Reminder Secure

photographers being rude/ignoring models?!

LouiseMS is off-line
06 March 2013 06:51
TexasB
Model
TexasB
West Sussex
lancing

Just had my first experience with a rude photographer...and its made me think!

I've seen a fair few complaining about models being 'unprofessional' or not answering messages,but I've experienced both!and not said anything about it. As a fairly new model I apply to all castings that I feel suit me,around 80% don't even reply to say no,and I'd really like them to so I can gain critique from them. I've just been blocked because I messaged a casting offering a different type of shoot,I've done this before and had a positive reply,this particular photographer was rude and has now blocked me!!

As models it seems we get slated a lot but sometimes the boot can be on the other foot and its the photographer who is in the wrong,so I felt I needed to say something about this!
Has anyone else had similar happen to them?
Louise x

Moderator Input
It should be borne in mind that replying to a clearly worded casting call with an offer to shoot a different style
or level is seen by some Casting Call creators as time-wasting, rudeness or even Level Pushing /Pulling.

Joel Hicks is off-line
06 March 2013 07:57
JoelHicks
Model
JoelHicks
Leicestershire

Unprofessional is a word that can be associated with both photographers and models alike (but hopefully it's a minority). Try not to let one or two bad experiences get to you too much. In this industry you are unlikely to get a response from casting calls in which you've not been chosen to work - yes, this can be frustrating for the model, but if a photographer (or booker) is receiving 50+ enquiries per casting, this is a virtual impracticality. If (for example) you're told that you've been short listed for a job and then miss out, you're in a better position to ask for a critique... Good luck.

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
06 March 2013 08:07
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Hi Louise,
Cant comment on a models perspective but maybe some photographers who put up CC do get hundreds of replys?ive only ever had one reply!.Maybe they just couldnt get to do then as their  shoot was coming up and needed to sort the models that were more suited..
On the blocked /rude issue,im afraid there are photographers that are rude,happens in all walks of life, some photographers may just not like a model suggesting how his shoot could be altered to accept you in the shoot,id even go to the theory that a few photographes might even think their  too important to be questioned like you might have done,so blocked you.
But there are many more decent and capable photographers still on PS so dont worry too much.
Phil

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
06 March 2013 08:12
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

I don,t think not responding to your application to a casting call is rude, it may just be practical.

I try to respond to all sensible messages, even if just to say no, but sometimes miss a few simply due to time restraints. However, I would say that I feel under no obligation to respond to the majority of messages I get as they either don,t address the casting ie. "I'm interested hun" or "I work to implied, babe" or the model is so far of the criteria, a response would be pointless.

The above probably applies to 80%, so I guess I must have a 20% reply rate to casting applications, I don't feel this is rude at all. I also don't really welcome requests for critique from models whom I have turned down as honest critique on why she is unsuitable would almost certainly be seen as offensive, as in most cases it would be based on how she looks and is probably something she can do little to change, so is unlikely to be constructive. .
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

Peter Hague is online
06 March 2013 08:14
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
South Yorkshire

Quote from IainT
I don,t think not responding to your application to a casting call is rude, it may just be practical. I try to respond to all sensible messages, even if just to say no, but sometimes miss a few simply due to time restraints. However, I would say that I feel under no obligation to respond to the majority of messages I get as they either don,t address the casting ie. "I'm interested hun" or "I work to implied, babe" or the model is so far of the criteria, a response would be pointless. The above probably applies to 80%, so I guess I must have a 20% reply rate to casting applications, I don't feel this is rude at all. I also don't really welcome requests for critique from models whom I have turned down as honest critique on why she is unsuitable would almost certainly be seen as offensive, as in most cases it would be based on how she looks and is probably something she can do little to change, so is unlikely to be constructive. .

+1
"I am the one who knocks" - Walter White

06 March 2013 08:21
Tansy_Blue
Model

It's life. Some people just have their heads up their bums.

Not getting a response to casting call applications is par for the course, photographers often get dozens and dozens of responses especially for paid castings, and not everyone has the time to respond to each, even with a copy and paste message. People being rude is rarer and not excusable, but there will always be that one person who thinks they are the absolute bomb and if you don't agree they'll be an arse to you.

One of the funniest ones I had was this guy who approached me for some glamour work...at the time I was doing regular work with a painter, and that + school was keeping me busy enough, so I told him that I wasn't accepting any work on top of that. His response? "One day you'll have to get a real job..."

Few months later same guy approached me for paysite work. I don't do paysites so declined. He responded by advising me to audition for Babestation "if you're short of cash, the competition's stiff but you might get in". Excuse me, did I ask you for career advice?
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
06 March 2013 08:22
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Quote from PeterH

+2

LouiseMS is off-line
06 March 2013 08:56
TexasB
Model
TexasB
West Sussex
lancing

Thank you for the input guys,I am in no way saying its the photographers who don't reply to me if I apply to a cc that are rude...I'm aiming this at a photographer who messaged me in a rude way,and as its the first time its happened I was a tad shocked,epsecially as he then blocked me stating 'don't bother applying to any of my castings again',so far every photographer I've dealt with has been friendly so I was a bit pouty about it!! I understand that people who put out cc's can't respond to everyone,I was having a 'rant moment' as I've seen lots of forum posts aimed at models behaviour so wanted people to see it does work the other way round too :-)

Missie is off-line
06 March 2013 12:41
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

What you did is no different from a photographer not bothering to read your profile and messaging you asking to do adult work.

If you do that you run the risk of annoying people.
"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

06 March 2013 13:00
cathfazaxxx
Model

I think models, photographers, muas ect... are all bad as each other. You get nice people and then you get rude people. It's life.

If they have blocked you, block them back, you now know they are unprofessional and waste of time.

When I put castings up for TF I get 30+ messages half of them don't listen, same as models applying for paid work. I do write though 'if unsuccessful I won't respond' so they kind of understand.

But I do feel models get slated way too much from insiders and outsiders.
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexa_Fierce92 AnnThompson toniallcorn
ansonphotography casell cliffc colinhouse frankpht GlasgowPhotographer James7799 keithmorgan17 keltica Martyn_b mikehemmings modelboutique Peter_d_photography peterh Snooper911 tms vipimages
harbourstudio