Reminder Secure

Any suggestions for tickly cough remedies?

Paul Hodson is off-line
05 February 2013 16:22
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from RedChecker
Already done that, their suggestion is to let it follow its course.

As there is virtually no evidence that cough medicines work......................
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

alexkidd is off-line
05 February 2013 16:39
alexkidd
Photographer
alexkidd
East Yorkshire
Hull

gees linctus if you can get it :P
www.as-images.com or co.uk ~ i lack interweb social skills and may come across a bit james blunt

Tony Stephenson is off-line
05 February 2013 16:40
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from mph
Quote from RedChecker Already done that, their suggestion is to let it follow its course.

As there is virtually no evidence that cough medicines work......................

There are cough suppressants - I regularly used Codeine Linctus (which contains a cough suppressant), when I had a sore throat / tickly cough when I was pro singer!

There's nothing worse than having a tickly cough, particularly at night and being unable to sleep as a consequence...

www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
05 February 2013 17:36
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from tonycsm

There's nothing worse than having a tickly cough, particularly at night and being unable to sleep as a consequence...

I'm fortunate in that I can sleep OK as it seems to calm down at night but it just absolutely wears me out and gives me a headache having to cough all day long, especially after two months of it
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

05 February 2013 18:27
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
I'm fortunate in that I can sleep OK as it seems to calm down at night but it just absolutely wears me out and gives me a headache having to cough all day long, especially after two months of it

Well the first thing to look at is the cause! I don't think it's natural to have cough for that long!
Something is obviously irritating your throat so the first thing is to identify the cause!

I used to suffer quite a bit with sore throats which obviously greatly affected me when I was on stage... I used all sorts of meds to keep my throat clear...Codeine Linctus always worked for me but the side effect was constipation which I didn't mind. wink
It used to be readily available until lazy twats who owned nursing homes for the elderly over-used it to sedate their inmates and so it was put on prescription only!

I also use something called Tripple A throat spray which 'froze' my throat and allowed me to be able to complete my gigs but it caused more harm than good as it took longer to recover from the damage that was caused by singing with an already sore throat!

www.le-femme.co.uk

Steven Jardine is off-linePlatinum Member
06 February 2013 02:18
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Buckinghamshire
Stoke Mandeville

Quote from tonycsm
Well the first thing to look at is the cause! I don't think it's natural to have cough for that long!

I'm on medication which prevents my immune system from working (or rather stops production of white blood cells), as a result of this any illness or infection I contract will end up being a long, drawn-out affair and there's a good chance I could actually end up in hospital with something as simple as flu.  One of the side effects of this drug is that I cannot take anything with alcohol in as it will destroy my liver (and it makes me sick anyway), and as such this rules out most oral medicines / linctus mixtures as they pretty much all contain alcohol in some form or another.
When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All of your pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.

06 February 2013 05:21
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

Quote from RedChecker
I'm on medication which prevents my immune system from working (or rather stops production of white blood cells), as a result of this any illness or infection I contract will end up being a long, drawn-out affair and there's a good chance I could actually end up in hospital with something as simple as flu.  One of the side effects of this drug is that I cannot take anything with alcohol in as it will destroy my liver (and it makes me sick anyway), and as such this rules out most oral medicines / linctus mixtures as they pretty much all contain alcohol in some form or another.

Sorry to hear that Steve... it's very tricky as you say and sounds like the protracted coughing could possibly be one of the sides effects of medicine you're already taking.

I often used natural honey or liquorice & blackcurrant sweets as a light relief but I don't know if they would work in your case...but even if the relief was only short-lived it would be better than nothing and give you some respite.

www.le-femme.co.uk

Rich G is off-line
06 February 2013 09:01
SMILESPHOTO
Photographer
SMILESPHOTO
Kent

I have a tickly cough as a side effect of my blood pressure tablets. I find sucking a mint just as helpful as anything the chemist offers.
HAPPY TO WORK UP TO OPEN WALLET LEVELS

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
06 February 2013 14:12
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

Boil up some water, add is some salt and baking soda.

Gargle it. Spit it out.

The Salt and Baking Soda shall kill the bacteria causing the sore throat or kill you. Either way the cough is gone.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

9 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
aprilscherz3 azurphotos casell Cliff Dphphotography FirstLifePhotography FlashHarold redbaron redtail