Paul is off-lineSilver Member
04 April 2013 06:59
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from Missie0290
Ther simply aren't enough jobs to go around, It's not a case of not wanting to work - In Liverpool, 30,000 people applied for 3000 vacancies. Thats 1000 people per job. Pretty big give away that people do want the work, It just isn't there.

The major problem in all western world countries is that there are plenty of jobs requiring some basic skills and a lot of unemployed who don't have even the basic skills. We lead the world in many industries from aviation through to pharmacueticals unfortunately there are many areas in the UK where the traditional jobs of the 40's through to the 70's are no longer needed. The big challenge for any Government for the next 20 years or so is to get more people into relevant training, the old days of having no qualifications and still being guaranteed a job in the 'big four' industries (mining, shipbuilding, car industrry, major engineering) have long since gone.
It was broken when I got here

Matt Harper is off-line
04 April 2013 07:16
mattharper
Photographer
mattharper
Devon
Paignton

Quote from Missie0290
Ther simply aren't enough jobs to go around, It's not a case of not wanting to work - In Liverpool, 30,000 people applied for 3000 vacancies. Thats 1000 people per job. Pretty big give away that people do want the work, It just isn't there. Very few people actually want to be on benefits. Most housing benefit claimants are workers too.

Isn't 30,000 applicants for 3,000 jobs 10 applicants per job? 

Paul Hodson is off-line
04 April 2013 07:25
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from mattharper
Isn't 30,000 applicants for 3,000 jobs 10 applicants per job?

Yes - but some people don't have the requisite mathematical skills to get the jobs!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Anthonygh is off-line
04 April 2013 09:07
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

This was just emailed to me:

400,000 in less than 4 days -- incredible!

First of all I want to say thank you. When I started the petition calling on Iain Duncan Smith to live on £53 a week I hoped it would have some impact, but I never imagined it would set off such a huge chain reaction. As I write the signature count is 408,593. It is overwhelming and inspiring.

This week the Government wanted to control the debate and dictate the tone -- you have taken that from them and given it back to the people!

The petition has been talked about on Facebook and Twitter, and covered hundreds of times in the media. It was on the front page of The Independent, BBC, Sky News, The Guardian, The Daily Mail, The Telegraph and many more.

Iain Duncan Smith has not yet replied directly to me, but told his local newspaper that he thinks the petition is "a complete stunt which distracts attention from the welfare reforms". In fact it is the total opposite.

This petition represents over 400,000 people concerned by the welfare cuts.

Iain Duncan Smith is clearly rattled and wants this to blow over. Let's not give him that privilege.

In the coming days I will deliver the petition in person but let's have a final effort to remind him once again what this is all about -- men who live comfortable lives in country mansions have no right to tell people what poverty feels like.

Post a Facebook message or send a tweet today. Some ideas below...

Please keep supporting the petition -- we have started this conversation, let's keep it going.

Thank you,
Dominic

Help reach 500,000 signers...

Pete Whelan is off-line
04 April 2013 09:28
vipimages
Photographer
vipimages
Merseyside
Wirral

Isn't it a pity it's not a petition to scrap the bedroom tax rather than 400,000 people agreeing that IDC is a nob?

www.vipimages.co.uk www.vipstudios.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
04 April 2013 22:45
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

http://redearedrabbit.com/2013/04/03/the-worst-speech-ever-made/

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Anthonygh is off-line
05 April 2013 06:18
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

I came back from some shopping yesterday and it made me wonder...the govt recommends we need ' five a day' as part of a balanced diet to keep us healthy.

I wondered what the real cost of 'five a day' is.....at Tesco prices I would put it at about £2.50 a day or around £17 a week. Even assuming it could be a little cheaper...say £13, that is still a big chunk out of £53.

Unless of course IDS doesn't think the govt advise on a healthy diet is applicable to people living on benefits.

photo_phil is off-line
05 April 2013 06:36
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

Quote from panda49
Quote from photo_phil The Queen, like the rest if us can have as many rooms as we want as long as we pay for them. NO we pay her rent and she just got an extra £16000 a week from our taxes to add to her wealth

Actually she keeps a percentage from the Crown Estate (14% I think but unsure).
She doesn't recieve from the Civil List anymore AND pays taxes on her income.

At 86 she'll out work eveyone who's too lazy to get out of bed and better themselves and prefer the welfare state.

photo_phil is off-line
05 April 2013 06:40
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

Quote from vipimages
Isn't it a pity it's not a petition to scrap the bedroom tax rather than 400,000 people agreeing that IDC is a nob?

Making people who aren't entitled to houses bigger than they need pay for the extra space is a great idea.
I'd rather they paid for the privilage than me and the rest of this countries taxpayers.

If the same people were on housing benefits in Private rented accomodation they wouldn't be allowed to be in a house bigger than they need. Why should those in council housing be treated differently?

mick  is off-line
05 April 2013 08:06
mr_mick
Photographer

West Midlands
west bromwich

Yeah its a great idea. Problem is the council have not got smaller home's to put people in. If we had the properties we would have done this years ago. The bedroom tax is fair only if your offered a smaller property of similar quality. I work for the council and we have very few one bedroom properties.

26 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
chosin fashion29 pinklilly Vickiej Winterlilly
Add_barkaway android_man claypaws cliffc Daddylonglense david1500 donaldmac duncanjames Essexjohn geoffmarchant iestyn JPV karlsheen markwalden mghphoto MIB philippahh Smooth_image star_shots Thunder_Photos westend_portfolios