Question to models ....

Martin Newton is off-lineSilver Member
06 February 2013 08:59
A_MPhotography
Photographer
A_MPhotography
Greater Manchester
Horwich

This may sound a bit strange, but as a model you do the work at xxx amount per hour, but then if i was to say i wanted to use them for publication in magazines, books etc would your rates then change?

06 February 2013 10:08
Tansy_Blue
Model

Depends entirely on what it was.

If it was for a prestigious magazine, a tear from which would look good in my portfolio, I'd probably reduce my rates. (Only for guaranteed publication though, none of this "I'll submit it and I really hope it'll be published please work for free" bull.)

If it was for a well-financed campaign that the client was expecting to profit greatly from, I'd probably ask for a bit more. I've never been booked for something like that though and I probably never will be, so that's all a bit hypothetical.
"The poetic, the scientific, the erotic - why should the imagination care which master it serves?" - Ian McEwan

06 February 2013 10:11
JadedRed
Model

Quote from A_MPhotography

This may sound a bit strange, but as a model you do the work at xxx amount per hour, but then if i was to say i wanted to use them for publication in magazines, books etc would your rates then change?

Probably not, but its possible.

I like photographers to be honest with me about what they intend to do with the pictures, but its a trust system.

Sapphire is off-lineSilver Member
06 February 2013 11:32
BlueSapphire
Model
BlueSapphire
South Yorkshire

To be honest i much prefer photographers to give me a rate and a shoot description as each shoot is so individual and that way I can decide whether I think its a fair budget
HOWEVER I do have set rates and I do expect them to be respected - Iv had all the excuses in the book including - can you lower your rates because I want a new kitchen lol so I do have to be quite strict
I do mix and match i.e. I don't charge 4 hours of US Mag if its fashion through to that id charge an huor of each level, and I do try to be fair when costing up a job but I do often do it based on each individual job specification

I agree with JadedRed I like people to be honest but they often aren't

Sapphire Blue - 10 Years of Modelling and still at it

Claypaws is off-lineGold Member
06 February 2013 12:31
Claypaws
Photographer

North Yorkshire

Quote from BlueSapphire
To be honest i much prefer photographers to give me a rate and a shoot description as each shoot is so individual and that way I can decide whether I think its a fair budget

+1

That is exactly what I do for publication and the rate is for the shoot, not per hour.

Hugh is off-lineGold Member
06 February 2013 12:50
Hugh
Photographer
Hugh
Dyfed
Aberystwyth

I pay the same amount per hour whatever I'm shooting, and wherever it's going.

All the models I shoot with seem to work that way as well.

I wouldn't pay extra for a model release either - that game died long ago.
It's not Fine Art just because it's in Black and White.

Ariana Wood is off-line
06 February 2013 13:21
ArianaWood
Model

Kent
Maidstone

Depends on the assignment. I would expect a buy out fee from a huge client; but that's usually the company who pay, not the photographer.

For example, I know an agency model who was booked for M&S; It was £400 per hour, and then if the images were used, £25,000 buy out for 5 years.

However, I am not an agency model, so I'm sure I'll never have to worry about that

diipii is off-line
07 February 2013 14:50
diipii
Photographer

Worcestershire

Wrong way round.
As the photographer hiring a model you set the rate and you own the copyright.
It only happens all the time.

Chris Dee is off-line
07 February 2013 15:59
ChrisD
Photographer
ChrisD
Hampshire

Quote from A_MPhotography

If the photographer is doing the hiring and shooting for a client ( their employer ) the photographer has a fee in mind ( or should do ) regardless of the form of publication, and that dictates the rate, not the model.

Of course the model does have every right to refuse the payment on offer from their prospective employer ( the photographer )

They can also ask for whatever pecuniary reward they so wish, but in doing so may risk losing a job of work.

Just sayin' 

Mark Lawrence is off-line
07 February 2013 16:14
marklawrence
Photographer
marklawrence
Berkshire
Bracknell

I have all my models sign a model release form, which was drawn up by a solicitor. Its basic, but works. I always without exception talk to my models about the shoot, what its for. I also talk to my clients about the shoot and ask about publication where its going, how many copies if its a magazine etc etc. That way I can control costs for myself and the model/s. I do try and get the best terms possible for the models as we are a team when we work together...hope that helps, if you want the release form just email me...mark

0 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators