Math or Maths

White Python is off-line
22 January 2013 15:36
WhitePython
Photographer
WhitePython
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

I must admit I am a nightmare at work. i teach, and when kids ask me if they can "lend a pencil" I say "Sure, have you got one?" and they say "No, can I lend one?" and so it goes on...

And when they get stuck on some work I set, they suggest that I never "learned them that", and I of course say "No, i never learned you that!" They go on to ask how they could do it, and I say "Well, I taught it to you last week!"....and so it goes on...

David Heels is off-line
22 January 2013 15:58
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
South Yorkshire
Sheffield

The one that drives me mad, is... 'From the get go'.

What the hell does that mean?

'From the word go' was bad enough, but at least we all understood the Monopoly reference. What on earth is a Getgo? A small furry animal of some description?

Dave

22 January 2013 17:02
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from CTS_Studio1
when kids ask me if they can "lend a pencil"

I had a friend ask me once if he could lend a fiver, to which I replied, "It's your money, you can lend as much as you want." Of course, I 'borrowed' him the money in the end

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 January 2013 17:42
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from Crippen
The one that drives me mad, is... 'From the get go'.

What the hell does that mean?

'From the word go' was bad enough, but at least we all understood the Monopoly reference. What on earth is a Getgo? A small furry animal of some description?

Dave

That's not a monopoly reference it refers to starting a race and seems perfectly reasonable. Never heard your other phrase - is it local ?

Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 January 2013 17:44
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

Quote from PaulManuell

I had a friend ask me once if he could lend a fiver, to which I replied, "It's your money, you can lend as much as you want." Of course, I 'borrowed' him the money in the end

I think these illiteracy references are taking the thread, which is about Americanisms, off track.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Skymouse is off-lineGold Member
22 January 2013 18:26
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
London
London

Quote from stolenfaces
'Could I GET a Latte' meaning could I have... or I would be pleased if you would sell me is a most annoying and inaccurate phrase.

If I were a shopkeeper, my reply to a customer asking such a question would be "sorry, sir, you can't. But our staff would would be delighted to get one for you."

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx.

22 January 2013 18:31
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from stolenfaces

I think these illiteracy references are taking the thread, which is about Americanisms, off track.

Well I'm relatively new on here (2 months), but I read the forum a lot and I've yet to read a thread that hasn't, sooner or later, gone off the original topic. It just seems to be the way they evolve. But at least this diversion away from the original topic isn't that far removed. For an extreme example read the 'What's the most pretentious thing you've said/heard' thread.

w4pictures is off-line
22 January 2013 18:37
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
London
Chiswick

The significant thing about "mathematics" is that the word is plural. It is probably a contraction of mathematical problems/equations etc. in the same way as we talk of "electrics" as being a contraction of electrical circuits.

English has kept the plural as "maths" whilst the septics have made it singular.

Roswell Ivory is off-line
22 January 2013 18:51
Roswell_Ivory
Model
Roswell_Ivory
London
FULL-TIME TRAVELLER AVAILABLE ANYWHERE

"Should OF" makes me want to kick puppies.

And "infront", "alot" and "aswell"
WEBSITE: http://www.roswellivory.co.uk BLOG: http://roswellivory.wordpress.com

22 January 2013 18:56
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from

whilst the septics have made it singular.

Would those who disagree with the septics be known as antiseptic?

32 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
Alexis92 ElleLaura fizzy Marty2k10
bbphotos Brian2008 casell Djanimation eosfan forden_photo freddie geoffmarchant Gregory_Mason hodgen James7799 joolsy KDP Kjoservices lify mareeoosh Marleyman mauricesimagery mikehemmings Mikeoj moritz78 orkadia Phiesta1 piksmike rod_m99 rscott360 steveh32 togman