Reminder Secure

Hello, confidential help required

Bradders is off-line
02 March 2013 07:08
Bradders
Photographer

Berkshire
Caversham

hello, I should say at the start that I am a tog not a mua.

I am redesigning my boudoir service and taking it upmarket (hopefully not killing it in the process). I have previously charged very little and allowed them to choose whether they pay extra for a mua but from now on it will be included in the standard package. would any of you (especially if you are in the Reading area) mind giving me a guide price for this type of work, confidentially of course. The new style of shoot will, I think, take about four hours

Thanks for your help

Mark

02 March 2013 07:45
Maloby
Photographer

Quote from Bradders
I think, take about four hours

Movies can be criticised for being good but too long (and lately I have heard strong criticism of wedding photographers hogging the special day). I don’t know the type of shoot you are planning but it better be worth it for someone to hang about for 4 hours. That is unless hair and makeup are taking two hours? Well not everyone is Ivory Flame I suppose!

Bradders is off-line
02 March 2013 09:28
Bradders
Photographer

Berkshire
Caversham

It's boudoir so hair and makeup is an ongoing part of changing the look with different outfits during the shoot. Clearly it is not a wedding. I get the feeling you are criticising me but I don't know why, no, not everyone is Ivory Flame, what's your point?

02 March 2013 10:10
Maloby
Photographer

Quote from Bradders
It's boudoir so hair and makeup is an ongoing part of changing the look with different outfits during the shoot. Clearly it is not a wedding. I get the feeling you are criticising me but I don't know why, no, not everyone is Ivory Flame, what's your point?

I’m not criticising you I’m just saying that this must be a top grade product in all respects to last so long. Or you have access to a grand hotel or house. Or you’re going to pamper them to a great degree. In your original post you did not mention hair – is the MUA doing this as well as?

For someone to tell you the current price they need to know what the offer is.
  1. Location
  2. Up to X set changes
  3. Up to X outfit changes
  4. Food/drink provided
  5. MUA + Hair or MUA does hair
  6. Is it done as a group i.e. shooting multiple clients with one MUA (which would devalue the product)
  7. Number of edited shots expected to be produced
There is a great range in the expense in producing and quality of this type of work. But sometimes it is the overall experience that sells the job and my only worry is that 4 hours is a long time.

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
02 March 2013 11:56
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

Your profile describes you as experienced professional photographer with Boudoir as a speciality, just wonder why you need to ask this question? Don't be surprised if you are not inundated with replies from any professional photographer in a 100 mile radius.

Phil Moto is off-lineSilver Member
02 March 2013 14:22
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Sorry, am i missing the point here, The 'op' mailed this on the MUA forum part and MUA general chat,,, his question...wrongly or rightly composed and written was aimed at MUA'S which is why he put it in the MUA forum section...and not the photographer general chat...So why have all the replies been from Photographers??? People bored today?

Orson Carter is off-line
02 March 2013 15:41
orsoncarter
Photographer
orsoncarter
Somerset
near Frome

Quote from xtiggerx
Sorry, am i missing the point here, The 'op' mailed this on the MUA forum part and MUA general chat,,, his question...wrongly or rightly composed and written was aimed at MUA'S which is why he put it in the MUA forum section...and not the photographer general chat...So why have all the replies been from Photographers??? People bored today?

+1

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck

02 March 2013 19:03
Maloby
Photographer

Quote from xtiggerx

My bad, sorry. I opened this post from the front page and assumed it was in a photographer section regarding the total package price including MUA.

Fisherface is off-line
02 March 2013 19:36
Fisherface
Make-up Artist
Fisherface
Suffolk
Lowestoft

Hi Bradders,

I do this type of thing for local studios.

Depending on exactly how far I have to travel, I generally charge  £40 to go along and do hair and make up.  This takes no longer than an hour.  I can stay and assist/change looks if required for an extra charge of usually £10 per hour....depending on the complexity of the styling.  Often clients prefer a female to be present during the shoot to help with posing ideas, but not always.

I think 2 hours shooting time is generally a good guide line as people get tired posing for much longer, particularly if they're not used to it and especially if make up time has taken up to an hour.

Hope this helps a bit. 

Malc is off-lineSilver Member
03 March 2013 05:17
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
London
London

might get a more sensible response by putting out casting calls for Muas in this and other sites maybe? there are many mua folks who don't join model portfolio sites. I guess the website "indeed" is still around. and fb is a resource source too surprisingly.

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Krystald maria_dyl Rosamund toxicinnocence
Anthonyk freddie GerryS2 kaosrox liteangle lukaszmarcinkowski Matthieulefevre MauricesImagery mike0048 photomart picusio rscott360 steveh32