03 April 2013 12:44
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from alexcrawford
I've had this dream for years.

Fortunately when you wake up you will be able to realise that it is arrant nonsense.
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Neil Anderson is off-line
03 April 2013 12:53
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from LadylikeMedia

I live in a 4 bedroom detached house, not exactly a mansion... My outgoings before food fuel and luxuries is around £2000 a month but living in a city isn't cheap I guess.

If my rent was paid and essentials like council tax covered I'm sure I could live on £53 a week for food and heating. If you don't work then can't expect luxuries I guess.

But if you are actually trying to find an illusive job, you have transport costs to get to an interview (if there were really jobs available)and you would need some sort of phone. You also have to remember that many job-seekers were (are being) made redundant with commitments. The mobile phone company, SKY, bank loans etc. etc. don't have a break your contract if you loose your job clause - you have to keep paying or they sue you.

Meanwhile all these housing benefits go to subside companies who are apparently too inefficient to pay a living wage (although the CEOs always seem to be making a mint) and then the money ends up in the pockets of impoverished landlords. Just look at the numbers and it is clear who the real scroungers are.

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Missie is off-line
03 April 2013 12:58
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

It's fine saying you can live on it. You might not die on it, But you can't cover the basic essentials.

The bare minimum that has to come out of that money is;

Food (Say £25 per week for a healthy diet)
Gas & Electric (£20 per week for an average flat)
Water rates
Council tax (Most people have to pay some percentage of council tax)
Travelling to any health appointments, job searching etc.

The above cannot be done on £53.

Something has to be pushed back so while you might not die, giving up one of any of those is going to make you ill or get you a prison sentence.

Ther simply aren't enough jobs to go around, It's not a case of not wanting to work - In Liverpool, 30,000 people applied for 3000 vacancies. Thats 1000 people per job. Pretty big give away that people do want the work, It just isn't there.

Very few people actually want to be on benefits.

Most housing benefit claimants are workers too.
"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

Neil Anderson is off-line
03 April 2013 13:05
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from mph
Tell me - how much extra tax would you like to pay - and how much do you think he should get extra per week out of that?

Of course it is simple economics that the way to prolong the recession is take money from those who don't have any and give it to people who already have plenty secreted away. Paying people less benefits takes money out of the economic cycle, and leads to increased taxes for those that do have jobs. That is why the deficit is so much higher than when this government took office. Worse the prospects of unemployment without a reasonable safety net means that people are not secure in their jobs and will not take on commitments like bank loans to buy cars or even spend money any anything but essentials. How much is Cameron paying towards all the state-subsidised rooms he has at Downing Street and Chequers - a clear case of under-occupancy. And how much of the £53 per week will end up coming straight back to the government in VAT (or as the Daily Mail would have it on Alcohol and tobacco taxes)
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Anthonygh is off-line
03 April 2013 14:20
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

As suggested above...there are some simple economics involved that Osbourn just doesn't grasp despite virtually every economist that writes or is interviewed tries painstakingly to explain.....sucking money out of a shrinking economy merely increases the rate it shrinks.

At a micro level......'benefits' for the really poor doesn't cost the govt much.....most of what they spend goes into the local economy and most of that finds its way back to the govt in various taxes....this was estimated to be around 85% in one article I read.

The worst case (for the govt) are the various benefits paid to people in work as the taxpayer is effectively subsidizing those companies paying below living wages...allowing them to prosper at the expense of companies needing to pay decent wages. It is no coincidence that we keep on hearing how many 'private sector' jobs are created by Tesco etc. I would personally call then part private part state as the taxpayer part funds much of the cost.

So as above, most of the 'wages' from the employed poor comes back to the govt eventually.....but at the cost of distorting commerce in the UK and the ultimate long term viability of UK PLC.

As for the rich! I don't know that many..but the few I do know are talking about buying property in Spain or Italy now it is so cheap, upgrading their Macs or similar.....or otherwise spending in ways that barely helps the balance of payments situation.

Most people I know are like me.....not rich....so saving every penny for the rainy days the libcons have in mind for us.

Kali  Chaos is off-line
03 April 2013 14:34
KayzModeling
Model
KayzModeling
Devon
Plymouth

Quote from anthonyh
If you can't, you might like to sign this petition!

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/iain-duncan-smith-iain-duncan-smith-to-live-on-53-a-week

Personally I have been able to live on that amount, but barely. I actually became ill in the process, I'd like to see some of these politicians attempt the same thing, or even try to support themselves and a child on £71 per week.
I've got my war face on, now to enter the forums.

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 April 2013 14:59
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from stolenfaces
Of course it is simple economics that the way to prolong the recession is take money from those who don't have any and give it to people who already have plenty secreted away. Paying people less benefits takes money out of the economic cycle, and leads to increased taxes for those that do have jobs. That is why the deficit is so much higher than when this government took office. Worse the prospects of unemployment without a reasonable safety net means that people are not secure in their jobs and will not take on commitments like bank loans to buy cars or even spend money any anything but essentials. How much is Cameron paying towards all the state-subsidised rooms he has at Downing Street and Chequers - a clear case of under-occupancy. And how much of the £53 per week will end up coming straight back to the government in VAT (or as the Daily Mail would have it on Alcohol and tobacco taxes)

Good answer. Not to the question I asked - but still!   surprise

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 April 2013 19:20
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QPKKQnijnsM#!

panda49 is online
04 April 2013 02:44
panda49
Photographer

London
London/Birmingham

Quote from photo_phil

The Queen, like the rest if us can have as many rooms as we want as long as we pay for them.
NO we pay her rent and she just got an extra £16000 a week from our taxes to add to her wealth

ImperfectRose is off-lineSilver Member
04 April 2013 06:35
SoftGentle
Model
SoftGentle
Greater Manchester
Leigh

53 Pound a week no chance!! 10 Lectric a week 10 gas. A weej plus nappys and wet wipes food and water etc etc rent no way xx

34 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
celebrateeverymoment Donnybabe11 KayleighChristina Natural_happy_girl PrettyDiamond SJH30
abouncer andygstudios carshaltonkev cliffc couchestudio davkit Don_Dark Essexjohn freddie Hioctane James7799 Kiboko Kjoservices Ladiesman Leztec MIB nunude panda49 redbaron rossvincent rscott360 rumbleuk steveh32 tonyg wacTony WesternRoom
Charlottealom
barlowstudios