Can you live on £53 a week?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Anthonygh is off-line
05 April 2013 14:37
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
The reduction in the Housing Benefit for the second bedroom (Dubbed the Bedroom Tax)  is not applied to anyone above retirement age. 

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

IE has the ability to claim state pension, pension credit etc.  If her Housing Benefit is reducting it is because her income/ capital has increased.

If her date of Birth is before the 05 April 1951 then income will be the main driver for Housing Benefit.

Council Tax help has changed signigicantly.  The government have placed the legislation into this into the hands of councils and cut the budget.  Therefore it is up to her council to create the rules.  That I can't coment on.

Maybe I should have said frail late middle age.....she is younger than me but looks much older and was working as a classroom assistant in a school until it was closed a few years back.

Alan Jefferies is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 15:36
ploggy
Photographer
ploggy
Merseyside
St.Helens

Not counting the relatively few abusers of the system, who are despised by the genuine unemployed, as much as they are by the working people who have to pay for them, there are very very few people who are claiming on their national Insurance contributions, that wouldn't love to have a job with a living wage that would restore their dignity?
Every Tory government that has ever been, has raised unemployment and made them the scapegoats that help to divide the nation and provide a smokescreen to hide the various scams that they have perpetrated on the general populace of this once great nation?
Forget the massaged figures, because another ploggy is a naughty person is the way they work out the unemployment statistics, to make it appear that there are only so many claiming benefit entitlement, when in fact the real figure is about 4 times higher, hence the problem, not enough real wage earners to pay for the benefit system?
And yes, we could all live on £53 per week, if they were to legalise hunting again, substituting Tories for the foxes and instituting free recipe ideas to cook them fairly cheaply? It would be hard to catch a few of the more slippery MPs of course and even harder to find enough meat amongst the fat, but I suppose we could afford to bin most of the blubbery ones, which is where they belong anyway,  not being fit even to eat?
Actually, changing the thread yet again, maybe it was the lazy gits on the dole who voted Tory, because they didn't want to work????
I find that people who think that they know it all can be very annoying to those of us that actually do.

05 April 2013 17:50
Bonno
Model

Quote from mitch69
IMPOSSIBLE  with the figures you have given !

£53=£106 per fortnight

minus £40 fuel on payday

£10 gas

£10 electric

£20 phone     

£60 will cover essentials for fortnight (Well thats £80 already)

£30 food

£15 Toiletries/cosmetics

TOTAL £125 from £106 Benefit leaves £19 shortfall already !

Thats without water rates , TV licence etc and not taking into account contracts  may have had before went on benefits , cant tell phone/broadband provider etc that your cancelling contract due to being laid off !

I had a contract phone, water, electric, tv license, food and rent to pay in that. Even had to take my car off the road. It is definitely impossible. Or was. For me.
Constant Discounted Rates :) Email for Info..

Alan Jefferies is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 19:20
ploggy
Photographer
ploggy
Merseyside
St.Helens

Actually, I would vote tory, possibly even join the Conservative party, but I can't afford the operation to have 90% of my brain removed to qualify.
I find that people who think that they know it all can be very annoying to those of us that actually do.

Peter is off-line
05 April 2013 19:22
peterbuchanphoto
Photographer
peterbuchanphoto
West Yorkshire
Leeds

Weekly bus pass in the near city area: £13 (essential for job hunting)
A phone be it home or mobile to make and receive calls: variabe but assume 5pw cheap contract or topups (again essential)
Electricity: £7pw and we dont have a stereo or watch much or any tv so thats fairly low consumption.
Gas for water and heating (17 degrees 2bed terrace): £20pw
Im up to 45 without even talking about food. Honestly if you are looking for work this is impossible. I have been there and am glad of my savings because with the other half working for £150pw and my £70 JSA we didnt qualify for any housing or council benefits when I was last out of work.
425 rent + 70 council + 90 gas + 30 electric + 80 media package and mobiles each(pre being unemployed and contracts so stuck with them) thats 695 of about 1k and doesnt include her car (6am starts and no direct bus, she has no other option), insurances, household essentials like cleaning stuff and of course all the money I had to spend actually looking for work... wheres the money to live on?
Benefits for the vast majority are not an option for long. The select few who do milk it are not representative and are a poor excuse/smokescreen for cuts on everyone.

05 April 2013 19:24
BFSPhotography
Photographer
This member has been suspended
This member has been reset to pending

Signed

Anthonygh is off-line
05 April 2013 21:10
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from ploggy
Actually, I would vote tory, possibly even join the Conservative party, but I can't afford the operation to have 90% of my brain removed to qualify.

surprisesurprise

Anthonygh is off-line
05 April 2013 21:33
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Half of all state benefits are the state pension (it is interesting that the Tories are now constantly referring to payments made to people who have paid decades of NICs as 'benefits')...of the remainder...90% go to people in work but are badly paid.

Of the remaining 10%.....those are either disabled, looking for work...or the skivers.

The skivers are probably a fraction of a fraction of the total benefit bill...but the Tories have used this to do what they do well.....turn the lower paid on the lower paid...and tar anyone claiming benefits as a 'scrounger'.

That aside..I know a few people who are 'scroungers' and they have a nice lifestyle and are not stupid people...they would be successful entrepreneurs if they took that path and it will be interesting to see if the state can do anything about these particular individuals....my bet is they can't.

It would be interesting to speculate how many people on PS are 'scroungers'..how many model...for example....let the taxman know what they earn doing shoots. Or inform the benefits people.....? I only know one model on here who has properly set herself up as a business...and she isn't a UK citizen!

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
06 April 2013 04:34
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from anthonyh
Half of all state benefits are the state pension (it is interesting that the Tories are now constantly referring to payments made to people who have paid decades of NICs as 'benefits'...!

Techincally the basic pension is a benefit, anybody who began receiving a pension from the state before April 2013 will be getting a minimum of £1,600 more a year than they could have paid in under the old rules - and that £1,600 is based on somebody earning £34,000 a year for the 30 full years worth of contributions required to qualify for a pension. Given that the average wage (median value) is £26,500 you can see that very few will have made anywhere near the level of contribution required to meet their state benefits.  How many people were earning £34,000 a year between 1964 (16 years after the start of NI) and say 1994 building up this imaginary fund?

People receiving their state pension now, in addition to other benefits such as free TV licences, bus passes, winter fuel allowance etc cannot have ever hoped to have made sufficient contributions to meet the States obligations.

State benefits, like the NHS, are reliant on the fact that the Government can borrow now against future contributions, nobody ever pays enough 'in' to equal the benefit they take out. Forget party politics, get a basic understanding of economics, the welfare system is based on the old idea that we all contribute and get very little in return during our working lifetime.

It was broken when I got here

Glasgow Photographer is off-line
06 April 2013 06:29
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

I paid in £196 per month (or similar rate given inflation over the years)for 50 years. I was unemployed for a just over a year so they knocked back my contribution amount to 48 years.

Given 48 years on input, plus taxes I for one think I am worth the pension of £137PW - I certainly am not going to live another 50 years and all things being equal will pass on in my 70s. So on average they are only having to pay in out for 10 years.

We might be living longer but the average is still to die in their 70's.

Military service for 17 years, police for the same amount + - yes, I do feel I paid in enough for what they are paying out. Wonder what I private company would pay for that level of contributions over that length of time?

Would not like to add up what has been paid in taxes, income, VAT, road etc.

Yes, they get their pound of flesh me thinks.
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
gadzooks2 guitarman mikehemmings Steveh32