vickie_88 is off-line
15 February 2013 10:33
sexyshawty
Model
sexyshawty
Dorset
Dorchester

Hi I am Vickie

I was wandering if anyone knew of a really good place to get good backgrounds from for home studios ?

Also if anyone has any good ideas for a home studio would love to hear, I currently have complete white wall, black backdrop  and sliding french doors overlooking the countryside

15 February 2013 10:38
mg2611
Photographer

Paper backdrops don't last long and the cost of replacing them will just eat into your earnings. Are photographers complaining because you don't have one?

Razoir is off-line
15 February 2013 10:44
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Lastolite for cloth BGs and cloth BGs that are mounted onto frames etc.
Lastolite for free standing BG support systems, to hold up cloth or paper BGs.
Manfrotto for better quality free standing BG support systems or wall mounted BG systems.
Ads in back pages of most photography magazines for paper BG rolls.

IF you want to have a semi-permanent paper system, then go for Manfrotto wall brackets, that take three winding systems and three rolls at a time. Your problem will be choice of colours. No matter which you chose, you will never have in stock the colour the photographer wants.

I would go for black, white and a middle of the road red. Or blue.

IF the photographer is skilled enough in lighting, then you only ever need one BG colour. Platinum grey. You underlight it and get black, you over light it and get white. You gel the lights on it and get whatever colour you want at whatever degree of darkness you want by adjusting the amount of coloured light. You may not have room for that. Or enough lights.

Calumet is your best bet for Manfrotto gear.
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Russell Smith is off-line
15 February 2013 13:39
attitude
Photographer
attitude
Birmingham
Walsall

I would recommend you check out http://www.studiodecor.co.uk/

Star Shots is off-lineSilver Member
15 February 2013 14:23
Star_Shots
Photographer
Star_Shots
Northumberland
Blyth

Sounds like you already have enough options to avoid using backdrops. I have a couple and use them as little as possible. Saves time and space not using one.

vickie_88 is off-line
15 February 2013 14:54
sexyshawty
Model
sexyshawty
Dorset
Dorchester

No photographers are not complaining I just wanted to set up a home studio and see if there was anything else anyone thought I might be missing x

15 February 2013 15:09
mg2611
Photographer

Quote from sexyshawty
No photographers are not complaining I just wanted to set up a home studio and see if there was anything else anyone thought I might be missing x

My personal preference is to have the model's home environment as a backdrop rather than a plain backdrop.

I might be tempted to use some classy, arty wallpaper as a backdrop if it was available. You could hinge together two cheap internal doors of the type to be found in B&Q and then cover one side with fancy wallpaper. Easily changed from time-to-time (for variety) and conveniently stored behind a wardrobe or bookcase when not being used.

gerryquiff is off-lineSilver Member
15 February 2013 15:25
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Lanarkshire
Bonnie Scotland

Quote from sexyshawty
Hi I am Vickie

I was wandering if anyone knew of a really good place to get good backgrounds from for home studios ?

Also if anyone has any good ideas for a home studio would love to hear, I currently have complete white wall, black backdrop  and sliding french doors overlooking the countryside

What's wromg with using the countryside outside your window 

CAT WANTED. Must be large enough to make Davy Crockett hat. (6 7/8) Prefer ginger

19 February 2013 08:14
Tayla
Model

Try Ebay. xx
don't fall in love with someone you can live with, fall in love with someone you can't live without ♥

Missie is off-line
19 February 2013 09:13
Missie0290
Model
Missie0290
Merseyside
Newton-le-Willows

Off topic but can I suggest correcting your measurements on your port. (You've listed two different heights, and your waist bigger than your hips, unless you have a big belly, it should be the other way round)
"[Toni] has a short fuse when it comes to stupidity"

4 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
WestRockCareers
photofrank Shootonlocation snappytim