Math or Maths

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 03:14
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Back in the day when I was a lad was taught that the spelling was Maths now it seems Math is correct, Is this not the american paulford is a naughty person isation of our word or am i missing something?

Alan Johnson is off-line
22 January 2013 04:05
Alan_Jay
Photographer
Alan_Jay
South Yorkshire

It's an abbreviation of mathematics, and so is Maths.
The Americans tried a programme of simplifying spelling and knocked the 's' off the end.
There is a school of thought that spelling should be made simpler rather than exerting effort teaching people how to spell correctly. I recall a paper some years ago with things like 'frend', 'skool' and the like. As I recall this was universally rejected due to the lack of compelling argument to support it and that the supporters of the idea hadn't thought about the effect that this would have with regard to existing works, i.e. that there would be 'incorrect and potentially confusing' spelling in text books etc.

Of course there are also those who find typing extra letters is a problem.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a motorbike and that's pretty close! :o)

Razoir is off-line
22 January 2013 04:09
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Devon
Crediton

Well said Alan.
Quite agree, I am sick of American spelling and don't get me started on txt spk!
Who but a jazz man would say of Bridget Bardot, "Man, what key is she in?"

Nick Atkins is off-lineGold Member
22 January 2013 04:27
NATKINS
Photographer
NATKINS
Oxfordshire

Bad grammar and spelling is now endemic in our schools: On my son's school website they are advertising for a "parental governor'!

http://www.bartholomew.oxon.sch.uk
I've taken a vow of poverty - if you really want to annoy me, send money.

EdT is off-line
22 January 2013 04:56
EdT
Photographer
EdT
Cambridgeshire

Quote from Alan_Jay
It's an abbreviation of mathematics, and so is Maths.

Whilst I hate the use of the word Math rather than Maths; they are, surely, both abbreviations of Mathematics.

Paul Hodson is off-line
22 January 2013 05:24
mph
Photographer
mph
Cheshire
Crewe

Quote from EdT

Whilst I hate the use of the word Math rather than Maths; they are, surely, both abbreviations of Mathematics.

So is Mat - but that does not mean it is correct!
Amateur - happy to do TF with models with potential and enthusiasm. Website: www.mphodson.co.uk

Paul is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 05:48
DorsetHammer
Photographer
DorsetHammer
Dorset
Christchurch

Quote from paulford
Back in the day when I was a lad was taught that the spelling was Maths now it seems Math is correct, Is this not the american DorsetHammer is a naughty person isation of our word or am i missing something?

'Our' word?  The word Maths is derived from a Latin word which in turn was from a Greek word.

Math and Maths aren't abbreviations they are colloquialisms and therefore there is no right or wrong and no Americanism to be offended by.  
It was broken when I got here

Paul thomas Ford is off-lineSilver Member
22 January 2013 06:21
paulford
Photographer
paulford
South Yorkshire
Doncaster

Did a spell check on both ways of spelling it using English (GB) both seem correct. Still think its maths though.

Neil Anderson is off-line
22 January 2013 06:31
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
London
West London

The bigger error is that people who use math almost invariably mean arithmetic, and mostly the people who say maths also mean arithmetic.
Like any dealer he was watching for the card that is so high and wild he'll never need to deal another...

22 January 2013 10:50
pmeu
Photographer

To me it will always be maths and not math. And yes it does annoy me somewhat when I hear a Brit say math. Mind you not nearly as annoying as when newsreaders now say something along the lines of 'Union workers took to the streets protesting lower wages' .... surely it should be protesting against lower wages, shouldn't it? That seems to be an unwelcome Americanism that has crept in.

5 Users currently online   Blue=Models Orange=Photographers Red=Agencies Purple=MUA/Stylists Grey=Studios Green=Moderators
pinklilly
chandos FirstLifePhotography redtail steveh32