Reminder Secure

I need A LOT of help...

Jessica V. is off-line
18 February 2013 17:55
JessieBaby2000
Model
JessieBaby2000
Illinois

Hi! So my name is Jessica and I am new to this whole thing so I have quite a bit of questions. Hopefully, someone will be willing to help me out and answer some of these. Please, please, please no rude comments about how I am "SOOO DUMB", or "unprofessional", or "amateur". I already know all of these things so please don't waste your breath. I have wanted to be a model ever since I was younger, but my parents always said no because we never had much money. But people constantly tell me that I look like a model and that I should be one! I want to try, but I'm having trouble because I have NO IDEA how to start.

Okay so first question, how should I start my modeling career? You may leave stories about how you got started as well, that would be helpful.

Should I have professional photos when first starting out or are snapshots alright for beginners? If I do need professional photos, then how much does it usually cost to get these?

How can I grab the attention of an agency? And how to know which ones are legit?

And lastly, do you think I have what it takes to become a model? If you want, you could go to my profile and view my pictures (which are all snapshots) and my stats, and let me know what you think. You don't have to though if you don't want to, just a suggestion, but it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you to whoever helps me out here! Hope I see some comments

18 February 2013 18:27
mg2611
Photographer

The only way you're gonna find out is to go see a few reputable agencies and see what they say.

Most people on this site are in the UK and will have no idea who the reputable agencies are in your immediate area.

Ratana Rose is off-line
18 February 2013 18:31
RattusRock
Model
RattusRock
County Durham
durham

first of all at 5"7' you are a bit short for most fashion agencies (maybe commercial modelling will be the best area)

second, this site is mainly England, you could try model mayhem i believe they have more American photographers

third, agencies will want just simple casting shots... NEVER pay agencies, if they ask you too its likely to be a scam

good luck

Jessica V. is off-line
18 February 2013 18:39
JessieBaby2000
Model
JessieBaby2000
Illinois

Oh now that you mention it, I did realize that a lot of people on here are from the UK but I didn't think about it... Whoops... But thank you anyways this has helped a bit! I will definately check out model mayhem as well.

Chrissie Red is off-line
19 February 2013 02:28
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

I think the images you currently have on your portfolio are fantastic at showing people what you look like and i imagine they would do the job of attracting people to ask you for a shoot.

As mentioned this is mainly a UK website - Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England.

Model mayhem is pretty good, there are also lots of articles with advice over there which might be better suited to American models such as yourself.

People can help and advise however the thing you need to figure out is what you want from modelling and what styles you want to do.

It could be creating nice pictures in your spare time, making money or a mixture of both.

I ended up doing a mixture of both and its fantastic fun meeting new people and being involved in so many interesting projects, so rewarding on various levels.

Cx

ps- I think you have a wonder smile and very toned physique as well as beautiful hair so I don't see why you couldn't do well as a model. I don't know enough about agencies or American ways of things though but from an internet model view I think you look great.

PHOTOJOE670 is off-lineSilver Member
19 February 2013 03:08
PHOTOJOE670
Photographer

Cambridgeshire
GODMANCHESTER

Hi Jessica,

to throw my twopenneth in, i'd offer you a photoshoot if you were in the uk,,, there are quite a few american and european models listed on here, so do a search for photographers in your area, and you will probably find one which will do some time for prints for you,, to get started and gain a bit more experience,,, dave

Suzy Monty is off-line
19 February 2013 12:29
SuzyMonty
Model
SuzyMonty
Cornwall
Truro Cornwall -enjoy travelling! -Published Internationally

ALL you need to take picturewise, into a model agency casting....ONE good head shot (no makeup), ONE profile head shot, (No makeup) Also full length bikini shots, showing front, back and side views...all pretty BASIC stuff...nothing arty...

Do NOT pay out getting professional portfolio. When agency (hopefully) takes you on, they will advise which photographers they know of who do free test shots for your 'book'.

Best if you telephone an agency first and see when their casting days are.

Go to casting looking as natural as possible. Hardly any makeup.

These are reputable agencies in your area...I would try FORD first. (Do your homework on the internet - to see which suits your look the best).

1. Ford Models Inc311 W Superior St #444
    Chicago, IL

(312) 243-9400
    www.fordmodels.com/
      58 W Huron St
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 943-3226

Stewart Talent Agency

www.stewarttalent.com/Share
      456 N May St
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 829-9100

B Creative Talent

www.bcreativetalent.com/
      1017 W Washington Blvd #4F
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 601-2345

Lily's Talent Agency Inc

www.lilystalent.com/
      120 N Green St
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 455-1467

HOP Model & Talent Management Chicago

www.hopmodels.com/
      150 N Michigan Ave #800
    Chicago, IL
    (312) 588-3302

Chicago Top Models Inc

www.chicagotopmodels.com/
    6 Google reviews

GOOD LUCK!
Elizabeth Arden quote - 'I'm not interested in age. People who tell their age are silly. You're as old as you feel' OR LOOK...

Missie is off-line
19 February 2013 12:45
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

Hiii!

First off - It's lovely that your friends say nice things, But don't base ANYTHING on things your friends say. Most of them are well meaning but know nothing and will probably just end up annoying you if you let them have too much input.

Your snapshots are adequate and actually I am pleased to see a new face here that has taken the time to actually take these properly instead of a duck face bent over in the mirror phone pic. Well done on that.

The other advice here is great
"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

diipii is off-line
19 February 2013 16:04
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

You grab the attention of an agency by walking through their door... not alone.
The good ones don't charge you.
You will find out double quick if you have a future as a model.
Either way don't take it personally. It's only about how the camera sees you not what sort of person you are.
Have fun.
It only happens all the time.

Jessica V. is off-line
19 February 2013 18:03
JessieBaby2000
Model
JessieBaby2000
Illinois

Thank you guys so much for all your comments! Once again, I did not realize this was mostly a UK site until later. However, the advice I got on here is great. Suzy Monty, thank you for giving me that list on the various agencies in my area! And thank you for the compliments on my photos as well. Should I delete my profile on here then if its mostly UK?

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
annanicole Carliegomez24 generixllc isobel111 kacie Olivia75 prettypolly Princesspixie1
antoinewynn Antz appareil bbphotos Blancho david1500 hodgen LeeBinns Mike103 Njsphotography Phiesta1 picusio rscott360 siclews Stoker viewphotographic
kerandastudio2