Reminder Secure

iPhone 3GS - has started switching itself off!

Tony Stephenson is off-line
31 January 2013 13:58
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

My iPhone 3GS has taken to switching itself off and being an absolute **** to get it back on! It happened once a few weeks ago and two or three times in the last few days.

I haven't let the battery get so low that it's caused it to switch off but I have noticed that although there was plenty of charge in the battery before it switched itself of, when I do eventually manage to get it to switch back on, the battery charge level seems rather low.
On the other hand, when the phone is working, the charge will last me a good two days which doesn't seem too bad for that type of phone so it doesn't appear to be a battery problem but I suppose it can't be ruled out!

I'm wondering if the there is a firmware fix for this and I did find some reports on Google of similar happenings with other iPhone 3GS but all they suggested was holding both buttons down to force it to switch back on. I didn't update to the recent operating system update or whatever it's called, so that can't be the cause!

Any suggestions or experience of this happening ? 

www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
31 January 2013 15:06
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Spooky! Mine did that this morning (and I too am still on OS5) and was utterly convinced I'd charged it either yesterday/Tuesday.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

31 January 2013 15:21
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
Spooky! Mine did that this morning (and I too am still on OS5) and was utterly convinced I'd charged it either yesterday/Tuesday.

Has yours done it before Steve?

www.le-femme.co.uk

31 January 2013 15:24
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

No
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

31 January 2013 15:26
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Come to think of it though... It has frozen a few times recently, meaning delays when selecting things or scrolling etc.

A couple of times I actually shut it down manually in case there's some sort of cache clearance or background process that is messing things up.

T K M is off-line
31 January 2013 17:18
8img
Photographer
8img
Greater Manchester
manchester

My sons phone had this problem. Randomly switches itself on or off.
He fixed it by resetting the phone back to factory settings but save all your files on iTunes first.

31 January 2013 17:51
promopix
Photographer

Mine does this, once a week maybe, I'm on OS 6. To be honest it's really started to slow down now, with over 6,000 images on it too, there's little room for much music these days, just started looking on eBay for a second hand 4Gs

04 February 2013 05:40
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Update: The phone seems to have settled down again after I managed to get it to switch on again and hasn't given me any more trouble!

The problem is that now I don't trust it and keep checking to see if it's still working!

The only explanation I can perhaps find is that I never actually switch it off or let it get to the stage where the battery is completely flat. I'm wondering if it's this which is the root of the problem?  Perhaps it needs to be switched off occasionally just to let it re-set itself?

I switched it on and off a few times once I'd got it back on so if others are having similar problems, it might be worth a try!
www.le-femme.co.uk

04 February 2013 07:02
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

I seem to remember one of the reasons for Apple introducing the 12W power supply for the iPad (over the standard 10W) was to 'jolt' misbehaving batteries back to life if they'd died.

It may be worth trying a higher wattage power supply (iPhone is 5W)

04 February 2013 07:31
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
I seem to remember one of the reasons for Apple introducing the 12W power supply for the iPad (over the standard 10W) was to 'jolt' misbehaving batteries back to life if they'd died. It may be worth trying a higher wattage power supply (iPhone is 5W)

One thing I did notice was that although it said that there was a full charge or nearly full, before it went off - when I eventually got it back on, it was showing quite low charge so maybe the cause is a low battery but the charge indicator is showing as full or nearly full which fools you into thinking it's not the battery?

I always keep my ancient Sony Ericsson C902 handy just in case... it's the only phone I've owned that has never given me any trouble...basic but utterly reliable and only takes a minute to swap over the SIM if the iPhone gives any trouble.

www.le-femme.co.uk

25 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
AmberBray fashion29 Miguel Winterlilly
bengie clarmike GerryS2 gshocker30 keltica Kjoservices Ladiesman MIB mlp Pat9669A philippahh Photo_phil poah Rhadamanthus ricciarelli Richard99 smooth_image steveh32 Stuh Willy_O xsa73