This thread is being watched by 1 person
Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
05 April 2013 09:12
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Seems like they're penalising tennants for the mismanagement or misallocation of housing stock, for which the tennants are not to blame.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

05 April 2013 09:16
Bonno
Model

I spent a brief few months on benefits in between a job. I lived alone in a private two bed flat. I received 100 a fortnight on jobseekers allowance and 110 a fortnight housing benefit. My council tax was paid in that time.

Total 420.00.

My rent? 525.00. Safe to say no you cannot live this 'life of luxury' people believe people do on benefits. I ended up owing my family money due to me borrowing whilst out of work to pay my rent.

This was just rent. I barely ate those few months lol
Constant Discounted Rates :) Email for Info..

Anthonygh is off-line
05 April 2013 09:28
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from photo_phil
Making people who aren't entitled to houses bigger than they need pay for the extra space is a great idea.
I'd rather they paid for the privilage than me and the rest of this countries taxpayers.

If the same people were on housing benefits in Private rented accomodation they wouldn't be allowed to be in a house bigger than they need. Why should those in council housing be treated differently?

There is an elderly lady a few streets away who lives in a two bed bungalow (council owned) that she has been in since the 50s....child, married woman now widow. It is clearly her home in any sense of the word. She is now to have her housing benefit reduced and pay something for CT. I don't know her income but she isn't anywhere close to rich, that is obvious.

Her whole life is in that small area......friends, neighbours, corner shop, doctor......everything but other suitable accommodation. I actually wonder how she could move...I doubt if she is physically able to do it herself or able to pay for it to be done. So like many it seems, she can't move but will have to pay the bedroom tax.

Full credit to the Tories on this one.....they must have done their research and know that this is a barely disguised ruse to redude housing benefits for a lot of vulnerable people. The Tories, in case people don't remember, are the party that sold off huge numbers of coucil houses at substantial discounts with the argument that council houses are people homes, people have a right to own their own homes...and as most council tenants have paid enough rent to have bought their homes...the discount was fair.

It is odd to think Thatcher's lot were better friends to council tenants than this lot......fewer millionairs in the govt then so maybe a different perspective.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 10:27
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from Bonno
I spent a brief few months on benefits in between a job. I lived alone in a private two bed flat. I received 100 a fortnight on jobseekers allowance and 110 a fortnight housing benefit. My council tax was paid in that time. Total 420.00. My rent? 525.00. Safe to say no you cannot live this 'life of luxury' people believe people do on benefits. I ended up owing my family money due to me borrowing whilst out of work to pay my rent. This was just rent. I barely ate those few months lol

This is why I agree with the reduction being applied to the Housing Benefit for Council Tenants.  Commonly known as the Bedroom Tax.  

If you had been in a Council or Registered Social Landlord's (Housing Association) house then the whole lot would have been paid.  As you are under 35 you were limited to Single Room Rate.  (This changed about 1 -2 years ago it used to be 25)

It is wrong that someone gets penalised due to whom thier Landlord is.

However I doubt it would be easy to live on £53 per week.

But I do think that if someone is very careful it is possible.

£53 = £106 per fortnight

£40.00 on Fuel at post office when picking up the payment.  £10 Gas and £10 Electricity.  If you are careful you can use this.  e.g. if you are cold put on a jersey/ cardigan etc.

£20.00 on phonebill. only use for emergency and looking for work.

£60 for essentials will cover the fortnight.

Leaves £30 for food.  Make your own will save you as you can buy what you actually need.

Cut out crisps and the like.

£15 for others such as cosmetics.  Places like Poundland, Bodycare offer good savings. 

Need to prioritise by not buying booze and fags.

Shops like poundland, bodycare etc will help with keeping payments down and local library allows free internet access for Job Applications etc.

However this would be very difficult. 
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 10:38
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Quote from anthonyh
There is an elderly lady a few streets away who lives in a two bed bungalow (council owned) that she has been in since the 50s....child, married woman now widow. It is clearly her home in any sense of the word. She is now to have her housing benefit reduced and pay something for CT. I don't know her income but she isn't anywhere close to rich, that is obvious.

Her whole life is in that small area......friends, neighbours, corner shop, doctor......everything but other suitable accommodation. I actually wonder how she could move...I doubt if she is physically able to do it herself or able to pay for it to be done. So like many it seems, she can't move but will have to pay the bedroom tax.

Full credit to the Tories on this one.....they must have done their research and know that this is a barely disguised ruse to redude housing benefits for a lot of vulnerable people. The Tories, in case people don't remember, are the party that sold off huge numbers of coucil houses at substantial discounts with the argument that council houses are people homes, people have a right to own their own homes...and as most council tenants have paid enough rent to have bought their homes...the discount was fair.

It is odd to think Thatcher's lot were better friends to council tenants than this lot......fewer millionairs in the govt then so maybe a different perspective.

The reduction in the Housing Benefit for the second bedroom (Dubbed the Bedroom Tax)  is not applied to anyone above retirement age. 

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension

IE has the ability to claim state pension, pension credit etc.  If her Housing Benefit is reducting it is because her income/ capital has increased.

If her date of Birth is before the 05 April 1951 then income will be the main driver for Housing Benefit.

Council Tax help has changed signigicantly.  The government have placed the legislation into this into the hands of councils and cut the budget.  Therefore it is up to her council to create the rules.  That I can't coment on.

Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Paul Hodson is off-line
05 April 2013 10:52
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography
The reduction in the Housing Benefit for the second bedroom (Dubbed the Bedroom Tax) is not applied to anyone above retirement age.

Are you trying to confuse the discussion by bringing facts into it? Shame on you!

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

05 April 2013 11:00
gmcphotography
Photographer

Not only is Osborne depriving disabled folks of thier benefits, but he's also depriving them of a disabled parking space! With his bloomin' great Range Rover! Scumbag!!!!

Brian Buckland is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 11:47
para
Photographer
para
Norfolk
Diss

Quote from mr_mick
Yeah its a great idea. Problem is the council have not got smaller home's to put people in. If we had the properties we would have done this years ago. The bedroom tax is fair only if your offered a smaller property of similar quality. I work for the council and we have very few one bedroom properties.

I'm a bricklayer for over 35 years,now retired and I can count the number of one bedroom properties I have built on one hand.Most have been three to four bedrooms.As far as I'm aware the the costs are out of proportion to larger properties

mitch69 is off-linePlatinum Member
05 April 2013 13:14
mitch69
Photographer
mitch69
Derbyshire
swadlincote

Quote from pinkbuildingphotography

But I do think that if someone is very careful it is possible.

£53 = £106 per fortnight

£40.00 on Fuel at post office when picking up the payment.  £10 Gas and £10 Electricity.  If you are careful you can use this.  e.g. if you are cold put on a jersey/ cardigan etc.

£20.00 on phonebill. only use for emergency and looking for work.

£60 for essentials will cover the fortnight.

Leaves £30 for food.  Make your own will save you as you can buy what you actually need.

Cut out crisps and the like.

£15 for others such as cosmetics.  Places like Poundland, Bodycare offer good savings. 

However this would be very difficult. 

IMPOSSIBLE  with the figures you have given !

£53=£106 per fortnight
minus £40 fuel on payday
           £10 gas
           £10 electric
           £20 phone     
                                     £60 will cover essentials for fortnight (Well thats £80 already)
           £30 food
           £15 Toiletries/cosmetics
TOTAL £125 from £106 Benefit leaves £19 shortfall already !
 Thats without water rates , TV licence etc and not taking into account contracts  may have had before went on benefits , cant tell phone/broadband provider etc that your cancelling contract due to being laid off !

Images capture the imagination but imagination captures the image!

Alan Jefferies is off-lineSilver Member
05 April 2013 13:31
ploggy
Photographer
ploggy
Merseyside
St.Helens

Slightly away from the point, but after 45 years of paying national "Insurance" a friend of mine made a claim, due to having to give up work to look after his disabled wife. He doesn't claim a penny more than he is entitled to under the terms of this "Insurance", yet he is labeled a "scrounger" by these incompetents?
If he is a scrounger, then so is everyone who claims insurance benefits for flood damage, or car accidents, break ins, etc etc?????
Incidently, certain tory MPs, who shall remain nameless, actually live off their wives inheritances and scrounge off the state every day with their expenses claims? Some even delay getting their meals so that they can get free meals within the time constraints allowed? Scroungers, definitely.! Are we really "all in this together"?
I find that people who think that they know it all can be very annoying to those of us that actually do.

6 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Craigchesham
AndyGStudios chandos Essexjohn Lumen snappytim