LouiseMS is off-line
17 February 2013 03:31
TexasB
Model
TexasB
West Sussex
lancing

hi all,
well as a model one of my ultimate goals is to get published in some magazines...so i'd like some advice on how to maximise my chances of doing so please. I've been told to send images into every lad's mag/tattoo mag that has a 'bedroom babes/real girls' section?will that help? or do i just wait and hope i get noticed? lol any advice will be great,thank you

17 February 2013 03:50
mg2611
Photographer

My experience of sending material in to lads mags is that it's far more likely to get published if the photographer sends it in rather than the model. This is because the mags are rightfully cautious about copyright issues. So try to find photographers that are willing to work with you and submit. Don't be surprised to get rejections though as for the most part these mags do not pay for images so the better photographers will ask you to pay them for their time. Up-and-coming photographers might be willing to do it free but it will depend on whether they think your look is right for their book too.

Good luck.

Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
17 February 2013 07:44
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

You need to find a photographer who will do a short casting shoot with you and for the photographer to submit it to the publisher for prior approval of a full shoot. Photographers who shoot for publication know what their clients need.

I do that with my models and, once I have publisher approval, I can pay the model for the shoot in the knowledge that it will be published.

The other thing is for you to consider your levels. You have eliminated 99% of your publication possibilities by excluding adult levels. I will not cast or shoot for publication unless the model will work to adult levels in both stills and video.

Chrissie Red is off-line
17 February 2013 08:19
Chrissie_Red
Model
Chrissie_Red
Tayside
Perthshire

Quote from Claypaws
 You have eliminated 99% of your publication possibilities by excluding adult levels. I will not cast or shoot for publication unless the model will work to adult levels in both stills and video.

Huh?!
Thats like saying to a photographer "You wont get published unless you shoot adult" (99% is a massive percentage).
What about all the newspapers/commercial shots/hairdressing magazines/car magazines/wedding mags/ fashion mags../Photography magazines.
When I go into your average corner shop there is a far bigger selection of magazines on the lower 4 shelves than the top shelf.

To the OP - although I don't think you would be silly enough - PLEASE PLEASE don't pose to adult levels just to get into "teensluts" magazine or anything like that.. 

I haven't been published much, a few photography magazines/a book cover and random fashion pieces and the like. I never specifically set out to be "published" it just kind of happened but I presume the best way to go about it is looking at who gets published and working with them. Don't apply to everything which says "FOR PUBLICATION" unless you know it actually is and that their definition of publication doesn't just meant one of their pictures being accepted onto the vogue italia website or worse an online magazine .

When I started out I had quite a few messages from chancers bragging about how they had been published but in reality their images of topless girls on a bed would have had as much chance of being published if the model shot the pictures herself with a camera phone.

I've been paid for everything which has been published with me being in it - I have no idea if the photographer has been or not though. Be careful of the "vanity" publication side of things, there are thousands of "online fashion mags" around and to be honest they usually fall apart after 1 or 2 issues and the only people who read them are the people who gave them all the free content.

Its nice having images from shoots contained in things but you know what - the quality is usually pants compared to a nice print of a shot in full size. It would be nice to say "highly published" but really it doesn't mean that much, same with the "agency standard".. So many Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ty publications and Chrissie_Red is a naughty person ty agencies around that the value of either statement is totally lost.

x

17 February 2013 08:50
mg2611
Photographer

I assume he mean't to say "paid" publication opportunities - as in both the photographer and model being paid.

Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
17 February 2013 08:56
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from Chrissie_Red
Huh?!

Thats like saying to a photographer "You wont get published unless you shoot adult" (99% is a massive percentage).

What about all the newspapers/commercial shots/hairdressing magazines/car magazines/wedding mags/ fashion mags../Photography magazines.

When I go into your average corner shop there is a far bigger selection of magazines on the lower 4 shelves than the top shelf.

Maybe 99% is somewhat of a hyperbole but the point still stands, IMO.

The OP asked about her chance of getting published and wanting to maximise it. The majority of models do not work to adult levels; and that is fine and no model should be pressurised into working beyond her comfort zone. Because most models work below adult levels, there is far more competition in non-adult work and a far lower proportion of non-adult models can achieve publication than adult ones. The same applies to photographers.

Let us say there are 1000 opportunities for non-adult and 1000 opportunities for adult (i.e. the same for each). There are 2000 contenders for the adult work and 10000 for the non adult. So the adult model gets a 1 in 2 chance of being published compared to the non-adult, who gets a 1 in 10 chance. Chance of publication does not just depend on how many publications there are. It depends on how many models are chasing the same jobs.

The OP must make her own decision about what level she wants to work to. But chance of publication depends on the ratio between models and opportunities. And that ratio is more favourable in the adult market.

Neil Anderson is off-line
17 February 2013 09:19
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

The surefire way to get published is to go out with someone famous (especially if they are 'happily married').
As Friday's Sun shows, you can get on the front page of a tabloid if your famous boyfriend kills you.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Iain Thomson is off-linePlatinum Member
17 February 2013 09:23
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bedfordshire

Quote from Claypaws

The OP must make her own decision about what level she wants to work to. But chance of publication depends on the ratio between models and opportunities. And that ratio is more favourable in the adult market.

Yes, but there is "publication" and "publication"

There are maybe half a dozen adult websites and maybe the same number of adult magazines in the world from which a non-adult model may actually benefit positively from being published on or in, (and are of a standard that most models adult or non-adult wouldn't get the chance to pose for anyway) for the rest, the best advice is take the money and keep quiet about it unless you actually want to make a career as an adult model..and I suspect the OP does not.

I think there are very few cases in which you could consider adult related material a true "publication" in the terms the OP meant..
I tend to be a modest man, but then I do have a lot to be modest about.

LouiseMS is off-line
17 February 2013 09:30
TexasB
Model
TexasB
West Sussex
lancing

Thank you for the advice and opinions guys :-) now the big question,If I want to find a great photographer who does shoots for publication,can I put a casting up for that?or just search through them all? :-)

17 February 2013 09:34
mg2611
Photographer

Quote from LouiseBon
Thank you for the advice and opinions guys :-) now the big question,If I want to find a great photographer who does shoots for publication,can I put a casting up for that?or just search through them all? :-)

Few if any of them bother checking castings - they're already busy enough working with people that have contacted them directly.

30 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
alishaa Ashleighmckenzie Carliegomez24 kacie REDXXX
antoinewynn Cheshunt83 davewilliams david1500 Dolayley flawless_photo gshocker30 gunnergraham gwentman humphries hylander iestyn jackw jonnywoo Jph1954 kalixte mike0048 nickdandalos orca_photography Pendragon140994 rscott360 Spiritofwales stevegosh Studio1 tonycsm