Can you live on £53 a week?

This thread is being watched by 1 person
Anthonygh is off-line
03 April 2013 09:42
anthonyh
Photographer

Kent

Quote from LadylikeMedia
Is that £53 a week after the government has paid for your rent and taxes etc or before? I could probably live on £53 a week if it doesn't include rent etc. I wouldn't want to but I could. My council tax alone is around £70 a week so if its paying that and rent etc too then def not!

You must live in a mansion then at £3500 plus PA CTax......so I would suggest that heating will take a chunk of that £53.....house insurance another.....and so on. You might 'exist' on the remnants but I would hope you like beans on toast etc etc.

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 April 2013 09:44
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from anthonyh
You must live in a mansion then at £3500 plus PA CTax......so I would suggest that heating will take a chunk of that £53.....house insurance another.....and so on. You might 'exist' on the remnants but I would hope you like beans on toast etc etc.

It'll go on fags & booze before it goes on heating,insurance & food.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 April 2013 09:48
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from LadylikeMedia
Is that £53 a week after the government has paid for your rent and taxes etc or before? I could probably live on £53 a week if it doesn't include rent etc. I wouldn't want to but I could. My council tax alone is around £70 a week so if its paying that and rent etc too then def not!

"Mr Duncan Smith made the claim following a discussion on the Today programme in which market trader David Bennett said he was left with only £53 a week after rent and bills following a cut to his housing benefit."

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul Hodson is off-line
03 April 2013 09:52
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from anthonyh
................ I would suggest that heating will take a chunk of that £53.....house insurance another.....and so on. You might 'exist' on the remnants but I would hope you like beans on toast etc etc.

Tell me - how much extra tax would you like to pay - and how much do you think he should get extra per week out of that?

Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
03 April 2013 10:03
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

A very sly tactic by this Tory MP to divert attention away from the £53 a week issue
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

Razoir is off-line
03 April 2013 10:25
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Quote from alexcrawford
oh brilliant. here come all obvious statements, the counter arguments, and the doggy poo flung from high places. if we *all* realised that we are being played BIG-TIME by those that weild the wealth have the "sway" and are in the club. tax upon tax upon tax upon tax. we are being bled dry by opportunists. unfortunately we dont see the wood for the trees, and 99% of people accept it unconditionally. this is a crazy world, its led by people that are very suspect, and we *must* do something in the neat future. all i can think of is rebellion against the system, as its gone far far farrrrrrr to far down the road to change what's here. gmo's. aspartame. fluoride in water, all connected to how we are treated. we being the great unwashed. there are powers/forces ruling the "ruling classes" that we have no concept of, (in my view) and they also rule elected governments, actually, governments fullstop. we are the idiots. "they" are the ones that have taken advantage of this fact. as for council housing changes: i agree that something has to be done. however to barge in and grandfather-rights all the new decisions is madness. its happened in so many different circumstances, and it causes upset. i think they dont care about that. new social housing (council houses!) can have contracts written that make it obvious that's what can happen. old tenants should be respected and requested to do the bidding, not ordered. grandfather rights of tenants should be respected. just a few thoughts. dont know if any of it is cogent or even sensible. ha! cheers, alex

I broadly agree with your sentiments but have to point out thyat when you mix in other issues it becomes very difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. There certainly are some very dubious arguments out there but to include gm's, fluoride and aspartame in the same debate makes life very difficult. MOST of the shocking tales about scientific changes like gm' are spurious when checked carefuly. The EU and straight bananas being one of the best examples. "Everybody" believed that the EU had banned curved bananas but when investigated closely it turned out to be just journalism.

I commend to the house a little book by a guy called Darryl Huff. The book is How To Lie With Statistics and is brilliant. It demonstrates all the nasty tricks thet politicians, ad-men, journos and other evil freaks use to dupe the public. I think it is still available from Penguin.

I also reccomend to the house the old concept that an argument must stand on it's own legs and does not stand according to who said it.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

alex crawford is off-lineSilver Member
03 April 2013 10:56
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford
Essex
Chelmsford

....when we don't see the " biggest picture" its easy for us to be duped, sly-handed, and led to places

we'd not otherwise want to be. i'm only just beginning to work things out (to my own satisfaction).

as a youth i really did think wars were started to fight for the right and the good.

again. i now know different.

of course this all depends on how you envisage a good society to be.

i believe that all humans must be offered the very basics. we should ALL work to make that happen.

it involves all having a roof over their head, heat, decent food, decent water, decent sanitation,
and the opportunities to be educated to the levels they are capable of and want.
in exchange for this, everyone must work and put back into society.

unfortuantely this hasn't happened from the get go. its been working towards a them and us
society from day-1. by education and example its my idea that we need to develop a society that
has the ATTITUDE that everyone else is more important than our self. the way things are now
everyone else is subservient to our needs and greeds.
that cannot be right. and it isnt. look at how many starving humans their are in the world,
and how many trillionaires there are. this is an uneven society. very unbalanced.

how? i dont see the chance of anyone giving up their hoarded wealth by philanthropic means
(the people i'm thinking of anyway).

come the revolution it'll be a difficult place for the uber riche, but liveable if they get the
idea and divest themselves of their huge wealth and just become ordinary-wealthy, a few millions.
i've no trouble with that because it means the other few thousands of millions have been shared and put
to good use. that's if the banking system still survives as it is.

i'm also for the system that says if a loan is taken, then it must be repaid but with no interest.
the concept of interest means that someone is leaching money from (insert your own ideas)
and you can bet your bottom euro that it wont be the top echelons of the riche, it will be from
the common man being taxed, upon tax, upon tax. sad.

time has come for a rethink.,, i think. lets start by taxing the uber riche, the ones that have
10 trillion or more in their bank account. we can tax them 99.5% and they still wont suffer one
iota. put the money gained into social houseing health and food. ask the people that use those
facilities to pay back by doing work for the community they are relying on. its then US, not them.

i've had this dream for years.
i woke up to the reality of how we are being manipulated years ago.
but, if someone grows up in a degenerate system, they will think its normal.
changing people's mind set if a very difficult thing to do.
i'd like to see it happen though !!!

Megan Reynolds is off-line
03 April 2013 11:18
LadylikeMedia
Photographer
LadylikeMedia
Bristol
Bristol

Quote from anthonyh

I live in a 4 bedroom detached house, not exactly a mansion... My outgoings before food fuel and luxuries is around £2000 a month but living in a city isn't cheap I guess.

If my rent was paid and essentials like council tax covered I'm sure I could live on £53 a week for food and heating. If you don't work then can't expect luxuries I guess.

Glasgow Photographer is online
03 April 2013 11:21
GlasgowPhotographer
Photographer
GlasgowPhotographer
Strathclyde
Glasgow

The money was designed to assist people through the hard times until they found their way back into work. Regret to say it has funded a too many of those who could work, but will not work.
The right to buy your council house might have been a great idea (those with mortgages don't go on strike etc) but it has left the social housing market empty.

Who has built one bedroom houses over the last 30years? Most were demolished due to multiple occupancy! Councils built 2 - 4 bedroom houses as standard - to do away with one room "single ends".

When are we going to tax those who caused most of this problem - bankers and the like. They are pretty much back to normal super rich handouts for those who run them.

£53 - would not fuel his car for a week. Divide and conquer and blame the weakest in society. Create jobs with zero hours and pretend they have come off the dole.

How long before we have our bank accounts frozen and money deducted at source from our savings?

Of course a little war some where would cure all that - Korea anyone?
Regards, George http://www.monapics.com/html/blog.html

photo_phil is off-line
03 April 2013 11:34
photo_phil
Photographer
photo_phil
Lincolnshire
Coningsby

Quote from LadylikeMedia

That's after rent, council tax, prescriptions, free eye tests, free dental and free school meals.

22 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray danixhale Davenport julia1984 Mizbounci
ad360photo davejarvis FlashHarry100 GGDP_Photography GlasgowPhotographer guitarman Ianmcculloch ImageStyle Ladiesman mike0048 modelboutique skymouse TinDolls vipimages Willjamieson xcellent
barlowstudios