Reminder Secure

photographers being rude/ignoring models?!

Paul Thompson is off-linePlatinum Member
13 March 2013 19:31
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
Hampshire
Fareham

Last year I had two all expensive paid trips to Cyprus, for which I took in total six models from this site, the casting call was very specific, looking for a new face etc. It was an Art nude level shoot and I wanted a female model with few or no previous shoots.

I had several models with over a hundred references reply, one male model and a model who was really interested but would only shoot to lingerie, I did reply to everyone that contacted me, some then gave me "stroppy" replies because I hadn't chosen them!

This year I have done something different, I wrote a long message, apologising for the intrusion and stating what was on offer, a package worth over a £1000 to the model chosen from my short list, I then sent this message to a number of models I thought would work well with my confirmed model, with a guarantee of them being added to my short list, out of about thirty such messages sent out some weeks ago, I received one thank you but no thank you, levels were not to the models liking, no issues with this and thank that model for her response, other than that I have four models short listed!

For the record, I also find photographers bad at replying to messages, but life is far too short to please everyone, do as I do and put it down to their lose! laugh

When going through Hell don't stop!

28 March 2013 06:46
GirlsAtHome
Photographer

I must agree with Iain T here. I do find it very hard to stay on top of lots of messages and considering i only ever get 20/30 replies as an absolute max, The casting will usually fill within the first 5-10 replies.

I do feel a little bit more at fault here as you did reply to one of my castings recently and the reason I didnt get in touch was for the above reason, which I admit isnt your fault but it does take some to reply to everyone.

As a huge positive for you, you replied as I would hope somone would and it wasnt as was mentioned "interested hun" or "my rate is £50 per hour for glamour"

Good luck with future castings and I wouldnt take it too personally if you dont get replies from people. 95% of us are just busy with the minority being rude.
If this is work,then may I work long and hard!

28 March 2013 11:56
DaniMarie
Model

Dont let it get to you just smile

HowardJ is off-line
28 March 2013 17:58
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

HowardJ is a naughty person happens. life goes on.

28 March 2013 19:36
paulbatterbury
Photographer

Quote from LouiseBon
Just had my first experience with a rude photographer...and its made me think!

I've seen a fair few complaining about models being 'unprofessional' or not answering messages,but I've experienced both!and not said anything about it. As a fairly new model I apply to all castings that I feel suit me,around 80% don't even reply to say no,and I'd really like them to so I can gain critique from them. I've just been blocked because I messaged a casting offering a different type of shoot,I've done this before and had a positive reply,this particular photographer was rude and has now blocked me!!

As models it seems we get slated a lot but sometimes the boot can be on the other foot and its the photographer who is in the wrong,so I felt I needed to say something about this!
Has anyone else had similar happen to them?
Louise x

•  'Unprofessional' has this persons ‘conduct’ lost you time, money or other work, if the answer is no then 'unprofessional' is not the correct word. In the idea world it would be courteous to reply to every message for a casting, but some cast are inundated with applicants and just like any other job, and it is some time not feasible to reply of every applicant, especially when……
  •  ‘I messaged a casting offering a different type of shoot’ offers of opportune work presented of the back of casting work. If a Professional photographer has asked to a specific looks (to sell images on) and you do not meet this criteria, then simply you will not be picked, and you are only wasting your own time. Some business clients have requirements that must be met and if you don’t meet them then you are unsuitable, if you contact a caster, when you do not fulfil the specifications laid down in a casting I think you will simply get a ‘NO’ or ignored answer.
  • Both models and photographers get slated, in all honesty, all because you post on purestorm or any other website and may be know on that website or forum, it does not necessary mean you are well know, popular or of a professional status, both models and photographers get rejection from applying to castings and if anyone has difficulty with dealing with it, then they sure reconsider following a different career path.

If you are going to come on line and complain about such things regardless of who good you work or you skill is as a model, you will gain attention for then wrong reasons and people will avoid working with you in fear of reprisal if they do or say something that could possible offend you.

I don’t think the photographer actions are rude, maybe he they have blocked you for some reason we do not know, however they are only one person there are many more photographers and assignments out there, use your time constructively looking for work you can gain, than focusing on the work you could not.

Kind Regards Paul http://www.paul-batterbury.com

Jesfish is off-line
29 March 2013 21:11
jes
Model
jes
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Too many people are tetchy and paranoid!  I messaged a photograoher once to say how much I liked some of the shots he'd done and the reply I got was "I expect you've sent the same copy and paste message to a hundred photographers in the hope of getting work.  you're better off just saying that's what you want"!  I thought it was a shame that I couldn't even compliment someone without their suspicions being raised!

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
30 March 2013 02:15
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

Quote from jes
Too many people are tetchy and paranoid!  I messaged a photograoher once to say how much I liked some of the shots he'd done and the reply I got was "I expect you've sent the same copy and paste message to a hundred photographers in the hope of getting work.  you're better off just saying that's what you want"!  I thought it was a shame that I couldn't even compliment someone without their suspicions being raised!

some models do unfortunately spam photographers with that sort of message. it's a regular experience on here and the first couple of times it happens you think "yay I have a fan, cool I'll write and say hi" but you get a standard reply like "my rates are blah blah.. and I work to lingerie " and you realise this supposed 'special interest is just a marketing exercise and it is clear she has not even looked at your profile. unfortunately this guy had probably just had too many of these.

You also get the situation where you have had an email chain, either established that a model is not for you, or even arranged a shoot, and then on a rival site you get one of these "hi I really like your work would you like to shoot" messages from the same girl. Duh.

I pretty much assume that's going to be the situation now when I get one of these type messages though I don't reply like this chap has- as I am an eternal optimist! and also because there is the possibility of it being sincere, and I have had genuine contacts like that too. I usually ask which picture or style of mine had caught her attention. This weeds out the spammers. There are other places, not model sites, like dA where a fan message is what it says on the tin but on PS it does tend to make you cynical.

I've noticed that spammers who" really love your work" are quite often east Europeans who don't actually understand English very well so perhaps the emails aren't written by then but their 'managers'.

The Norfolk Bargee  is off-line
30 March 2013 05:13
BOBREEVES
Photographer

Northamptonshire
Northampton

Quote from jes
Yep!  But if you lot think people within the modelling/photography business are bad, you should try working in the equine industry!!...You need the skin of  rhino!

And exacty the same in the music industry !!! my main income Bob R.

Runixx is off-line
30 March 2013 11:31
MissTattoo87
Model
MissTattoo87
Greater Manchester
manchester

Quote from Missie0290
What you did is no different from a photographer not bothering to read your profile and messaging you asking to do adult work.

If you do that you run the risk of annoying people.

+1

i hate it when im am messaged requesting shoots that do not fit my criteria when i put a cc out.
i recently had a rude photographer but i rose above it, asked him not to be so rude as its not needed or appreciated and blocked him, leaving it at that. sometimes its easier to just walk away

3 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
idubai2018 poah portalphotography