collection agents will be un answered as the phone is cut off it is a long term problem.

Are you really that ignorant?
If you did wht you suggest the contract isuers will sell your outstanding debt (the remainder of your contract period x monthly payments.. contracts now are u pto 24 months so that is potentially a lot of debt) to a collections agency who will come knocking to demand payment and will not "hurt" your credit they will destroy it for many years so that you cant even get utilities contracts anymore!
Also despite claims to the contrary and even rules against it... pre-paid meters are FAR more expensive per unit. as they are on the least pleasant tarrif available. I had to get the damned things removed from the house I currently rent because heating for just a few of hours burned up the £5 I put on it! All they do is allow you to directly cap your spend by having your gas and electricity suddenly shut off leaving your freezer defrosting, anything in the fridge to go off, no hot water to wash/shower in and house unheated. The emergency credit just buys you more time but you wind up living out of that and never getting back into credit because you are that damned poor.

06 April 2013 14:41
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from peterbuchanphoto
Are you really that ignorant?

No Mr Buchan I am merely pointing out how I have survived between jobs and how friends of mine survive today on Job Seekers Allowance.

If you did wht you suggest the contract isuers will sell your outstanding debt (the remainder of your contract period x monthly payments.. contracts now are u pto 24 months so that is potentially a lot of debt) to a collections agency who will come knocking to demand payment and will not "hurt" your credit they will destroy it for many years so that you cant even get utilities contracts anymore!

Well no pinkbuildingphotography is a naughty person sherlock.

The contract companies are going to try and take payment.  The Direct Debits are going to fail.  Your Bank is going to charge you costs.  The Banks won that particular court case.

The companies are then going to try again a number of times.  This will lead to more costs.  You will exceed your overdraft limit.  Thus the Bank will keep your Job Seekers Allowance.  Thus you do not have your £53 per week. 

Realism although uncomfortable is how people should act.

Also despite claims to the contrary and even rules against it... pre-paid meters are FAR more expensive per unit. as they are on the least pleasant tarrif available. I had to get the damned things removed from the house I currently rent because heating for just a few of hours burned up the £5 I put on it! All they do is allow you to directly cap your spend by having your gas and electricity suddenly shut off leaving your freezer defrosting, anything in the fridge to go off, no hot water to wash/shower in and house unheated. The emergency credit just buys you more time but you wind up living out of that and never getting back into credit because you are that damned poor.

I know that pre pay meters are far more expensive.  I have had one before.

I deal with people on Benefits every day in my job.  I hate to point out the bloody obvious.  You need to keep your heating as low as possible to prevent frozen pipes and hypothermia.  Put on all of your clothes at once.  You have no choice.  Your income is £53 per week.  Not more and possibly less.

You have to deal with your situation as it is, not as you want it to be.  If it was then you would not be on Benefit.

And if you are in the situation where you can't pay bills then it is better to deal with it now rather than pretend that building more debt on Credit Cards, pay day loans, cash loans from the Provi etc and or illegal loansharks.

I am also well aware that the person's credit rating will be damaged.  But if you do not have a job then this is the least of your problems.  It is something that you have to live with.

So am I being ignorant by saying it is all ok?  That these things can be paid for from £53 per week?  Or is it more ignorant to pretent that the pinkbuildingphotography is a naughty person has not hit the fan.

You can fix credit ratings etc.  If you do not have food then you starve now.  I hate to point out that if you are in this positon  then you need to prioritse. 

How would you solve this particular issue?

Anthonygh is off-line
07 April 2013 04:56
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I would suggest from my daughter's experience that a CV has zero value if it doesn't include an email address and a phone number. Therefore to not have these facilities could lead the Job Centre to argue one isn't seriously looking for work...so not entitled to JSA and any related benefits.

Anthonygh is off-line
07 April 2013 05:05
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from DorsetHammer
The maths haven't added up since 1951 that was when the basis of national insurance contributions had to be changed. You'll find people of a certain age going on about paying their stamp - even that originates from before 1951! The 'maths' of contributions = benefits don't add up today, they never have and never will, not enough people are in work earning enough at any one time - that's why pensions are deferred.

The welfare state is slowly fading, we cannot afford it. The current government inherited a record deficit which they have to reduce, the last Government through a sustained period of profligacy allowed benefits to reach record levels, it cannot continue.

If the situation is so dire how has it happened that one of the richest nations on earth has one of the lowest state pension in the EU...and the govt is able to reduce the lengh of time people contribute to 30 yrs and raise the full entitlement they will receive at the same time?

I know the govt is pushing back the actual retirement age but the main function of that, it seems to me, it to trap more people in employment for longer making it harder for younger people to get on the employment ladder...or more likely, to enable companies to sack older workers on capability grounds...workers who will then be put on JSA and means tested benefits rather than state pensions.

33 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa AmberSpice chosin danixhale fashion29 Krystald pinklilly toxicinnocence
63jian abouncer ad360photo bigearspix caoli cliffc djb1 donaldmac eosfan gazzer59 gshocker30 humphries hylander iestyn mikebee mrdl PhotoSpyroS poah skinz steveh32 steven1 Thechriss Thunder_Photos visions11 Willjamieson