Reminder Secure

Math or Maths

RGBphoto is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 10:57
magpie1
Photographer

Tyne and Wear
Newcastle

I think it was the writer Gore Vidal who commented the Britain and America were" 2 countries separated by a common language". My personal American word shudder is their pronunciation of Oregano as Oreggano.

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 11:47
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

George Bernard Shaw
It was broken when I got here

22 January 2013 13:17
PaulManuell
Photographer

One that really gets my goat is newsreaders' pronunciation of Southampton, more specifically the second syllable. Surely the h is used in the first syllable, therefore the second one should be pronounced ampton, not hampton.

White Python is off-line
22 January 2013 13:38
WhitePython
Photographer
WhitePython
South Yorkshire
Barnsley

Quote from PaulManuell
One that really gets my goat is newsreaders' pronunciation of Southampton, more specifically the second syllable. Surely the h is used in the first syllable, therefore the second one should be pronounced ampton, not hampton.

Mine is newCASTLE instead of NEWcastle...does my head in. I don't know how the Geordies say it though.

I teach mathS at school, not math.

But my biggest and most annoying pet hate is the "There/Their/They're" problem. It is such a simple thing, but it seems so many people can't get it right.

And don't get me started on the "10 items or less..." queue in the supermarket! FEWER! "ten items of FEWER!

HowardJ is off-line
22 January 2013 13:56
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Surrey
West Midlands

Math is an Americanism. Maths is British.

22 January 2013 14:28
PaulManuell
Photographer

Quote from CTS_Studio1

But my biggest and most annoying pet hate is the "There/Their/They're" problem.

Along the same lines is your/you're. "Your gorgeous." "My gorgeous what?"

Tony Stephenson is off-line
22 January 2013 15:08
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
East Yorkshire
Driffield

I realise it's a bit OT and admit I'm a bit of a spelling pedant and don't know if it's an American spelling but the word that really grinds on me when I see it written is ' definately '!!!
Why can't they just spell it correctly? It's ' definitely '!

Regarding 'Math or Maths' - I first heard Math used by our American cousins but seems to have been adopted by a quite a number of UK citizens. Personally speaking, I think math sounds totally wrong! Just my opinion of course.
www.le-femme.co.uk

22 January 2013 15:18
Dekker
Photographer

I actually say "Math" as I grew up in an American speaking school, but I do correct myself when I'm writing!

The "your"/"you're" kills me. So simple, yet so misused. For people's amusement: http://youtu.be/32p8d6OudgU

...anyone that is interested in the origin of words has to check out this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005SZ0VXS/ref=r_ea_s_f) -- very short, very funny and fascinating.

Anyway, I digest...

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 January 2013 15:24
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

'Could I GET a Latte' meaning could I have... or I would be pleased if you would sell me

is a most annoying and inaccurate phrase.

I think on the other hand that 'get stuffed' is ok
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

Bill Haley is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 15:52
pompeytog
Photographer
pompeytog
Hampshire
Portsmouth

Nuclear, NOT Nu-killer. I notice how his tonyness changed his pronunciation of the word after his first meeting with George dubbya. Twat.
How hard can it be?

17 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
jensomerfield
bbphotos chrisfrancis18 daygo10 Dod1904 dorrian Essexjohn iestyn kimphot mauricesimagery mish65 Photojames43 redbaron Rhadamanthus Slickphotos wnynm
Matt