Reminder Secure

Maltese Letting Agents - the pain!

Oliver Cook is off-line
13 February 2013 08:55
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

Just a little rant to get it off my chest. So I'm moving to Malta to escape the rat race and live a more relaxed lifestyle. Instead of just rocking up and winging it I decide to use  a letting agent - knowing that it would cost a bit more but figuring it would be less stressful and more secure. 

What a wally I was. It turns out that all of the properties that show up on their websites as 'available' are actually 'unavailable' and that they all, on average, take 3-5 days to respond to emails. Anyway, I eventually find one who only takes a day or so to respond and they find me a place. They ask if its ok if I give them a month because the owner wants to 're-tile and change a few pieces of furniture', so I say "fine, I just need a firm date by the 12th of Feb" - and they say thats cool and everything is lovely. Then I find out today that the landlady decided to totally gut the place instead and rennovate it all for me, but now she has no idea when it will be ready. 

The annoying thing is they are all so nice its impossible to get mad at them, but I'm really starting to wonder what the actual purpose of a letting agent is in Malta as they don't really organise or communicate anything. As this is my first experience with letting agents in the Mediterranean I thought I'd see if anyone else has nuggets of wisdom concerning our southern cousins? Should I just tell them to take a hike and try to deal direct with a landlord, or will that be even more like trying to get a hungover sloth into gear?

It certainly bodes well for my relaxed lifestyle of the future, but makes me see why the European Union is in trouble wink

Charlie Z  is off-lineSilver Member
13 February 2013 08:57
zoepinknose
Model
zoepinknose
Spain
albox Almeria

That's the problem... They are just so relaxed they're practically horizontal
Never a dull moment

Oliver Cook is off-line
13 February 2013 08:59
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
Malta

I can't wait to become just like them

21 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
davenport fashion29 pinklilly Sandycub
bengie cliffc cps diphoto Finallyhere guitarman jdunvillephotography Ladiesman mikebee oscar philippahh Rhadamanthus studio17 Thunder_Photos two_stops Visions11 xcellent