Business cards - worth the bother?

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
05 February 2013 05:30
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

Photographers, have you ever used a business card to get in contact with a model? If so, would you have otherwise been able to contact them ie found them on a model site/facebook?

Studio owners, do you have a collection of them in your studio ie on a notice board for photographers to browse?

alexkidd is off-line
05 February 2013 05:38
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

if it's a good business card and i've met the person and thought they were worth it i put it in my wallet and occasionally browse through them or pass them on to folk
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

w4pictures is off-line
05 February 2013 05:51
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

I've only found them useful at events. I would probably give a card to a model at an event because it does appear more organised than scribbling your number on the corner of a brochure but I generally forget to take any with me!

On the plus side, they're not much of a bother with sites like moo, vistaprint, goodprint making it pretty easy and cheap to get them done. Quality varies.

KevinJS is off-lineGold Member
05 February 2013 05:59
KevinJS
Photographer

London
London

Hi Jen,
They are good at events, you need to give the photographers heaps, that way with luck they pass them on and you get additional bookings.
Also on one to one booking it is worth it to pass on a few for the same reason

Kevin
I want to die in my sleep, like my grandather. Not screaming like his passengers

05 February 2013 06:42
Riverside_Studio
Studio

Hi Jen,

I do use them, and hand them out, do get some funny looks while in Sainsburys when I see a nice girl

I also ask models, photographer and mua's to leave cards on my pin board at the studio too.

Mark

FlashBangWallop is off-line
05 February 2013 07:54
FlashBangWallop
Photographer
FlashBangWallop
Lancashire
Blackpool

as above...exactly for that reason if nothing else.

"You'd be perfect for a photoshoot I'm doing...I wont bore you now but PLEASE email me for more info. My email is on the card"

Works very well without being aggressive.

djwilby is off-line
05 February 2013 07:59
djwilby
Photographer
djwilby
Essex
Dagenham

I think business cards are a great idea - much better than just putting a number in your phone.
All models/photographers should have them and give them out to all family members and everybody they meet. 

ATB
Darren
(A printer of business cards*)

* and other things!
I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

Jen Somerfield ♥ is off-lineGold Member
05 February 2013 08:26
JenSomerfield
Model
JenSomerfield
Bristol
Bristol

It seems they work for TF/networking, and for photographers. Will look into it though especially if studio owners will put them up

Pix Photography is off-line
05 February 2013 08:36
jetbrown
Photographer
jetbrown
West Yorkshire
Huddersfield

My photography often crops up in conversation and I always pass a business card on - suprising how many paid jobs result from random conversations.

Also gives you some credibility if you approach someone with a view to asking them to take part in a shoot.

As it has previously been said, offer a card with a brief explanation of why and ask them to get in contact if they are interested - gives them a sense of control and time to think about it in their own time.

I have started using Moo - although fairly expensive, I love being able to give customers a card which relates to the type of photography they would be interested in. I have cards with wedding scenes / model shoots / boudoir / couples / fitness / parties etc etc
So which bit do I look through???

Dave Beasley is off-line
05 February 2013 09:14
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Surrey
Guildford

Well worth it, looks much more professional than scribbling contact details on a piece of paper - and they are so cheap anyway, just no reason not to.

Dave

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Ana45 DanielleWx ElleLaura LunaDaze MissCaraJane QueenDeeVa01 RoxyMendez
Belemboo claypaws cliffc firsttake gerry99111 GGDP_Photography Jack_Ryan nemesis peterh skymouse