Studio days-where to go??

Jenelle_James is off-line
28 January 2013 08:54
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

Most of the shoots are do are north west based and im yet to really branch out, i do get mail from photographers at all corners of the country and so it has been suggested a few times that i sort a studio day out in another area of the country apart from the north west to accomodate other photographers. I have no issue with this, it seems a good idea but how do i make myself available to the photographers waiting for me to come in their direction, one of the obvious places is London, i have interest from the south and the south coast, but if i was to hold a studio day somewhere in or around London would the photographers from further south like Southampton, Brighton, Cornwall etc be likely more put off by the thought of travelling into London to shoot me on a studio day, i'd like to be fair with everybody but travelling around individually to each persons house/studio just seems a bit all over the place and i figured if i had enough numbers to fill a studio day then i'd just stay in the one spot, but at the same time i wouldnt want it to be off putting to photographers.

The same goes for the midlands area, around birmingham, would it be fair to hold a studio day there to accomodate those from surrounding areas and those on the east coast.

And finally would anybody have any recommendations for studios in those areas that are perhaps familiar or popular to photographers, i may also be looking at seeing who may be interested in booking time with me if i was to try and organise a studio day

any suggestions welcome

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
28 January 2013 10:16
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

If coming all the way to the frozen flooded wastes of Scotland then Pavillion in Bathgate os good, contrast in Glasgow.
I do not know others who do them.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Tempus Fugit is off-lineSilver Member
28 January 2013 10:17
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuildingphotography
Tayside

P.S. Contrast is in Glasgow.
Riding on the Gotterdammerung. Down and down she goes. Where she stops no one knows.

Jenelle_James is off-line
28 January 2013 10:32
Jenelle_James
Model
Jenelle_James
Lancashire
BURNLEY

strangely enough ive never had much interest from scotland lol im about to have my first ever shoot in glasgow in march, its only taken 7 years lol

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
29 January 2013 11:47
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

I'd happily book you if you're touring, but I'm increasingly reluctant to book time on studio days. My reasons being: I like to spend time chatting to models before shooting, I want to see their personality over a cuppa and biccies. The average studio day is £50+ per hour and I then feel under pressure to crack on straight away and shoot quickly, I don't like to work this way.

I'm happy to work at different studios but would feel pressured if the next shooter turns up for their slot early.

Also, it might just be me, but being familiar with lighting equipment is important. I know mine more or less inside out so can set it up, normally very quickly. I know at such and such a distance it will give me "x" exposure etc etc. Getting to know someone elses equipment can sometimes be a bit trial and error, or make me look a plum if some light or other is playing up, (Even though I always use a light meter).

On the few studio days I've done so far I've been lucky to work with good professional models, but have heard stories about models being tired and probably too knackered by the end of the day to model well.

These are only my thoughts of course, others will probably have a completely different view.

How hard can it be?

The Cottage Studio is off-line
30 January 2013 10:32
photo39
Studio
photo39
West Sussex
Albourne

Quote from Jenelle_James

And finally would anybody have any recommendations for studios in those areas that are perhaps familiar or popular to photographers, i may also be looking at seeing who may be interested in booking time with me if i was to try and organise a studio day

any suggestions welcome

If down south and specifically Brighton area I sucessfully host studio days. My website always shows upcoming events.

Natural Happy Girl is off-line
27 February 2013 19:05
Natural_happy_girl
Model
Natural_happy_girl
Hampshire

I would have thought if it's an area that you don't normally travel because it's too far, then it would be easy to pick up bookings the first time, because no-one's shot with you....

Why not do a few...decide you're going to go somewhere different every 4-6 weeks
e.g Reading, London, Brighton, Southampton......

if somewhere is popular and sells out quick see if you can extend and make a mini-tour...

pauls studios reading advertises for you if you haven't already worked there...in fact, a lot of the studios advertise for you.....

david's studio (manse) in wales is totally cooool place to work as he has EVERYTHING there!!

If you're willing to travel it's easier to get new customers, it's just making it worth your while to travel that's the issue... so think about that e.g travel and accommodation costs, and plan well in advance
Southern based art nude with creative outlook will put you at ease

28 February 2013 04:49
Riverside_Studio
Studio

I have been known to do studio days

Mark

Barney Douglas is off-line
28 February 2013 07:41
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
West Sussex
Worthing

I have a studio in West Sussex (see southdowns on this site) and I run studio days.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who would like to consider a studio day at my place

Barney
"Simplicity in Photography for over 25 Years"

28 February 2013 12:10
cathfazaxxx
Model

Pixel 8 - http://www.purestorm.com/pixel8

Gosh Studios - http://www.purestorm.com/goshstudios

Pauls Studio - http://www.purestorm.com/paulsstudio

Saracen House - http://www.purestorm.com/saracenhousestudio

Village Studios - http://www.village-studios.com/

DiselPunk Studios - http://www.dieselpunkstudios.co.uk/

As your North based most studios would probably do a weekender studio, so two days, better for you.
*dont let go of something you cant go a day without thinking of* <3

16 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
kacie kkoch
analog bbphotos boc david1500 dorrian eosfan Jamesrichards kingfisher lenspoynter MIB mike0048 MrDL Vinceb
matt